A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
826 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Multi use marinade-works on meat AND veggies.  (Read 729 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2008 02:46:58 AM »

I just wanted to pass on a recipe which has so much flavour you'll die and works with just about anything (I've so far used it on both meat and veggies). I served the veg version of the recipe to some vegans as an alternative to our new years meatfest and they loved it- as did the meat eaters!!!
I'm fairly sure it would work with fish too but I've not tried it. it's one of my store cupboard staples.

1 bunch fresh corriander, stalks included- to measure, put your first finger tip against your thumb knuckle- that's the diameter of the bunch you're looking for lol! alternatively by a coriander plant from a store and chop it up mercilessly. don't use coriander powder, it has a different taste.
1 fat red chilli, finely chopped- OR 1tsp (ish, to taste) dried chilli flakes. don't use the powder in this, it doesn't work as well.
juice of half a lemon, plus zest
4 cardamom pods cracked open and their contents smashed- don't use cardamom powder, it loses flavour too quickly
1 garlic clove shmooshed or finely chopped
3 pinches dried oregano- fresh is good, but oregano if one of the few herbs that really works better when dried.
very finely chopped onion- small onion for this, about 2 in in diameter
2 tbsps oil- any flavourless oil works
salt and pepper to taste- i use multi-pepper, the red, green, white and black corns you can get in some delis and supermarkets 'cos they rock, but black works really well too.

basic marinade
mix it all in a bowl except the oil. add the oil bit by bit until you have a chunky paste mixture. then spread over your chosen meat. rub in well. scoring the surface of the meat works well too. oven bake until done, remembering to turn halfway through and baste with any remaining marinade.

to do with veg, choose harder veggies that will stand up to being oven blasted.I like a mix of celeriac, parsnip, carrot, swede, potato and sweet potato. cut them into bite size chunks, mix with marinade, stick in a deep roasting tin or lasagne dish and cook until they are tender- make sure you remember to turn them occasionally.

interetsing pasta sauce
make up marinade but use less oil. pour over some vine tomatoes which have been scored on the bottom. place in a lasagne dish and bake until the toms go soft, basting regularly with the marinade. remove from oven and allow toms to cool. remove stalks and then either mash with a fork or blend if you like it smoother. you can remove the skins if you are that way inclinde but I never do 'cos i can never be bothered. add any left over marinade so long as it's not touched meat.
stir into hot spaghetti or taggliatelle. the heat of the pasta will heat the sauce up. remember, it's to coat the pasta not leave it swimming.

lamb koftas
for 2 people i use 250g lamb mince. I mince my own 'cos it works out cheaper but the packet fresh stuff works really well. frozen isn't quite so good, but it still works
handfull rolled oats
egg yolk if wanted

reduce the oil in the marinade to just a dribble. mix the marinade into the lamb. you can do this by hand or use a processor but I prefer the texture hand working gives. it is messy though.
once it's mixed, squidge a bit in your hand to see if it sticks together. if not add an egg yolk. if this makes it too wet, add a handful of rolled oats or breadcrumbs- it's all about balance.I use oats because I don't have that much bread about; yet I always have oats.
take a small lump and fry it until done, taste and adjust seasoning in the mixture.
now roll into sausage shapes and brown off gently in a pan. if you like your lamb pink you can serve it once they're browned off, but I don't so I then grill or bake them for 10-15 mins until thoroughly cooked.
serve with salad in pita breads, chapattis, tortillas... whatever flatbread you have.
I like yogourt on mine, my hubby likes Brother BruBru's sauce or Lingham's Chilli.

Please let me know if you try this, I'd love to know what others think about it 'cos it's a firm family favorite here.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008 05:22:46 PM »

sounds awesome. bookmarking this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008 07:09:18 AM »

for me these are great marinades
cheesy italian dressing- I think newman's own brand
and for the more adventurous
I use fish sauce, oyster sauce and a pinch of sugar to meat and then bbq it
YUM!- from an ex but still tasty nonetheless!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
cinnamon teal
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008 06:10:00 PM »

sounds really yummy!

fyi, fresh coriander is also known as cilantro.  dry coriander generally refers to the seeds of the plant which have a different flavor than the stems and leaves. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008 06:07:50 AM »

sorry, i have been trying to use maerican translations in recipes; I'm british. it's just corriander leaf or corriander seed here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Mary Louise Kelly: What Are You Reading?
California Sensibility: What Is California Literature?
Writer Alex Witchel On Loss In "All Gone"
Bangalore Literature Festival 2013 - Words from the Founders
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...