A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,123
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Valentine's Day Already?  (Read 2239 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

witchybelle4u2
I am the terror that flaps in the night...

"I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 18, 2005 01:39:03 AM »

How long until Valentine's Day? 27 days? Okay, don't panic...Plenty of time. Don't panic. But...What to do for my husband? This is only our third Valentine's Day together and our first as a married couple. He's 35, loves dvds, gothic music (especially The Damned)and collects autographs. But, can I incorporate any of this into a romantic and touching present that says "I love you, you crazy Welshman!" Huh?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
witchybelle4u2

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005 02:54:10 AM »

Sorry...I should have mentioned that I want to MAKE something for him. (Though maybe that should be obvious. Lol.) I've done the book thing with lots of meaningful quotes and pictures and poetry and all....And I buy him dvds all the time. So...I'm stuck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Careful...there are occupational hazards to being a god." (The Transcendent Pig)
zige

Raaarrgggghhhhh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005 04:09:56 AM »

I live in Wales, (luck me...) and can i enquire how patient you are with bits of wood?  a welsh tradition is to make love spoons (you proably know all of this blagh already) but they are sooo cute, and i know people who give them on every anniversary so they build up a collection, why not do the same and make him one for valentines.  There is that possiblility or you could make him a squashbook, i make my boy one every new year as a kind of reminder of the past year.  they are like concertined scrap books. http://www.coastalscraps.com/SquashBook.htm (thats the basic idea)
Zi
xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't suceed, cheat...then repeat until caught...then lie.
witchybelle4u2

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005 05:00:00 AM »

I love Welsh love spoons! They're so beautiful. I've never considered actually making one though. How the heck do I even start? I don't know anything about carving but I'd learn! I love the thought of putting a bat in the handle. Sort of a personal touch. (I'm liking the idea...Totally intimidated though.)

Which part of Wales are you from?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stripeycat
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005 10:14:33 AM »

OK, maybe it's not as cute,  but you could decoupage a nice wooden box with Gothic themed decorations for his autograph collection. 

Or you could decoupage a map of Wales on it.

If you go with the love spoon thing, I once saw a reaaaaalllly cute book on the art of spooning.  I love spooning, so I thought it was a great book.  You could include that with your gift to continue on the spoon theme.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zige

Raaarrgggghhhhh

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005 10:20:47 AM »

I dont actually coem from wales, im at Aberystwyth university. what about you?
when it comes to carving the little i know i learnt from the scouts.  When i carve i jsut use a lock back knife i bought from yeomans (camping shop) which i keep incredibly sharp.  I would guess for a spoon it would be best to start with a plank of wood.  If you could use a jigsaw to get the basic shape and then use a knife to round the edges and carve any detail then that would work.  If you get the wood from a timber merchants they may well cut it to get you started for you.  another thing, when you first learn, the bigger the better! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If at first you don't suceed, cheat...then repeat until caught...then lie.
skiptwobeats

just hear me out: i'm not over you yet.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005 04:14:40 PM »

When I was in art class last year, we got to make love spoons. I thought it was a pretty cute idea, and a very cute tradition, but at the time, I was feeling slightly scorned by love, so I made a "Hate Spork," instead. Oh, how lame I am sometimes.

Anyways, making a love spoon is actually kind of easy. You take a block of wood, about two-three inches thick, and about as long as a spoon, and you just start carving! When we made them in art class, we used simple exacto knives to carve the wood, but I guess it depends on what kind of wood you get. Our wood was obviously a very soft wood. To get a better idea of what the love spoon looks like, go to google.ca, type in "love spoons" in the image search, and you'll probably come up with lots of example.

It's a very cute idea. I completely forgot about this tradition. I might actually make one for my boyfriend for Valentine's Day. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just speak up. i know you're there.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Wear Stylish Belts
How to Wear Scarves in New York
How to Wear Wellies
How to Wear a Knit Hat
How to Wear Hats in New York
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...