A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Basic Stockinette Beanie?  (Read 691 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

connie149th
« on: January 18, 2005 12:45:46 AM »

Hi all! I was wondering if some of you can help me on this...I'm looking for a basic looking stockinette beanie pattern using 5.5mm knitting needles. Does anyone know a good pattern for it? i'm looking to make a beanie that will fit a 22" cir. head.
Well if i couldn't find a pattern and I was to do it myself, does anyone know if i was to use 5.5mm knitting needles, how many stitches do i need to cast on for it? Any help will be great! Thank you!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005 12:50:22 AM by Connie-Bo-Bonnie » THIS ROCKS   Logged
killerdaisy
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005 05:47:42 AM »

do a search for "kitten avec whip" & then scroll down to her "joao watch cap" pattern (its a pdf) - it uses size 7 needles, but i've made it using sz 10s also & its worked out just fine. i cast on 90 sts & do a k5, p5 rib for 5 inches (so that it can be folded over) & stockinette st until its as long as i want. then i use her decrease pattern - seems to work out pretty well

you can also do a search for "seaman's cap" & i know there's a good pattern (i think) called the "london beanie" - all excellent basic beanie caps that any search engine should turn up

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlings
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005 08:38:00 AM »

Does anyone know a good pattern for it? i'm looking to make a beanie that will fit a 22" cir. head.
Well if i couldn't find a pattern and I was to do it myself, does anyone know if i was to use 5.5mm knitting needles, how many stitches do i need to cast on for it? Any help will be great! Thank you!  Smiley

It isn't the needles that determines the number of stitches you cast on it's the gauge. Gauge is the number of stitches per inch - it is determined by the combination of yarn and needles and you won't know it until you knit up a sample of your yarn.

So before you know how many stitches to cast on, you have to pick a yarn. Aran or chunky yarns knit up nicely on needles of that size. Or you could knit with two strands of a thinner yarn (double-knitting weight or knitting-worsted weight).

Once you've picked your yarn, knit up a sample, measure the gauge and use that as a guide.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cheryl Cole Makeup Tutorial
Blac Chyna to Open Makeup Bar
Beauty Basics Trailer
Double Duty Makeup: Using Cream Blush for Pink Cheeks and Lips
How to Do a Smoky Eye
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...