A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: creative halloween costumes  (Read 188705 times)
Tags for this thread: halloween_costume , costume , costume_idea  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004 12:26:32 PM »

last year, me and my friends were the three musketeers, but one of them never made her costume, so we were the 2 musketeers! Cry oh well, still an awesome costume!!! we got old froofy shirts form thrift stores and funny old hats and put feathers in them! it was so fun! this year, we're gonna get a few other peopple together and be the 4 seaons! it's gonna be so fun!!!!!!!!!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004 02:35:47 PM »

Ok, bringing up this thread now is now VERY too early for Halloween costumes, but sometimes it helps to give yourself as much time as possible.  Here are some ideas for this year:

Once, my sister and her friend and I went as a monopoly board and a pair of dice.  The dice were just boxes painted white with black dots, with holes for the head, and arms, and an open bottom.  They wore all black underneath, and little dice earrings.  I actually painted a a four foot version of a monopoly board, front and back, and slung it over my shoulders like a sandwich board, but you could just use a board from a thrift store.

A couple years ago, my husband and I went as Mickey Mouse and Mickey The Mouse.  We found him a cheap double-breasted suit, fedora and a carnation, and I wore black tights and a tight black turtleneck, with some home-made red hotpants style shorts with big white buttons, and these yellow slippers I'd found, plus white gloves, and a headband with ears sewn on.

Last year, my daughter, then 11mo, went as Little Bo Peep and a sheep.  My mom made her a hooded snow-suit with curly mop fleece on the top, and black mitts and shoes, and I had a blue dress with waist cinch and one of those floppy ruffled hats.  My husband wore black jeans and a long-sleeved tee we painted in black and white stripes, and a black stocking cap and gloves.  He was my shepard's crook...  *boo hiss*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
ishou
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004 05:51:24 PM »

This is along the lines of Edward Gorey, but you could also be a silent film character.  The clothes don't have to be particular to the 1920's, since there were films like "Cleopatra" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"

and things like that.  All you need are some interesting black-and-white clothes and lots of eye makeup.
You could even carry around fancy cards with stock dialogue written on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love me some microfiche and felty things.
abricot
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2004 06:15:04 PM »

This is along the lines of Edward Gorey, but you could also be a silent film character.  The clothes don't have to be particular to the 1920's, since there were films like "Cleopatra" and "The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari"

and things like that.  All you need are some interesting black-and-white clothes and lots of eye makeup.
You could even carry around fancy cards with stock dialogue written on them.

*sigh* I love that movie... If I saw someone dressed up as characters from, or even as general silent "horror" characters, I'd have to marry them.....  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
Tracey
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2004 07:00:58 PM »

Yay HalloweeN!!!!!!!!!!!! Personally I think it's never too early for this holliday!  I always deck my house out to be the "scariest on the block"

this past year I was a (not Carrie) but a dead prom queen from the seventies... I got an awfully ugly (well now it'd be ugly) "prom" dress from a vintage shop.   Used my wedding tiara, frizzed out my hair, made a satin "Prom Queen Banner", painted my face pale, with dark around my eyes, and fake blook trickling out my mouth, and I had a fake knife through my head!

I loved it ! Cuz you know the Prom Queen always get slashed in the horror movies.

I felt bad at one time however, when a tiny girl aked her mom rather meekly "Why is there a knife in Cinderella's head?"

Cheezy idea, but you could always blow up a bunch of purple balloons, and tie green ribbons in your hair, pin the balloons to your clothes and go as grapes

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2004 08:17:47 PM »

In fact, if anyone knows a large enough group of people willing to go together, you could go as the fruit of the loom guys.

I went as Twister once.  Bought myself a white sheet and glued blue, red, green and yellow felt dots too it, then just cut a hole for my head, so that when I held my arms up and out, there was the twister board.  It was quite a popular costume, but be careful.  While out at the bars, I got a lot of not-so-clever drunk guys shouting things like "Right hand green" and then following through...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2004 09:13:02 PM »

I was Twister one year too!!  I made a sandich board though  &  painted it ....
Another year I took a beer ball & used that as a head & added antenne (I think I used sharpies to paint big eyes & a mouth on) I wore a tyvek jumpsuit that I splater painted with gold & silver paint & Turquise Knee High Chuckie T's (man I LOVED those silly things!!) I twas my version of an alien.

Actually my uncle worked at a checmical planyt & used ot give me tyvek jumpsuits all the time. I had them in all sorts of themes that I painted & stenciled.

One of my other favs was the year I *almost* got expelled for school for it....  LOL  In 6th grade a few of us girls wore full slips under our dresses to school. With tights & shoes. We then when it was time to "put on our costumes" we took off our dresses & wore our slips & carried our school books wiht a J Giles album... it is from a video...
  MAN WERE WE IN TROUBLE!!

Julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KOhlthemule
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2004 10:33:23 AM »

Halloween is my favorite Holiday,  I usually start planning the costume in July so I will be able to find all my needs.

2001  I was a witch and  Kohl was Micheal JAckson in THriller

2002   I was a Pirate,  I took old Polyester pants that I got for .40 from a thrift store, and  sewed a vest, hat/hankercheif and a belt thing.   We found the peasant shirts at the thrift store also,  and got some tightts....viola.  I decided to be a fat pirate and just used a throw pillow to acentuate the belly, The black hair, I super glued to y face,  I got the hair from the Witch Wig I wore the year before.  I DO NOT RECOMMENT SUPER GLUE NEAR YOUR FACE.  My mom put on the goatee and I ended up inhaling all the fumes (whether I breathed through my nose or mouth) and I felt like my lungs were melting.   THe eyebrows we used Elmer's glue and it was great.   Women kept telling me to get out of the bathroom because they thought I was a man.
Too Fun!!  

2003  My man was a NUN with a RON JEREMY MASK  and I decided to be the Andy Warhol PAinting of MArilyn MOnroe.   I won the most original PRize and everyone loved it.

It was easy.   Just take cardboard and make a hole in it for your face.  Take poster board and make a "Frame"  and paint it to look like wood or whatever.  then set your hair in curlers, and spray with florescent paint when done ( can get at halloween costume shop)  Paint your face and eyes according to the colors you want.   I used tole paint since the Face p[aint felt like lipstick and never dried.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Where are my scissors!!!
hijole

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2004 07:05:39 AM »

I can barely sew, but managed to pull together two pirate costumes.  For my daughter, we used checked pants, a white turtleneck, black boots, and a scarf that she already had.  I bought a women's vest from the thrift store and pinned back the armholes, making a pleat in the back (to draw in the fullness).  I sewed straight down what I'd pinned, and it ended up looking like a frock coat.  I also made her a little neck ruffle from some old sheets and a cape from a yard of flannel.

She insisted that our new baby be a pirate, too.  I made his shirt and pants from $1 bargain bin fabric.  I made a regular stocking-type cap for him and then tacked on a Captain Crunch style brim and glued on a felt skull and bones.  It needed trim, so I used cheezy-looking fabric paint.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2004 07:43:14 AM »

look how cute they are! GREAT JOB!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Classic Tiramisu
How to Make Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Frosting
How to Make a Healthy Dairy-Free Banana Ice Cream
How to Make a Healthy Raw Banana Pudding
How to Make a 90 Second Fruity Pizza
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...