A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,676
Currently Running With Scissors:
759 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Another ami bunny (now with kinda-sorta tut)  (Read 15182 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , bunny , rabbit  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BertaBerta
Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2008 09:55:51 AM »

At least, sort of.  This was for a swap, and my partner said that she loved amigurumi.  I'm a crocheter, but I've never done ami before, so it seemed like a good project.  I worked from a picture of a mini-lop and just kind of made things up as I went along.  I think he came out really cute, but I'm not sure that I really captured the amigurumi style.

With the boyfriend's head for scale:

Okay, here's my semi-tut for making your own bunny.  If you've done ami before or are pretty good at figuring things out as you go along, you should be able to follow this to come up with something more or less like my bunny.  If you need some ami pointers, this is a really nice basic tut, and includes a pattern for a basic ball which will be what you need to make several of the bunny parts: http://www.pepika.com/free-patterns/amigurumi-course.htm

First off, he's made of 7 parts: two ears, two feet, a head, a body, and a tail.  I made the head first, and scaled everything else to go along with that.

The feet and tail are just balls, though I elongated the middle of the tail ball a bit (just go around a few more rows once your ball reaches its max diameter before starting your decreases) to make it more oblong.  Do what you like.

The head is just sort of an egg shape, made using the same technique as the balls, but going longer in the middle before starting on the decreases.  The bunny-like shape comes mostly from the eyes.  As you're working, once you have a mostly-egg shape, play with pinching the sides of the head up by where the eyes will go to make sure you can get a bunny face shape you're happy with.  You'll make your pinched spots permanent when you set the eyes.

The eyes are the real trick to the shape of the head.  Remember - bunnies' eyes are on the sides of their heads, not the front!  Put them on when the head is almost done, but still has a hole for you to put the stuffing in and reach through to tie off the eye thread.  I used shiny black shank buttons, and stitched them on with one length of thread run out of the bunny's head, through the shank of one button, back through the head, through the shank of the other button, then back into the head.  Then you tie the two ends of the thread together inside the head to pinch the eyes in and make that cute little bunny nose-ridge.  Play with the tension on the thread before you finally tie it off to find the sweet spot where the head looks right.

The ears are just worked flat, and I used a hook one size larger than the rest of the bunny to make them floppier.  Start at the top of the ear, just making a rectangle.  I think mine was 4 stitches across.  Go until you're a little over halfway down the ear, then add some gradual increases, maybe one every other row.  When the ear is as wide as you want, decrease down quickly and end with just two stitches.  I think mine went something like 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 6, 6, 4, 2.  To give the ears a little more body and make them look more realistic, sew them on with a curve to the base.  That way the ear has an inside like a real bunny ear.

For the body, you start out working in a spiral keeping your increases such that you have a flat piece.  The flat part will be the bottom so that he can sit nicely.  To get more of a bunny shape and less of a circle, I started strategically placing my increases all at three points to create a triangle-ish shape once the base circle got to about 2 inches.  Two of the increase areas should be a little beyond where you want the feet to go, and the third goes near the tail.

Make the base the size you want the body, then stop increasing so the sides curve up.  Go up until you have maybe an inch and a half or so of side, then start gradually decreasing.  You want your body to come to a kind of flat, gently curved top, so keep the decreases moderate.  I decreased more towards the neck area and less at the butt, to make the front of the bunny tapered.  Use your own taste and discretion for the increases and decreases here.  They can be used to sort of sculpt the body to be as round or pointy as you like.

Now you should have a head with ears on it, a body, a tail, and two feet.  Sew your head on where you like it, using a long piece of heavy thread (I used embroidery floss).  When the head is attached, don't cut the thread, and stick your needle into the body right behind the center of the head and work it all the way through the body to come out where you want the tail to go.  Use that same thread to sew the tail on, cinching it to nestle the head into the neck and the tail into the body.  You should have a thread running from behind the bunny's head, through the body, and out to his tail if you've done it right.  Again, play with the tension until you find something you think is cute.

Tie off the tail, and then you just have the feet.  Put them where you like them and sew them on.  It's as easy as that.

Voila!  If you've followed all this rambling, you should have something that looks more or less like a bunny.  Reply or PM me if something I said here didn't make sense.  I'd love to see others' results.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014 02:53:40 PM by pinkleo - Reason: added tutorial to first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bold, One of a Kind Jewelry, Fiber, and Yarns: bertaberta.etsy.com
hello vera

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008 09:57:04 AM »

This is the best bunny ive seen in a long time. Shes just perfect. You'll have to make your other half one now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008 09:58:55 AM »

Oh! He's so cute! You did a great job! Yarn selection was brilliant!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
zetakitty
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008 10:03:50 AM »

super cute! and very realistic! can you try to make up a tute maybe  Roll Eyes ? i have never found a patter which resembles a real life bunny!!!! and the yarn makes him seem more real than ever!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelie
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 10:17:45 AM »

Aww that's great! Reminds me of the Watership Down bunnies! Does he/she have a name? And I agree, great yarn choice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Aixbelle

You make them . . . they must go

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 10:18:41 AM »

I love it.  I don't know anything about amigurumi. . . so can't say whether you did it true to that style or not.  But heck, it's super adorable, and I agree that the yarn choice makes him so sweet, fuzzy, and squishable. . . so does it really matter if you crocheted it "right"?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigo_roses
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008 10:21:31 AM »

Aww, that's really cute! If you did it in spirals (not joining the rounds) then it's ami enough!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008 10:23:14 AM »

It's adorable!  You did good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Winter Market 2014
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008 10:24:18 AM »

Wow, I love it. I like how your bunny looks really realistic. The color and texture of the fur makes it look so amazing, great job. kudos on making the pattern up as you went. I can't do anything like that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Len
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008 11:08:12 AM »

I love it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baked Bull’s-Eye Eggs
Nine-Year-Old Chef Whips Up The Perfect Omelet
Turkey Apple and Cheddar Grilled Cheese Recipe
Mother’s Day Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
How to Make Sloppy Joe Sliders
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...