A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,658
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Several resized t-shirts, with tutorial :)  (Read 9275 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2005 08:08:31 PM »

This was an oversized polo shirt that I found at the Salvation Army Mega Thrift in Kalispell, Montana. I was looking for something to put the iron-on transfer on, and I liked the "pink with blue and white stripes" theme. I didn't resize this until a year or two after I made it, and despite the lovely Baby Surprise on the front, I never wore it because it was huge.

I managed, somehow, to con Kimya Dawson, the lead singer of the Moldy Peaches, into sending me a band t-shirt when I was fifteen or so, but the only size she had in stock was a 2XL. As a consolation, she signed it!

Okay, so shirt reconstruction tutorial. This is only good for shirts much bigger than what you want the final product to be. I'll work out a more universal one at some point, the problem is that I don't see a point in taking the time to resize my t-shirts that are only slightly too large.
1. Find a t-shirt that fits you well, that you'd like to model the others after.
2. Turn the big shirt inside-out, and (optionally) pin it down flat to the carpet face-down. (This really helps me keep the shirt from curling up or getting wrinkles anywhere that would make trouble when you cut it).
3. Take the small shirt, and turn it inside-out as well. Fold the sleeves inside of the shirt, and then pin it down on top of the big shirt so that the top seams are matched and shirts are centered at the neck.
(something like this:)

4. Mark around the small shirt.
5. Unpin the small shirt, and repin the front and back of the big shirt together.
5. Leaving between 1/2" and 3/4" of extra fabric around the marks, cut out the shirt along the side seams. Save the big shirt's sleeves for later.
6. Cut off the excess fabric at the bottom, leaving an inch or two extra for hemming.
7. Sew up your side seams along the marks you made with a stretch stitch. The one that looks like this: _ _ ^ _ _ works well. Be careful that you don't accidentally sew up your arm holes as well. Trim the excess.
8. Take your small shirt, and pull the sleeves back out. Line them up against the big shirt's sleeves like so: (I didn't bother drawing the rest of the small shirt because I thought it would confuse things. It's still attached to the sleeve)

9. Lifting up the small shirt and folding it over the sleeve as needed to see all the way around, trace around the small sleeve.
10. Remove the small shirt, and once again carefully repin the big shirt so the sleeve is laying perfectly flat and the front and back match. Cut out the bottom and side seam, leaving a 1/2" to 3/4" seam allowance around the marks. Don't cut the top, it's already attached up there.
11. Sew the bottoms of the sleeves back together along the mark you made. Trim the excess.
12. Turn the body of the shirt in progress inside-out. Keep the sleeves inside out. With right sides facing and matching seams, pin the sleeves to the shirt. Sew up these armhole seams and trim excess again.

Your sleeve hems are already done, since you utilized the pre-existing ones on the shirt! Now the only thing left to do is hem the bottom with the hem of your choice. My "lazy hem" is to fold up about half of the fabric that I'm going to hem, and sew it down with a straight stitch. Then I fold that over again, and run a couple of straight-stitch seams around the bottom to hold it up. If you only sew the hem down with one seam, it has a tendency to flip down and show at the bottom of the shirt. A double-needle seam is quick and handy, but it means you have to mess with your sewing machine, and you might not even have that option. Just be careful to keep the two seams an equal distance apart.

With practice, this whole process takes about fifteen minutes!

The miniskirt in these pictures started out life as a terrifically unappealing 80s cocktail dress. It had off-the-shoulder sleeves, with crinkly caterpillar straps under them to keep the dress on, far too much boning for that sort of thing, and a skirt tailored (as near as I can tell) specifically to make anyone's butt look frighteningly bubbly. I cut the bottom part off, resewed a couple of seams, added a super-easy elastic band in a casing, and left a slit for movement as well as sex appeal Smiley. (This was all with a needle and thread, sitting on a bean bag watching the X-Files!) I'm going to use the top half in a shirt reconstruction soon.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007 06:48:32 PM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
LiquidScissors
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005 11:55:03 AM »

I like the shirts!  The my little pony one is great.  where the crap did you luck out finding that beautiful polo shirt?  I have a friend who has one just like it, that she got at a thrifty store too, and as well its like an XXL or something, but shes bigger so it fits fine and loosley.  blah! 

ANYWAY! I have a weird question?  How tall are you?  I am just curious.... you have AWESOME legs and I am super jelous!!!

-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
LiquidScissors

Who would of known

Hank's a bomb. Long story.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005 11:57:01 AM »

Holy Crack TOWN! I just reaslized by looking at your icon that I have that exact same popple!  WOW!  Isn't she the best???

-Liquid
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Is it because you killed a whole bunch of ninjas while it was playing? So now it reminds you of ninjas?"
PixieSkull

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005 05:39:03 PM »

My Little Pony shirt = freaking awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
catladysarah
Tutorial Contributor

knit-maniac!

cyborg bounty-hunter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005 11:27:42 PM »

Thanks everybody on the Pony shirt.  I'm a MLP maniac - I have over three hundred ponies!
LiquidScissors, I'm roughly 5'10".. and thank you so much! 
I found the polo shirt at a thrift store in Kalispell, Montana (the middle of nowhere) for like a dollar. 
I love my Popple.  She went through the wash and her hair all frizzled up, so I just pulled up the purple stripe in the middle into a mohawk.  My friend calls her the "Punkle" Tongue
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005 11:29:23 PM by catladysarah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is our function as artists to make the spectator to see the world our way, not his way."
sara_

supa*BLING*ing

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005 05:50:46 PM »

Middle-of-nowhere thrift stores are the best.  Did you cut supercarefully around the MLP iron-on transfer?  I can't see any plastic border, it looks great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005 08:27:01 PM »

Thank you muchly for that detailed tutorial.  It seems more accurate than the usual squared-off resizing.  Because I am incompitent in resizing and need all the help I can get.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
chapfan91
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005 12:14:44 AM »

Catlady, I collect ponies, too! Are you on any of the message boards?
Awesome clothes!
~Erica
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosemary
Youtube Queen

Youtube Queen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005 02:50:22 AM »

alright, 
the ignorant australian is going to have to ask,
what on earth is a popple?

and brillant tutorial
and skirt
and shirts
especially the my little pony one
I have fond memories of my little pony
mine was purple and had stars on its bum
she was often burried, forgoten about, and dug up weeks/months later

I'm rambling now aren't I
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal Youtube Channel:  http://www.youtube.com/charlieisagirl

Makeup/Clothing Tutorials:   http://www.youtube.com/stardustandunicorns

Formspring:  http://www.formspring.me/charlieisagirl

SUBZIES??? 
KTHXBAI
Gierma
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005 03:07:07 AM »

Great tutorial, and fab shirts...

I like your skirt, it really suits you cause You have great legs ( if you don't mind me saying so)...

I will have to go home and look for to large T-shirts....

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Upcycled CD Disco Ball & Jewelry - Do It, Gurl
How to Beautifully Wrap a Bottle of Wine
How to Create a Fall Wreath in Under 30 Minutes
How to Make Homemade Bows
Pat Mitchell: Policy Comes from the Top
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...