A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitted Gas Mask Hat  (Read 50319 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cat_goeddey
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008 10:22:43 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Oh my goodness!!!! can you give me ANY clue on how to make one??? my husband is the gas mask guy for the air force and I sewed him a gas mask plushie but i think the hat and face shield would be awesome!!! he's in Korea for the next year and its 12 degrees there right now... just a lil chilly!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pepper Morrison
Jaque LeCube- because he's french and a cube..

about as fatale as an after dinner mint..

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008 11:02:23 AM »

wow, that is so clever! I do some paintings with gas masks in them, (i call them experimental but really I just can't paint very well) and let me tell you! You knit gasmasks better then i draw them!   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Amazed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Too rare to live
Too weird to die...
hildare
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008 12:33:01 PM »

he's all set for the pink floyd wall animation reenactment (sorry for the dorky comment)
but i have questions:
is there any way for a tutorial or a guide?
did he give feedback about whether it's good for breathing biking hard?
does the mask come off to leave a cool hat?
i cannot think of a single ONE of my bikepunky friends who wouldn't love this!
this rocks! you are awesome!
(i want to make a pink one for myself!)
hildare
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no government like NO government!
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008 03:33:33 PM »

Holy cow!  Way to improvise, that's an amazing piece of head gear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
Nuno930
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008 03:40:54 PM »

Hahah I must figure out a way to knit one myself for when DH deploys!  I can just imagine the mayhem the guys will have with that...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stitch and stones
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008 04:07:04 PM »

This is amazing! This rocks all the way. And way to show everyone how awesome knitters can be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap hungry- send me a yummy PM.

http://www.pinterest.com/amberburrr/

although imperfect, love is real, and it is balled up next to you smiling and rubbing sleep from its eyes. -the raintree
kimmasaurus
...and up comes the toolbar. that's what she said.

do you think this is referring to your boning jan?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008 06:32:52 PM »

Cheesy this is hilarious!  great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iridescent
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2008 07:18:32 PM »

This is beyond awesome.
I would die for the pattern...but I won't because if you ever do give out the pattern or instructions, i wouldn't be able to knit a cool gas mask hat like yours. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teriyakimoto
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008 06:39:22 AM »

I didn't keep too much track of  what I was doing as I knitted, but I can give you an idea of how I did it.  As I mentioned before, the back portion (hat) was Blue Hills from Knitty.com.  For the mask, I measured my friend's forehead and added  about an inch and a half for overlap.  I knitted a square for guage to calculate stiches per inch and knitted (stockinette stitch) the amount of stitches to fit my previous measurement.  I just knitted like normal until i reached the row where I needed to start the eyeholes. I figured this out by measuring the distance between where the top of the mask would overlap on the hat to his eyes. Once I got to where the eyeholes should be, I bound off those stitches.  At this point, I separated the stitches into 3 sections and put them onto stitch holders (1 section between the eyes, 1 on each side of the eyes = 2).   By doing this I would knit each section until it got to the row below the eye holes then join them back together on 1 set of needles.  For the top of the eyes I bound off stitches to create the hole, then the bottom of the eye hole I increased to connect the sections again.  After that I measured my friends jaw line and knit until I reached where his jaw sloped.  Then decreased by K2tog at the beginning and end of each row for several rows until I reached the point where the canister would be.  I did use a slight rib or seed stitch (can't remember) at the side for a half inch so the mask wouldn't curl as much until I hit the decreases.  I bound off all stitches.  The canister is basically a rectangle to cover the canvas ring i made.  And the end of the cannister was a rough circle I knitted by matching up about how many stitches to cover.  I stitched those two pieces to the canvas and connected the cannister to the mask by stitching the bottom of the mask to the uncovered end  of the cannister.  The part of the mask connecting to the cannister will not be the entire circumference of the cannister.  Then for finishing  I sewed velcro to the top of the hat and the underside of the mask.  I also folded in the top corners of the mask and sewed those as well. 

I'll try to get some more pics for you guys this weekend to explain some of this.  Please feel free to ask questions!  Maybe I'll try to put together an actual pattern when I have time (maybe spring break?).  I've got too much school and other projects at the moment to do it now.  I'm so glad you all liked it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008 08:59:31 AM »

Knitters are crazy.

This post showed up on three of my daily blogs today. THREE!

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2008/02/knitted_gas_mask.html?CMP=OTC-5JF307375954
http://www.geekologie.com/2008/02/knitted_gas_mask_will_keep_you.php
http://www.boingboing.net/2008/02/22/knit-gasmask-hat.html

Of course, they all do sort of feed off of each other, but it just shows how ass-kicking this project is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dramatic Reads: Mark Waid
The Origins of Conan The Barbarian
The Origins of Betty Boop
The Origins of Garfield
Superhero Origins: Banshee
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...