A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,436
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: drum carder help please?  (Read 415 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: March 04, 2008 08:53:04 AM »

I'm so excited!  I have about $900 that I can spend on spinning and dyeing supplies (I do love to dye as well).  I'm planning to get a babe production wheel, and would also like to get a drum carder, and a bunch of fiber, and some yarn to dye.  that way I could go back and forth between spinning, dyeing, making bats, whatever suits my mood.  doesn't that sound great!?  BUT I'm trying to figure out the best place to get a drum carder.  after I find my drum carder I'll split what's left between fiber and yarn and more dye. 

so, what should I look for in a drum carder?  do I need one with the comb attachment (or could I just get a dog brush in its place? I'm not really sure what this comb attachement is for)?  I still want to be at least a little thrifty because the less the wheel and carder cost the more $ I'll have for fiber, dye and yarn.  but at the same time I do want to be happy with my purchase in the end. 

any input, advice, or sugguestions would be greatly appreciated!

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 09:03:32 AM »

I got my Louet drum carder on ebay and I LOVE it. No brush attachement for it and most of the time I don't need it but I use a wall paper brush to brush some fibers down when need be. Never used any other kind of drum carder, all I know is I am very happy with my purchase...I was between the louet and the stauch petite, happy with my choice! I went to the manufacturer's sites to read all about them, I looked at the ashford, stauch, and louet models and then shopped price after I decided. I'd plan on spending half your $$ on the DC...more if you were thinking electric...

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 09:16:56 AM »

I have a Patrick Green "Deb's Deluxe" that I love!!  I do not have a brush attachment - thanks for the idea about the wallpaper brush!

It is a very versatile carder.  I've had it about 4 years and now need to replace the pulley...

Our Lessons in Homesteading
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 10:02:29 AM »

You might also want to check out the thread above on Drum Carders Smiley

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turn Yourself Into a Vampire in Gimp
How to Use Mario Paint Composer
How to Make Your Own Custom Brushes in Gimp
How to Add Gradient Effect To Text in Gimp
How to Make Feather Borders
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...