A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Make a Lined Zippered Pouch  (Read 532208 times)
Tags for this thread: pouch , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

e.r.i.k.a

I eat zippers for breakfast!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2005 06:33:00 PM »

I have been dying to learn how to make a lined, zippered pouch FO-EVER!  I've tried and tried with no success until today!  I used dyabolica's post (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10165.0) to guide me.  I'm making this tutorial only because I felt like a little elaboration would benefit those of us who are a little more inept.  

Here goes:

Step 1: Assemble your ingredients. I used 6 1/2" x 10" fabric pieces and an 8" zipper.  

Iron your fabric to get it flat -- I'm not fantastic about getting all the wrinkles out, as you can see.

Step 2: Place the zipper WRONG SIDE UP on one piece of the exterior fabric.  The fabric should be RIGHT SIDE UP.   Pin in place and stitch along the top part of the zipper using your zipper foot.

Step 3: Once the first exterior is securely sewn to the top portion of the zipper, place one of the lining fabric pieces, WRONG SIDE UP, directly on top of the zipper.  Line up the edges and stitch in place right along the top.  Ultimately you'll be stitching on top of the previous stitch.

Step 4: Now open it up by separating the lining and exterior fabric and folding over the lining so that the WRONG side of both fabrics are facing each other.  Here are two views of what you should have up to this point. The zipper should be sandwiched between the two fabrics.  I pressed the whole thing to keep it flat.

Step 5: Now you'll have to do the same thing for the other side of the zipper.  Place the remaing exterior fabric piece on top of the zipper, which should be RIGHT SIDE UP.  Line up the top and side edges. Now stitch.  Here are three different views.  

Step 6: To attach the lining, flip the whole thing over so the RIGHT SIDE of the lining is face UP.  Place the remaining lining fabric WRONG SIDE UP, directly on top of the zipper.  The RIGHT SIDES of the two pieces of lining should face each other and the zipper should be WRONG SIDE UP. Line up the edges and stitch along the top.  The zipper should be sandwiched, again.  Here's a picture before the sewing and afterwards, opened.

Step 7: Now, *VERY IMPORTANT*, flip it over and open the zipper.

Step 8: Now take the two pieces of lining and line them up with each other, good sides FACING EACH OTHER.  Do the same for the exterior, lining up the edges.  

Step 9:Pin the linings together and pin the exteriors together.  Stitch the sides of the lining together and the bottom of the linings, leaving a 3" section in the center unsewn.   Stitch the sides and the bottom of the exteriors completely.  DO NOT leave an unsewn section in the exterior.
*Just a tip:  On the sides I stitch right alongside the zipper stop to avoid having extra openings on the sides of the zipper.

Step 10: Trim the seams if necessary.  Use pinking shears if you've got 'em.

Step 11: Turn the whole thing inside out through that little opening you left in the lining.  Be careful no to tear the seams.  

Step 12: Now stitch up that remaining opening.  I have yet to perfect this.  I just stitch on top, but doing it that way makes it just a *little* obvious, I think.  If anyone has any suggestions for making this stitch more discreet, please share!  I'm DYING to know!

Step 13: Push the lining into the exterior and VOILA!  A lined, zippered coin purse!  Mine's ready for embellishment!  Silk screen, perhaps?

It wasn't really as hard as it may seem.  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the order of steps, which I'm not naturally very good at.  Otherwise, it was a pretty simple pouch.  The zipper foot definitely helps!  

I'm terrible at sewing, so if it works for me, I'm sure this will be a breeze for all you skilled craftsters.  

I hope someone will love this.  I know I do!
Message me if you have any problems.
xoxo,
Erika
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011 07:58:49 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shotgun_Bettie

Yup I'm Back..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005 06:46:32 PM »

You are so my hero for posting that because I have a bunch of flexible vinyl I was going to make a makeup bag out of.. now I know how Smiley Thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafting O.C.D at it's finest...
HotCarl
Knitty.

HotCarl Is a GIRL.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005 06:57:52 PM »

awesome. I could do zipper pouches, but I never thought of lining them! Good job with the tutorial, it's easy to follow, and your polka dot material is too awesome.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<signature-style="obvious-plug">
kathda8

Waits is my god....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005 07:57:08 PM »

Thanks so much for the tute - now if I can only get my sewing machine to sew a straight line! Arrggghhhh!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, he gave her a dimestore watch
And a ring made from a spoon. - Tom Waits
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2005 07:58:28 PM »

Steps #1-6 could also be used to make a gusset for a zippered-top bag.  The ends of the zipper would then be attached to the other gusset part(s).

Your corners turned out very nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
mymble
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005 08:11:02 PM »

This is great.  I have been making these things like they're going out of style.  They're fun and quick, and a great way to use up all of the upholstery samples I have.

Very nice job on the tutorial, your directions are super clear.

Here's one of mine, wool, machine embroidered with orange silk lining.
http://photos1.blogger.com/img/175/1721/640/january%20103.jpg
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011 10:40:07 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
e.r.i.k.a

I eat zippers for breakfast!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005 08:25:36 PM »

Thanks for the comments, guys!  I'm glad you all like it.

Sewer Rat :  I'm so sewing illiterate that I have no clue what a gusset even is!  I'm going to do a little research . . .
mymbal:  I'm dying to see your wool, embroidered, orange silk lining pouch.  Please, please post!  I am so in love with orange silk. 

xo, erika

THIS ROCKS   Logged

socomfyhere
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005 09:38:34 PM »

I totally love this tutorial!  I hope it gets pinned to the top of the purses/bags board so I can find it easily later when I actually have some zippers....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
avolian
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005 01:21:59 PM »

okay this is both related and not to this thread, sorry if it is too unrelated but i have no idea how to install my zipper foot on my machine! can someone please give me a little step by step? i am sitting here ready to sew my cute little clutch and i have no idea how to work this crazy thing!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AxelHoney
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005 01:26:53 PM »

Very cute! I have to try it. can't help with the zipper foot. After trying to put mine on, I asked someone to help, and it turns out the foot wasn't even for my machine! I put a long roll of "zipper" and I've been wanting to do some pouches. I just have to find the right zipper foot now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Colors Represent Emotion in Paintings
How to Express yourself with Colors When Painting
How Colors Represent Energy in Paintings
Painting Lesson - Big Brush, Little Brush
Artists Easels
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...