A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,595
Currently Running With Scissors:
681 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 58
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: Make a Lined Zippered Pouch  (Read 549343 times)
Tags for this thread: pouch , tutorial , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

svanalyn
« Reply #360 on: January 23, 2007 11:39:44 AM »

It's the first time I gave zippers a try and I'm glad about the way it turned out, though it is far from being perfect. I always learn from my mistakes so this was a good thing.

[Flickr]

Thanks for the tutorial!  Grin
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007 01:22:34 PM by svanalyn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #361 on: January 23, 2007 11:59:24 AM »

Please someone explain this to me! Every time I try sewing in my zippers this way I fail. When sewing up the sides of both the lining and the outer fabric.... something goes terrible wrong! It looks crooked. On which side seam am I supposed to catch the zipper? The exterior???

Sewing a straight line from lining all the way to exterior is a big no-no.

I feel so lame. Hints? Can I just sew in a centered zipper with end stops or something? How?

Miserylovesme, I do sew a straight line from the lining to the outer, and I do sew through the ends of the zipper. It may help to sort of roll/pinch the zipper to stay in a "direction" -- toward the outer fabric so that when it's turned right-side-out, the zipper is folding toward the body of the bag, if that makes sense. I use some chunky-toothed zippers sometimes and pinching it at the ends does help. Or, of course, sew only through the zipper tape at the ends as close to the teeth as you can if you're using a really big (or metal -- be careful) zipper.

Does this help at all?

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 23, 2007 01:14:12 PM »

i have the same problem with the zipper. i have no advice.  Grin i need some though.
I don't catch the zipper when sewing up the outside - I sew up the lining and the ouside and try to avoid the zipper as much as I can - it kind of tucks in between the two layers nicely. 
if you dont catch the zipper, what do you do about the end of the zipper beyond the teeth where it is not connected?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #363 on: January 23, 2007 02:37:32 PM »

I sew a stop on it so the zipper doesn't go farther than it should and the end tucks down in between the two layers.  It has worked for me so far and comes out really nice.  I also have started to put a flap over the zipper area that hides the zipper.  I don't know how to explain what I did.  Next time I make one I will try and take some pictures that show exactly what I am talking about.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
strangela

beware of octopus girl

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 24, 2007 12:51:47 PM »

Wow, I can't believe I have only found this now...I was planning to make a lined, zippered pouch anyway, but I had no idea how to go about it. And then I found this completely by accident! Huzzah!

Except, what is the seam allowace on the sides in the tute? The fabric is alot longer than the zipper.

Also, I'm assuming the finished dimensions are about as long as the zipper is? Like an 8-inch zipper gives you a finished length of around 8 inches? Am I right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
torrance

vegan knitness!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #365 on: January 24, 2007 09:37:27 PM »

thanks for the tutorial!!

i used it to make this: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=147469.msg1455500#msg1455500

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rr
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2007 11:31:30 PM »

ARG !!!! Huh What am I doing wrong.I just made a lined pouch with a zipper and I struggle while sewing when I get to the actual ( thingy ?? You hold on to to zip and unzip)  since when you try to pass it your stitch line becomes crooked and therefore I cant get as close to the teeth as the rest of it.I try to move it when I get to it and struggle with my hand between all the fabric .I get frustrated just trying to explain..I love to sew and just bought a bunch of zippers.I looked all over the craftsters site printed out several tutorials for this but don't know what I'm doing wrong.Possibly I'm to close to the teeth????It looks real good because I got close to the teeth but maybe its to close...Any help is appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dulcinea
If you haven't grown up by the time you're 30, you don't have to!

faciō, ergo sum

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2007 02:44:30 AM »

yup - most likely, you're just too close.

try keeping just a little bit more margin there, so that you can sew comfortably.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Veni, Vidi, Velcro
I came, I saw, I stuck around

Taking a break from swaps to get some stuff under control.  Email if you need me.

Wists | Blog | Ravelry
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2007 06:39:55 AM »

RR, when you're sewing the zipper, you should be able to sew it from the right side. Just before you get to the zipper slide, stop, raise your machine foot with the needle down in the fabric, and move the slide down to the area you've already sewn. Sometimes it's a little difficult to get it past the raised foot (it is in my case anyway) because the machine foot may not go up all that high... But that's the way to keep from having your stitching jump over when you try to feed past the slide without moving it out of the way.

Hope this helps.

-Dorion
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msalowishus

Virginia is for lovers.

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2007 04:28:26 PM »

you can still be close you jusy have to find the perfect distance with your machine. i make it so its too close to zip the zipper by unless i stop with the needle down in the fabric, pull the presser foot up, and zip it by. then i can continue along.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 58 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Paintbrush
How to Create a Flip Book
How to Understand a Work of Art
How to Draw a Maze
How to Draw a Boy Using the Word "Boy"
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Removable Fabric Wallpaper
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...