A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,923
Currently Running With Scissors:
608 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Intarsia collar AND lace shawl. Update! 6/3-08 Both finished!!:)  (Read 1521 times)
Tags for this thread: shawl , wrap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

blomsterböna
« on: January 23, 2008 02:49:07 AM »

Hello!
I'm in a real knitting mood and can't chose between these two projects. My taught from the beginning was that the shawl would be very exhausting to knit so I needed something else to do in between. But till now I have only knitted on the collar..... But today I might dare to start this lace knitting. I admit that I am a bit worried about it. I intend to keep you updated on my fortunes and missfortunes. I haven't don lace neither intarsia before. Horror!? Smiley

Date and start pictures:
Intarsia collar

I follow this pattern and ad the colours. http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/se/visoppskrift.php?d_nr=98&d_id=34&lang=se Sorry, it's only in Swedish, Danish and Norwegian. I have also added a button edge since i realised you can't knit in circle when you do intarsia. You have to knit back and forth. First lesson learned Cheesy.
I use scraps of wool yarn in lovely colours. I started knitting on a straight needle and then a circular one, 3,5 mm.

Lace shawl

I will use this pattern. http://mimknits.com/shop/index.php?main_page=document_product_info&cPath=65&products_id=199&zenid=9a04b16b6bb420dcba8e74eea6c781df
But try do leave more space for the neck. That is, do a curve in the upper edge.
I use wool yarn that is actually meant for weaving furniture fabrics. I don't know if it's suitable for lace knitting. What do you think?

I knit with 4 mm circular needle.

An this is how far I've come right now on the intarsia collar.

Front

Reverse

close up (I love this kind of pictures Wink)

Wish me luck!

UPDATE! 25-01-08
I have restarted the lace shawl about four times now. I give up doing the neck modification. I will just follow the pattern!! Angry Lace is hard!

UPDATE! 04-02-08
The collar is finished!
I knitted it flat and then I sewed the lower part of the button edge together for about 5 cm. After binding of I crocheted along the edge. I'm not very pleased with the edge. It curls...And maybe i wouldn't have knitted for so long. It's a bit wide over the shoulders. But besides that I'm really fond of it. Especially the colours.

So, now I'm left with the lace shawl. Luckily I have a 10 hour train journey tomorrow. That means a lot of time for knitting.

UPDATE 22/2-08
Hello! One week left and the shawl is not finished. But there is hope. Smiley Lately I have been knitting things that don't require that much concentration. I'll be back!

UPDATE 26/2-08
I just have to face it..... I won't finish the shawl in time for the challenge. Sad  But I keep working on it and I'll let you know how it goes. Grin

UPDATE 6/3-08
I'm done!!!! Can hardly believe it.  Grin Grin Grin I caught a cold but I was well enough to knit. That helped me work on it alot this last week.
The edge is not as it's supposed to accordning to the pattern. I ran out of yarn. But I think it's ok anyway.
And here it is Smiley Tada!!

This is my first time knitting lace. (Of course, thats the challenge theme. Wink) I'd appreciate comments from everyone but especially from people who do lace knitting. I'm wondering about my choise of yarn and pattern. What do you think?

Thanks for looking! (at this huge post!  Smiley)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008 07:18:47 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008 05:36:32 AM »

it looks really really great so far.

intarsia scares me. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008 01:09:16 PM »

Wow! I love the closeup picture! And the tons of little bobbins scare me to death.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
violentlyknits
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008 09:29:44 AM »

nice! I think it looks great. lovely colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you take the things you like, and try to love the things you took.
Rainkeltoia
Heathen

ame megami 雨女神

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008 04:16:51 AM »

Wow....
wow.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Without Rain There Can Be No Rainbows
violentlyknits
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008 01:53:31 AM »

superduperfiint!

wow! I'm really impressed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you take the things you like, and try to love the things you took.
coral
Yarn Rescuer!

beer gut

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008 11:25:36 AM »

Gorgeous shawl! Awesome collar!  I never thought of wearing a shawl like that but it's very flattering. Congrats on both items, you definitely have 2 gorgeous pieces of knitting after this challenge.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get some yarn! Jewelry! YARN! 
www.blackcoral.etsy.com

Vintage Sewing Patterns!!
www.saltwatersupply.etsy.com
hatch_handicrafts
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008 10:28:10 AM »

Oh wow, I am both in awe and terrified at the same time 0.o That must have taken so much patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coconut-Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe
How to Make Halloween Chocolate Bark
Homemade Halloween Treat Recipes
How to Celebrate Halloween Like a Five-Star Pastry Chef
How to Decorate a Football Themed Potluck Poke Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...