I saw a post here not long ago that described adding a map to a boring coffee table to make the surface more interesting.
Of course, my husband and I can't do anything simply, so we decided to make our own coffee table from scratch...from a pair of old rusty bedframes that had been sitting alongside our house since we moved in.
Here are the bed frames we started with:
A few work-in-progress shots:
I don't have a "nice" (i.e. not cell phone camera) picture of the finished work yet; I'll take one tonight.
Materials and machines used:
* 2 old bed frames that came in our house
* High-speed cut-off wheel
* Chop saw
* MIG welder
* Bench grinder with wire wheel
* Hand grinder
* Punch press
* Cordless drill
* 3/4" MDF fiberboard
* AAA California and Nevada state maps
* Flat black spray paint (for the fiber board)
* Black appliance enamel/epoxy spray paint (for the frame)
* Varathane polyurethane (clear gloss)