A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Girl Blanket/Sampler  (Read 1028 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lindsoriah

In character at all times

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 18, 2008 08:07:52 PM »

I quickly realized that this blanket might get boring in a hurry, so I used three yarns and several new stitch patterns to keep it interesting:

I have more close up shots to show the stitches, but basically it includes sc, dc, two kinds of shell stitch, sc through the back loop, sc through the post, and a line of needle-woven pink through a row of white dc's.  I like it, I think it's super pretty and I know that as a young girl I would have adored the colors.

It is going to be donated to Project Linus, so I hope whoever gets it likes it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
pjherbert

He is such a little stinker!

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008 08:21:24 PM »

That is beautiful and what a blessing you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsoriah

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008 07:53:14 AM »

Thank you. Project Linus is probably my favorite charity to craft for and I tend to get carried away, but my idea is to prove that donated items don't have to be shabby.  In short, I appreciate that you think it  looks nice. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps, accessories, disguises, animals, riding my bike, pen pals, and the Lone Star State.
Krisnotes
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008 08:00:19 AM »

Oh wow! I love this blanket. You've made this so pretty and some little girl out there is going to love it so much. You're so sweet to put such care into something like this. I've always wanted to start doing things for Project Linus...maybe it's time I start huh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
lindsoriah

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008 08:45:45 AM »

Depending on where you live, it can be really easy!  They often have a contact point in a city that will meet up with you to pick up any blankets you make. I have found them to be really friendly and accomodating. Check out their website to see if this applies in your case. http://www.projectlinus.org/chapter.php

Alternatively, if you're not sure you want to make a whole blanket, you can make 7"x9" squares for Warm Up America and either mail them in or just drop them off at a Michael's craft store if you have one near you. Making squares has the benefit of using less yarn and gives you more freedom to use different stitch patterns-- a great way to learn new ones!

I hope you do get involved, it is not only a great way to use up leftover yarn, but also can be a lot of fun. 

...Ok that's probably enough campaigning for now, haha.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Krisnotes
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008 05:48:12 PM »

Hey yeah! Thanks for the link! And yes I could even do both. There is a Michael's up the county and we do go that way on occasion. I could just make squares and just keep them until we make the trip every once in a while. Cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's a toothpaste on the wrong side of the toothbrush kind of day.
breeze530
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008 05:53:00 PM »

Shocked Oh, Wow! That is a gorgeous blanket. What yarns did you use for it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsoriah

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008 06:06:51 PM »

Thanks!

The yarns are pretty basic. The pink and white are red heart solids, and the lavender is something called Bernat Baby Boucle, which was new to me and fun to work with. I got them in an ongoing wish swap (I'm always up for more yarn scraps specifically for projects like this) but I used about a skein of each. I also used a size K crochet hook, and the finished dimensions are almost exactly 3 feet by 2 feet.

Many people don't like to work with acrylic but to me it seems the best option for baby blankets. I think the Boucle is neat because it's sort of poofy and works up like a cloud, which is a welcome change of texture when working on such a big project.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Auto Tracker Basics - Color
How to Pin Constrain - Houdini 9.5
How to Create a Cup Texture - Cheetah 3D Modeling
How to Create a Spoon Texture - Cheetah 3D Modeling
How to Create a Wine Glass Texture - Cheetah 3D Modeling
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...