A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recrafting with Preschoolers  (Read 2578 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imafundork
« on: February 18, 2008 12:44:56 PM »

I'm an assistant teacher for a two year old class at a Montessori School.  Each April the school hosts "A Night with the Artists", where each class displays three art project made by the students and one project that is done that night with the entire school (12 mos-6yrs).  I've consulted with my co-teachers and we decided that we would like all four of our projects to be made by reusing/recycling other items. 

The problem is that we've only come up with one project thus far.  So I would love it if you had any suggestions!  Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karia
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008 03:29:17 AM »

Jeans bags?
A giant patchwork quilt
Papier mache is a good one as 2 year olds can really get into it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eilleen
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008 04:50:33 AM »

My children also go to a Montessori school.  Here's an activity that the entire school (Toddler Programme (18months), Cycles 1 to 3) do.

1. Buy green coffee beans, roast them and grind them.... or buy popcorn that the kids can pop.
2. Collect jars and wash them.
3. Decorate jars decoupage, or glass painting.
4. Pour grounded coffee beans into them or scoop the popcorn into them.

As you can see from the above, there are plenty of little activities in the above that the entire school can do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 04:16:30 AM »

-paper mosaics with magazines

-use cardboard from cereal boxes & such to make books

-individually bag the paper egg carton section with some potting soil and some seeds for people to buy or bring home..they can just plant the whole section since the paper carton is biodegradable

-recover containers-oatmeal containers,Tang container,pringle containers,etc

-recycle-junk mail or newspaper and use a mold-plaster mold or cookie mold-mix some seeds at the very end & when it dries remove it from the mold and poke a hole in it for it to hang on a piece of ribbon..then they can plant the 'ornament'..its cute if its like a butterfly and such the kids love it..

what would be fun with the school is to find a book or 'resource' to use before the project..I love Earl Carle but I dont know what book you oculd use-I guess depending which project...

good luck and hope it all goes well..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
imafundork
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008 06:44:45 PM »

Thanks for all of your great ideas!  Grin 

I was actually talking to another teacher yesterday about doing paper mache with the children. Two year olds love anything messy!  Their favorite "works" in my class are playdough and shaving cream...oh and stickers.  They love sticker work! Smiley

The project that we do have planned is using rolled pieces of magazines, glued together to make little picture frames.  Sorry, I don't think I'm describing this very well.  Huh I did it as a child and loved all of the colors.  I'll try to make a sample soon and post a picture.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
BudgeIsCool
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2008 11:52:20 AM »

You can make pretty cool decorations out of magazine scraps; I've used catalogs because they have bright colors.  Cut out shapes from cardboard (cereal boxes or any other random cardboard you have lying around), then the kids could either tear or cut out the colors they want (like confetti) and glue them to the cardboard.  I don't really know much about pre-schoolers, so I'm not sure if they would find this fun, but you can judge for yourself  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a whole bunch of fliers advertising a series of concerts (but all the fliers are the same), does anyone want them?
Shadeweaver

My reality check just BOUNCED!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008 04:09:47 PM »

Magazine/catalog beads (cut in strips or long triangles and rolled around straws ... glue the ends, snip the straws and string)

Toilet paper roll kaleidescope  (beads, sequins, buttons, other tiny treasure between 2 pieces of plastic and glues to the roll)

Baby jar water globes (fill the jar with water and a drop of dish soap, add glitter and seal with a cement)

Tornadoes in a bottle (soda bottles filled 3/4 with water and a couple drops of food colorant, about 1 ounce of vegetable oil ... when this is swirl it creates a tornado!)

Hope this helps to spark some other ideas for you.

Shade Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swap?  Heck Yeah!

http://www.wists.com/Shade
amybarnett
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008 10:08:58 PM »

I'm so glad you are using recycleables with kids!! When I worked with preschoolers we did it too. (free!)

try using packing peanuts sometime, they truly cannot be recycled in the normal facilities. we would have the kids glue them to cardstock then paint them. green for trees, blue for water, etc.

we also saved the metal discs from frozen juice. you can make matching games by putting stickers on the backs of them. flip them all over and let the kids go match crazy. and they stack together nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
naturalcreation
Love and respect for all of God's critters :)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008 11:01:52 PM »

Well there's always the quintessential birdfeeder-from-2L-soda-bottle thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imafundork
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008 03:46:06 PM »

Thank you all for your suggestions!  Art Night was a huge success!  Grin  We had three recycled crafts that we had premade to display that night and one craft.

Our premade crafts were:

Two Liter Bottle Fish  http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/article/0,,HGTV_3352_1399690,00.html  I had originally saw this in a store in St. Augustine and fell in love immediately.  I did a search of craftster and came across a post that linked me to this site.  However, I can't seem to find the original craftster post to give credit. Sorry!   Sad

Two liter Herb Gardens (made with the leftovers from the fish)

We had made paper mache planters but they ended up getting moldy from the the watering by the time Art Night rolled around.  So we improvised and used the bottoms of the soda bottles.

Soup Can Pencil/Utensil Holders 

The staff at my school ate soup for weeks to collect enough cans!  Wink  And the yarn was all leftover from my various knitting projects. 

Unfortunately, I forgot to get a picture of our make and take craft which was Rolled Magazine Picture Frames.  Similar to one's I saw at Urban Outfitters.  I can't seem to find them on their website now, just a mirror. http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=F37DC74FAAAC317DD981A61F85E9B098.app12-node6?itemdescription=true&itemCount=10&id=13076880&parentid=A_FURN_GREEN&sortProperties=&navCount=42&navAction=poppushpush&color=00 Ours were small and had magnets on the back to hang up on the fridge.

This is my first time posting pictures and links.  And after much frustration, I hope I did it right! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Wistful Thinking
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shop at the Winter Antiques Show
Judith Jamison: Artistic Director Emerita, Alvin Ailey Dance Theat
The Inspiration Behind New York City’s Iconic Subway Signage
Partnering | city.ballet.
Designing LED Lit 3D Printed Speakers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...