A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
736 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sketchbook out of old dictionary  (Read 2775 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2008 07:09:17 AM »

This is my first attempt at making my own sketchbook from scratch!! I've been inspired by other posts on this board and thought how great it would be to have a book with lots of different kind of papers.

I got this old book at a clear-out in the library:

I used lots of different recycled papers, cut up life-drawings, print try-outs, user manuals, programmes from arts museums, envelopes from junk mail...et etc

I mainly used the great tutorial that rosered has posted http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6496.0 , but used a sewing machine for the signatures, and then hand sewed them together using the sewing machine stitches.

Maybe it's just me, but I love this start of the book with all the different stamps from it's time in the library:  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
parisgirl
I craft for comfort

Alice in Parisland

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008 12:10:04 PM »

I think your sketchbook is wonderful!  I know what you mean about stamps in library books...there are so many of us library lovers on craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cassette.

writer.photographer.artist.frustrated seamstress.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008 02:26:52 PM »

ahhh it makes me so happy to look at this! Cheesy

us sketchbook-craftin' folks, we know where it's at. Wink

...and I do love the stamps at the beginning, it shows the thing has a history. like pennies which have been in hundreds of people's pockets, or second-hand cameras, or photographs of old boots. or the lines on people's hands. I've been thinking about this too much...

<3 if you fancy showing us your drawings, I'd be very interested to see them, looks like every page will be a challenge Smiley

speak to you soon.
cassette.x
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 01:29:10 AM »

yes, I don't think I'd want to go back to shop-bought sketch books now when I've tried this!  Cheesy

The only problem is I like it so much as it is (as you say, it got stories to tell!!) that it IS a bit inhibiting. I'll see if I can post some more drawings once I get started!

I totally agree with what you are saying; I also love things with a story, found objects, old walls with layers of wall papers etc etc, and I often cut out images of wrinkly hands and faces when I come across them because there is something so lovely about them!! I should probably paste them in this book and make it a story of time...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PlumCrafty
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008 03:34:04 PM »

Ooh, Ms Marple, are there no end to your talents?! Cheesy I've always wanted to make a sketchbook but have no idea where to start.

I love this sketch book... how many stamps do I have to carve before you will trade? hehe! Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

2012 Swaps
Nov: SS Ornament R3
Sep: MALC 6x6 Canvas
Aug: 4x6 Art5
Jul: Hand-Carved Stamp4 and Vintage
Jun: Journal for a Month2
May: 4x6 Art2 and Crafted Cushion Cover2
Apr: Beginners Inchie3
Mar: Art Journal
Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 10:03:30 AM »

Thanks PlumCrafty! If only I didn't start working again next week (ergh!  Tongue) I'd love some of your stamps!!  Cheesy

Anyways, you should definitively give it a try!! It was much easier and quicker than I thought (I have wanted to make one for ages too...) Collecting the papers for it took longest by far - but then it did end up as 110 pages!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
roseinbloom1023
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008 12:42:20 PM »

this is amazing!
I definitely want to try something like this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Samanpka
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009 08:59:55 AM »

I just bought a really cool book from a library sale and am trying to decide what to do with it. I think I may do something similar to what you have done, although I'd probably use mine as a kind of photo book/scrapbook for postcards and various paper things I accumulate. I would be terrified to sketch in that book for fear of not doing it justice! Probably why I never matured into the greatest artist.. I have one pretty nice sketchbook that I was terrified of using for a while, so what I did was cheat a little bit and trace my favorite contour/pen and ink drawings from my other sketchbooks into my new book, and elaborate on them from there. That way I had ten pages or so of good "sketches" and filling in the rest wasn't quite as daunting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw the Teletubbies
How To Draw Clowns
How to Paint with Color
How To Draw A Raven
How To Draw A Guitar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...