A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pillow help???  (Read 997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eekahil
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008 10:29:08 AM »

Hiya!
I have 2cents to chuck in to the pillow idea fountain.

Not knowing the context of your sofa, your taste for kitsch and preferred colors , it it kinda tough to give you opinions.  Not that I am deterred from  doing so!   Grin

Please keep us posted on how your room comes along and congratulations on the bigger pad!

Consider using some other shapes  - barrel , rectangle to break up the massiveness of sofa and existing pillows.
Maybe go for a moire or tone-on-tone solid.I keep thinking reds, purples, turquoises with the beautiful chocolate.

Different textures like silk, satin or velvet .

Perhaps  a more modern-type floral? Marimekko-ish?

I always like Chinese Indian and Thai, all of which should soften the look but add nice counterpoint to the modernisty pillows you have  as well as tying them to the more British Colonial sofa thing.
maybe someting animally , like an embroidered elephant or even faux-leopard  spots.

If you have a Chinatown area , I'd head there for pillow covers - nice vivid jaquards 9or fabrics to make yr own.
I love Pearl River in NY but you can shop online  or at least window shop.
www.pearlriver.com

Pier One has good bunches of "Asian" designs but I can't bear to  go in them  because of the overwhelming, toxic stench of scented candlles, potpourri and such.
Still, the website is safer!
www.pier1.com

Crate and Barrel has always had great stuff, great quality and often nicce markdowns:
crateandbarrel.com

Ditto Target.  Each store has different stock so it is worth hitting more than poone in your area if poss.
They usually have really good pillows, particularly in their 'World Bazaar" area. 
target.com

This place had really great stuff on the website - and inexpensive!!  http://www.worldmarket.com/

And finally: Ikea

Wow - i need to go do something about my sofa cushions too!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Wildflowers

Love creating with my hands and sharing!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008 10:57:34 AM »

Flowers with massive dark leather could be VERY tricky.  Because the sofa is large you need to keep that in mind when selecting the pillow fabric, the fabric design needs to be large too.  Because this sofa is not traditional, you will need to stay away from realistic looking flowers.  A stylized flower might work that has interesting texture. 

For the LARGE empty walls.  Take a look at fabric as panels that might be stapled onto a large art canvas stretcher frame. 

This is a less expensive (and changeable) way to fill large wall spaces.  You could also fake a window by hanging a rod and drapes over a section of the wall.

Rather than trying to fill wall space with smaller pictures you may have, group them together into a planned grouping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About Hair Brushes
Learn About Hair Combs
Learn About Hair Rollers
How to Create an Upward Roll with Curls Underneath
How to Make Your Hair grow Faster
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...