A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,080
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pillow help???  (Read 993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pamdelangel
« on: February 18, 2008 06:37:01 AM »

So I have these wonderfully soft and cushy dark brown leather sofas, I didn't pick these things I caved in because I get my way in every other aspect of decorating so I let the hubby have these without fussing. :p But the pillows that we have for them I absolutly LOATHE them, they are so ugly. I was wondering would a floral pillow to balance the manly-ness of the couch look alright? Not huge flowers but a small floral print. Or do you have any suggestions?

My living room is SO blank because we moved into a MUCH larger place and the artwork I use to have up looks silly on such HUGE walls Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mimiw
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008 06:44:49 AM »

I just battled with this as well since we got leather sofas in January  Smiley

Here is what I did if it helps at all - just some log cabin sort of pillows with all sorts of prints:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2330/2272925358_62516dfaf3_o.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snootzie

Proof that my brother once adored me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008 06:46:04 AM »

I was thinking maybe if you did something in black and white...  or maybe with just a touch of color, but not too much to look out of place on the couch.   I'm currently trying to figure out curtains for my space, so I know how difficult it can be to figure everything out.  Good luck!

PS- Adorable puppy!  I used to have a dog like that, but he would never let us put cute sweaters on him...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just bought a new house... okay the house isn't new... it was actually born in the same month and year I was!!
Feast Your Eyes
People are entitled to their hobbies, and I'm entitled to think those people are creepy. - Raylan Givens, Justified

Serial Craft Dabbler

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008 06:52:25 AM »

What about a paisly, if you want to go for an upscale country club feel? Or a design that mixes floral and geometric elements, like something in the Arts & Crafts style? During that period leather and wood furnishings were mixed with floral design elements all the time. I'd stay away from pastel watercolor-looking floral designs and stick with something that is more stylized and hard-edged (outlined). Let me know if this doesn't make sense, and I'll try to clarify.

I saw several fabrics on the Amy Butler site in styles that would work with this couch, IMO.
http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products/

BTW, cute puppy-in-sweater.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Honored to be a J&T Featured Member

Vintage sewing patterns and unique jewelry at
Sinners' Feast
zombiecazz
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008 07:38:07 AM »

I think a delicate crocheted pillow would break the maculine effect. Something like these.

Nice, clean and very feminine
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008 09:49:47 AM »

would a floral pillow to balance the manly-ness of the couch look alright? Not huge flowers but a small floral print.

I see huge flowers in strong colors, like a Georgia O'Keefe painting. Or Big Bold crochet or knit lace. The sofa's big -- IMHO you need something bold and womanly rather than dainty & feminine.

How about wrapping the existing pillows in thai silk?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
pamdelangel
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008 09:59:02 AM »

Hmmm this has me thinking... Smiley
And I'll defiantly be covering the old pillows just for the sake of not being wasteful Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SkitzoLeezra
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008 11:36:38 AM »

Instead of floral print, how's about a stripe pattern on pillows?  Go to your local fabric supplier and take a look at the interior decor section.  You will be pleasantly surprised to see prints other than the same old feminine florals and masculine geometrics.   
Good thing:  you can sew some covers for the existing pillows.

As for art:  Consider painting a square or rectangle above the sofa and hanging art within.
OR - construct a long rectangular box, mount on wall with stuff inside box, on top of box and art hanging above.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SummerGirlfriend
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008 09:29:06 AM »

Okay, your dog is the cuteness.

Did you make a pillow decision?  I'm having a similar couch to wall art dilemma (about to move into a new place) and I'm always looking for ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"She looks like she washes her hair in streams and milks things..."  BB
SpottedFrog
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008 06:36:29 PM »

My living room is SO blank because we moved into a MUCH larger place and the artwork I use to have up looks silly on such HUGE walls
Group up all those small pieces close to each other in one of your big open spaces, reframe a few in the same type frame if they are too many different types, but variety is good if they have a theme or repeating element. I.e. a square brown wood frame with colorful print, next to a round brown wood frame with a photo, next to a gold square wood frame with a picture that has brown elements, etc Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Complete Inexpensive Outfit
The Jeans We Are Wearing This Season
Designer Makes Clothes from Fermented Tea
Milan Shoe of the Day: Fendi
Style Guide: Black On Black
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...