A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
818 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Living room project (seriously image obese!!)  (Read 3699 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaissa
« on: February 17, 2008 04:52:08 PM »

For the past week hubby and I have been working on our living room. I've hated it since we bought the house 4 years ago- it just always felt like a dungeon to me. All 4 walls and the ceiling are knotty pine, and the floor is wood too. It was just too much dark wood. The finish coat on everything had long since yellowed and it just always looked dingy. Our furniture did nothing to help either - big overstuffed dark green sofas - blech!

This project has been a long time coming. The amount of work involved was just overwhelming and prevented us from starting it. One thing was on my side though- hubby is a housepainter, so he had the knowledge, tools and materials to make it work.

We started sanding last Sunday, and finished sanding halfway through Thursday. About 50 hours of just sanding we figured out. eek! I can't take credit for too much of that- DH did almost all of that part.  We decided that 2 walls would stay wood, while we'd paint the other two.  Also, when we started sanding the floor we were surprised to find that it was gorgeous, light wood underneath. We had orginally planned on staining the floor, but when we saw what was underneath all the yuckiness, we just couldn't cover it up!

So, enough of my story- on to the pictures!
Here are a couple of before:

in progress:

and OMG, done! (well, almost, I still need window coverings - any ideas?!?!)

and comparing the floor:
before:

after: (this looks a little bit yellow- it's not at all)

and for reference - the old nasty furniture (also shows the awful floor):

The white door is getting painted too - we just haven't decided on a color yet!

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 04:56:31 PM by Kaissa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
battikins
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008 04:59:45 PM »

looks great, nice and cozy place you have!!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaissa
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008 05:06:43 PM »

Thank you. Our house is about 90 years old, so it's just an ongoing project. Cozy is what I am aiming for. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eternallyeve
Tutorial Contributor

Live - Love - Create

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008 05:09:12 PM »

That floor is just lovely! *swoon* It has certainly changed from a 'dungeon' to a cosy living room.

As for window coverings, it depends on your weather and privacy needs. Something country-ish would suit the wood but not everyone likes the style. Roman blinds would be nice and simple and you could make them if you wanted to.

Good luck, Eve
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come visit me Smiley
Website - Gallery - Blog - Tutorials - Store

Our collaborative craft blog!
Hand Made-n's
battikins
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008 05:10:10 PM »

Thank you. Our house is about 90 years old, so it's just an ongoing project. Cozy is what I am aiming for. Smiley

you are welcome.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tantrum
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008 08:44:24 AM »

Oh good lord. I have just been sanding all week as well! If I had to do the walls as well i would be completely Bonkers. Like bat shit crazy. Seriously. Congratulations on having a space you love now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If we resist our passions, it is more through their weakness than from our strength"
Kaissa
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008 12:13:18 PM »

Oh good lord. I have just been sanding all week as well! If I had to do the walls as well i would be completely Bonkers. Like bat shit crazy. Seriously. Congratulations on having a space you love now!

lol bat shit crazy is exactly what my poor husband was by Thursday!   I'm now sanding my bathroom. This sanding thing sucks.

and thank you!  Grin

That floor is just lovely! *swoon* It has certainly changed from a 'dungeon' to a cosy living room.

As for window coverings, it depends on your weather and privacy needs. Something country-ish would suit the wood but not everyone likes the style. Roman blinds would be nice and simple and you could make them if you wanted to.

Good luck, Eve

thank you, I love the floor as well! Smiley I ended up putting my blinds back up for now, but I made some adorable little curtains that are striped and semi country-ish. DH picked the fabric out and it was a realyl good match!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cheebz

I make clothes for imaginary people

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008 04:31:16 PM »

I'd bring the stripes from the edge of the carpet onto the curtains if you can find a similar print. You've got a lot of vertical lines on the walls that you want to compliment, not interrupt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenniferkathryn
I'm no superman

Love

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008 01:22:07 PM »

I love the floor! My boyfriends mother is going to be removing her carpet in the living room soon and will be installing tile over her hardwood floors! I have no Idea why?? Hardwood floors are so beautiful! Awesome change. I bet you are loving it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jennifer
 For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul. -- Judy Garland
Kaissa
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008 07:20:13 PM »

I'd bring the stripes from the edge of the carpet onto the curtains if you can find a similar print. You've got a lot of vertical lines on the walls that you want to compliment, not interrupt.

I ended up doing striped valances and it worked really well! thank you Smiley

I love the floor! My boyfriends mother is going to be removing her carpet in the living room soon and will be installing tile over her hardwood floors! I have no Idea why?? Hardwood floors are so beautiful! Awesome change. I bet you are loving it!

Thank you! My floor previously had been so ugly I thought about tile or carpet, too.  But once we got it all sanded down, it was so pretty, there's no way I could cover it! Smiley I was worried about my dogs scratching it all up, but whatever DH used to finish it doesn't really scratch! I now love the floor I used to hate.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Turning Gingerbread Cookies Into Tree Ornaments
How to Make a Photo Memory Box
How to Make Leaf Print Holiday Wrapping Paper
How to Make Glitter Pinecone Hanging Ornaments
How to Make Faux Bois Giftwrap
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...