A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,056
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knitting supplies/yarn in LA?  (Read 2543 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Messily

do something pretty while you can

View Profile WWW
« on: January 17, 2005 11:13:11 AM »

I've been knitting for about three years now, and now that I've finally mastered the purl stitch, I feel ready to move onto exciting new things.  I'd really like to experiment with different kinds of yarn and patterns.  Problem is, I've only ever been to Joann Fabrics, and I'm starting to get tired of them constantly being out of yarn and needles.  (Also, they're pretty far from where I live, near Melrose and Fairfax.)

Does anyone have a recommendation for a yarn store that is a step up from the big chains, but isn't one of those scary "celebrity knitting" stores where everything is hugely overpriced?  I want somewhere friendly and reasonable... tough things to find in *any* kind of store in LA, it seems.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annavs
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005 12:17:21 PM »

I have always felt incredibly comfortable at the Yarn Shop (?) on Pico, just west of Lincoln.  (It's a big yellow building.)  It's the sister store of Slipt Stitch in El Segundo.  The place has almost always had what I am looking for (or a substitute) and the staff is very helpful (one woman is a little difficult, but I think it's cultural rather than, "I usually wait on celebrities" attitude).  It's stuffed floor to ceiling--no room for bad attitudes!

AVS
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005 04:28:29 PM »

Thanks!  I'll check it out this weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dollydlux
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005 08:50:10 PM »

http://www.stitchnbitchla.com/resources.html

Go to this link and see if any of these places are close to you!  Many of them look great to me!  I am in San Diego though  Angry  Sometimes I really miss LA!  Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005 10:52:15 AM »

Awesome!  The whole SnBLA page is great.  Thanks so much!  I'd love to meet up with other knitters in person, since none of my local friends are into it at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athena404
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005 07:42:17 PM »

I like the knit cafe which is on melrose, and another cute little yarn store which im blanking out on the name of at the time which is a little closer to down town. Hmm, but there are also a ton of uber froo froo-y stores where they turn there noses up at you if you dont look like your going to buy any of there super expensive yarn.  Tongue Hmm, Seuss Design has cool patterns but theyre kinda expensive; ditto with their yarn, so i just like to go a get inspiration. Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Messily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005 08:17:38 PM »

Oh wow, I'd totally forgotten about this thread.  I tried to go to Knit Cafe a couple weeks ago, but they were closed for the Labor Day weekend.  But I've met a girl who works there, and she was super nice, so I have high hopes for them.  I also found Stitch Cafe in the valley, but sadly they're phasing out all yarn except their own hand-dyed.  I think they're keeping Noro, though, which is nice.

It turns out they just phased out certain yarn lines, but they still have quite a good selection -- loads of Noro, Rowan, Debbie Bliss, etc.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2005 01:27:14 PM by Messily » THIS ROCKS   Logged
needleme
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005 02:48:39 PM »

Bummer about Stitch Cafe......they have great classes but frankly, life is too short for me to dye yarn!  Would rather be knitting.  Knitterie Parisienne (Studio City on Ventura) has TONS of great yarn, a bit overwhelming and none of it is priced so you have to ask on every single skein.  Tons of cool stuff though, fun to dig!  Plan to spend some time if you go.  The owner is very nice and helpful.  Usually have to wait your turn if you need help, lots of folks knitting there at any time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
barbian7
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2005 10:56:05 AM »

check out the Southern California craft guide on getcrafty.com
http://getcrafty.com/home_socal.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2005 04:35:02 PM »

i was just recently at a mano yarn center which i had had previous good experiences with but this time the woman there was quite rude.
we inquired about a certain type of yarn and the woman totally blew us off and decided to continue reading her book, and as we were leaving she thought we had like taken a pattern book which we had in fact come in with....
so a bit of a disapointment
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Much Zoom Do I Need?
What is the Aspect Ratio setting on a Digital Cam?
In choosing a Digital Camera do Megapixels matter?
High Resolution Photography Part 3
How to Use a Tripod
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...