A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,379
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gluten Free/Celiac Recipes  (Read 17852 times)
Tags for this thread: gluten_free  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« on: February 17, 2008 07:37:34 AM »

Hey guys! I decided to put together a sticky because I saw a lot of repeat threads on here regarding gluten free and wheat free requests for members with Celiac's disease. Being someone who also has to try avoiding gluten on a daily basis, I thought I'd do everyone else a favor and combine these threads into one so they were easier to find!

There aren't many, unfortunately!

Misc. Suggestions and Recipes: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=30275.0
Discussion concerning a Gluten-free Blog: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49853.0
Gluten Free Beef Dishes: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=52285.0
Gluten Free Alternatives Flour: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=39040.0

*If you post a new Gluten free related topic, please let me know in this topic or in a PM and I'll add it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
ahluffoodie

awarness + balance

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008 05:14:50 PM »

Hi. This isn't a recipe, only a suggestion  Grin For a gluten free in-a-pinch dessert idea.
I modified it from an 'almost homemade' cooking show...
It's an APPLE CRISP idea...
peel, slice about 4 apples (empires, or another crisp baking apples work best)
put them in a lightly greased baking dish
throw about a 1/2 stick of marge/butter (melted)
about 1/4 cup of brown sugar
about 1/2 tablespoon of cinnamon
about 1/4 gluten free flour (i used corn flour, it was OK-- all purpose GF is probably best)
about 2/3c- 1c of water
MIX and pour it over the apples
Bake for about 20-25 mins on 350ish or until apples are tender, not mushy

I am not very accurate w/ my baking or cooking...

By the way, what is a 'PM'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

marching to my own heartbeat
LordVader

i AM the Dark Side

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008 05:44:22 AM »

does this include low-carb recipies as well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge."-Albert Einstein

"Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation, free without indecency, learned without conceitedness, novel without falsehood." - William Shakespeare

http://foodforthought1987.blogspot.com
Helen Adele
Fidget, First Class

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008 06:59:18 AM »

I'd love to hear what you guys think of different cookbooks.  Lately, I've been reading the Gluten Free Gourmet series, and they're pretty good.  The Gluten-Free Pantry has some good bread mixes, although I'm still looking for something to mimic the protein structure of wheat for that fluffy bread interior.

I started trying to work with the gluten-free stuff when my sister-in-law ended up with really severe food allergies. (She's not an actual celiac sufferer, she has an allergy and gets puffy and itchy.)  She's more like a little sister to me than an in-law, and it was heartbreaking to see her unable to eat food she really really loves.  Since then, I've been trying to come up with modifications and equivalents, with moderate success.  Bona fide successes: mac and cheese and thanksgiving stuffing.  Not so good: bread.  I can't get it to come out consistently, even with the mixes.  Every 2 or 3 loaves I get one that's fluffy like a brick.   Huh

Lord Vader, as far as I understand, low carb and gluten-free aren't really similar.  It's not about avoiding the carbs, it's more about avoiding the protein/gluten in wheat.  It is a pretty nasty medical condition rather than a diet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...no, your FACE is a...
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008 06:23:46 PM »

jMi, Thanks SO MUCH for making a sticky thread on this.

Celiac Disease (also called Celiac Spru) is an autoimmune disease that affects 1 out of 133 people in North America and Europe. Not so much in Asia but that may be due to the fact that their diet does not have a high gluten base. Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, and barley and causes someone with Celiac to have an "allergic" which consists of digestive issues, fatiuge, muscle and joint pain, depression/anxiety, and a myriad of other symptoms. Many people with other auto immune diseases (lupus, RA, fibro) may have Celiac or a gluten intolerance. The gluten in grains attacks the small intestine causing villic atrophy. The villi in the small intestine are small finger like critters that line the wall in your intestine which asorb nutrients from your food and they transport those nutrients into the blood stream. People with Celiac feel so bad because they dont get the proper nutrients from their food. Sometimes it takes a bit of time before symptoms show up (depending on how fast you digest food). Sometimes its immeaditely, other times it takes a few hours.

vegiac.com is a great resource for vegetarians and vegans who eat gluten free. I was vegetarian for 11 years and I now occasionally eat meat because my diet is so limited. Many people who have celiac are also lactose intolerant or have dairy allergies. I noticed when I eat dairy, my lips get all red and puffy, its really bizzare!

Bobs Red Mill is a wonderful company based out of Oregon (or WA, I forget) that has great gluten free products. I use their gluten free oats (the celiac community is out on the safeness of oats. In the US oats may be contaminated due to crop rotation so in a pinch I will eat regular oatmeal or when I make Challah for Shabbat I use oat flour, but I try to use certified gluten free oats) and bread mix for my bread machine. It always turns out fantastic, I reccomend the multi grain over the "white" bread, the texture is much better.

As far as sweets go, Pamelas ALL the way! Her brownie mix is ooey gooey and her chocolate chip cookies are great during my weakest PMS moments when nothing else will do. I also really enjoy Midel's ginger snaps, very zippy. They make a gluten free and NON gluten free, so reach for the fuschia bag not the orangey bag. The Good Life has okay bagels, a little moon rock-ish but in a pinch with enough cream cheese, it passes. Kinnick (sp?) has DELICIOUS gluten free english muffins and some pretty rad cinn-rolls.

My biggest reccomendation is to invest in a good quality bread machine and a rice cooker, they will make eating so much easier and enjoyable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008 08:41:48 AM »

No prob, Eva! Feel free to just edit my post!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
cinnamon teal
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008 02:31:55 PM »

Here's a recipe for flourless chocolate cake that I found over on the gluten-free goddess blog.  I've made it for valentines day and hubbers birthday.  It's pretty darn good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wendellina

CMF since '75 \../ >.< \../

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008 06:23:14 PM »

My 2 1/2 year old son was on a highly restricted diet for quite a while due to a lowered immune system.  We found the website http://www.ener-g.com/.  Very helpful.  A local market sold some products and we were able to get them.  He is slowly getting better and is now allowed to eat gluten foods but still cannot have any egg products nor any corn.  This include corn syrup which is in EVERYTHING!!!  That is a whole other topic!!!!

Hope the website helps.  Not sure if anyone has posted the website yet. 

Sorry if I am repeating something. Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008 12:42:05 PM »

I recently found out that I have gluten intolerance, and cleared myself by avoiding eating anything with gluten in it for about six months. In that time I had lots of time to experiment. Regarding bread, this is what I found out.
Gluten free bread is good if you're doing a quick bread like muffins or pancakes. If you try making a gluten free bread with yeast, it turns out hard, or rubbery at first and then dries out and crumbles to pieces days later. The cookbooks and websites suggest freezing it and using it one slice at a time, rather than keeping it in the bread box.
I experimented with various flours that I would grind myself that were not listed in the cookbooks. Some of these included garbanzo beans and brown basmati rice.I found that they added back in the nutty flavor I missed from whole wheat bread. I also tried sorghum which I bought at at a specialty store unground. I didn't notice any improvement from using it.
One of my best results happened when I used yogurt in the mix. It made the bread moister, which it was lacking from using the rice flour.
If you could find uncut oats, that you can grind yourself, this may be an option. Oats have gluten in them only because they are cut with the same machinery as the wheat. I found that I even had a reaction to cornmeal from traces of gluten in them.
After reading a book by Dr Ellen Cutler called Live Free from Asthma and Allergies, I learned that I could build up my body by taking digestive enzymes. Now I eat as much wheat products as I like. It has literally changed my life. Note, I was not a celiac. I just had an intolerance to gluten. If you'd like, I can look up my old successful bread recipe for you to try.
The other gluten free recipes offered in the cookbook were great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soygurl
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008 03:46:56 PM »

In the interest of full disclosure, I haven't tried this recipe yet. But I heard it was really good... and it's so wonderfully simple!

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
4 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350F.

Grease and flour one 9-inch round cake pan. Melt the chocolate chips either in a double broiler or in a microwave, being sure to stir every 20 seconds to avoid burning.

Combine the beans and eggs in either a food processor or a blender, and blend until smooth. Add the sugar and baking powder and blend. Finally, add the melted chocolate, and once again, blend until smooth. Pour the batter into the cake pan.

Bake for 40 minutes or until a fork or toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Place cake (still in pan) on a wire rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2008 04:41:32 PM »

That would be insanely easy to do. Let me know if you try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008 12:05:54 AM »

quick cookies

(you can make with gluten free or wheat cake mix if you dont want gluten free both works)

1 pkt gluten free cake mix
1/2 cup oil
2 room temp eggs

add nothing or can add up to 2 cups of extras, will be a little oily if you dont add anything but when baked they are yummy plain, particularly good with chocolate cake mix.
so you can add choc chips up to 1 cup, coconut 1/2 cup, nuts 1 cup (i used almond meal or macadamias)

ok mix it all till a dough forms, dont over mix.

make small to medium balls place on baking paper on tray, flatten with hand or spatula.
they wont spread much on there own.

bake about 15-20mins at 190'-200'c (iam guessing thats 350'F)
edges should be cooked, centre cooked but slightly soft.
yummy cookies!
dont over cook as they will be hard.

you could ice some together but the kids here prefer them apart!

enjoy
cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

becdedomingo
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009 08:08:57 AM »

I don't remember where I found this recipe but I've had it for years. It takes some work but my non-celiac kids and sister-in-law couldn't tell they were wheat free.

BAGELS - from Diane Gunmore.
(Adaption of Bette Hagman's Yeast-rising Thick Pizza (Gluten-Free Gourmet)).

2 c. rice flour
2 c. tapioca flour
2/3 c. dry milk powder or Dairy-free powder
3 1/2 tsp. Xanthan gum
1 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. shortening (canola oil OK) melted in 1/2 c. hot water
4 egg whites, room temp.
1 Tbsp. sugar, and 2 Tbsp. dry yeast dissolved in 1 c. warm water

TOPPING:
1 beaten egg yolk mixed with 1 Tbsp. cold water
sesame seeds, onion powder, garlic powder, other toppings, optional

In bowl of your heavy duty mixer, blend flours, dried milk, xanthan gum &
salt.

With the mixer on low, pour in the hot water with shortening, blending to
mix.  Add the egg whites, blend again, then add the yeast mixture.
Beat on high speed for 4 minutes. Allow to rise in the bowl about 1/2 hour.
After the first rise, mix again.

When dough is smooth, roll into 7" ropes, 1" thick. Form into a circle.
Moisten the ends and pinch together. Let rise 10 minutes.
Slide into a pot of boiling water. Boil 1 minute on each side. Place on 
an oiled cookie sheet. Brush top with the egg-water mixture and then 
sprinkle with desired topping or leave plain.  Bake at 425' for 15-20 
minutes.

This is a sticky dough.  Handle the dough with your hands in plastic bags,
or place a bowl of cold water on the countertop for wetting your fingertips
whenever the dough starts to stick to your fingers. Or add GF Flour mix 
sparingly, as necessary, to handle the dough.

This entire project takes about 1.5 hours, but the results are excellent -
tender & tasty, with a texture similar to a chewy soft pretzel.  I suspect
you could even roll it thinner & shape into pretzels, then salt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009 06:24:08 AM »

So, I have celiac disease, which means that getting a chocolate fix is sometimes hard.  All the recipes for flourless chocolate cake I could find called for solid baking chocolate, which I never had on hand.  I always had cocoa, on the other hand, so I have made several tries at flourless chocolate cake using cocoa.  The early ones were good enough for the chocolate fix.  But this one turned out rather well. 

Here's my recently perfected flourless chocolate cake recipe:

1 stick of butter (1/2 cup)
2 eggs, separated
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup Hershey's Special Dark (or powdered cocoa of choice)
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup liqueur of choice
1 tablespoon almond or vanilla

Bring butter and eggs to room temperature.  Heat liqueur and sugar until sugar melts and allow to cool to room temperature.  Cream butter and yolks.  Beat in half of cocoa.  Beat in sugar syrup.  Beat in remaining cocoa, flavor, and salt.  Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.  Fold into cocoa mix. 

Butter four 8 oz or six 6 oz ramekins and place in a shallow glass baking dish.  Fill ramekins equally with cake mix.  Pour boiling water into baking dish around ramekins.  Bake in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in center of ramekin comes out clean.

You can top these with toasted slivered almonds, powdered sugar, candied orange peel, or chocolate syrup.  You can also thin jelly with hot water and top with that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009 02:53:39 PM »

These make a nice chewy cookie that is very tender and tasty:

Gluten-Free Chocolate Glitter Cookies

Servings: 36 cookies

Ingredients:
6 oz (175 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
3 tbsp (50 mL) butter
2 eggs
1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar
1/4 cup (50 mL) liquid honey
2 cups (500 mL) ground almonds
Pinch salt
1/4 cup (50 mL) coarse sugar

Preparation:
Line 2 rimless baking sheets with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
In heatproof bowl over saucepan of hot (not boiling) water, melt chocolate with butter, stirring occasionally. Let cool to room temperature.

In bowl, beat eggs, granulated sugar and honey until foamy; fold in chocolate. In separate bowl, whisk almonds with salt ; fold into chocolate mixture. Cover; refrigerate until firm, 1 hour. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.)

Roll dough by rounded 1 tbsp (15 mL) into balls; roll each in coarse sugar. Place, 2 inches (5 cm) apart, on prepared pans. Freeze until firm, 15 minutes. Bake in top and bottom thirds of 325F (160C) oven, rotating and switching pans halfway through, until bottoms are darkened, 16 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; let cool.

Additional Information
Tip: Unless otherwise noted, cookies can be stored between waxed paper in airtight
container for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

noload
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009 04:13:26 AM »

a great team up for my carbs diet  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009 04:59:30 AM »

I never even knew this existed..I will have to go through my recipes and dig out some FAVES of ours..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
J_slice
Bird at the Window

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2009 03:51:40 AM »

I can't believe I just found this now! I'm vegan and now I've recently found out I can't eat gluten. Sad I have bought the cookbook "The Gluten-Free Vegan" which I would recommend, I also bought "Babycakes" and have had lots of problems with it! I have lots of vegan cookbooks and a lot of them have gluten or wheat in them.  A couple that don't have too many are "Veganomicon" and "Vegan Planet."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stevolteon
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009 11:56:12 AM »

I have a couple of friends with coeliac and have a very simple chocolate cake recipe which caters for them AND the lactose intolerant (although the dark, rich flavour goes particularly well with fresh whipped cream as a filling, which kind of cancels that out!). The only problem is I can never get it to rise properly, or at least it rises at first and then sinks a little. Not catastrophically, but it leaves the surface a little wrinkled. Has anyone got any experience with cakes like this? Any tips would be appreciated.

Ingredients:
6 eggs (separated)
150g castor sugar
50g cocoa powder

Preheat oven to gas mark 4 (180c) and grease and line two 20cm tins.

Beat the egg yolks with the sugar well (for at least 3 minutes) and then add the cocoa.

In a separate bowl whisk the whites together until firm.

Very carefully fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.

Separate into the tins, level off mixture and bake for about 15 minutes.

Allow to cool slightly before turning out.

The result is a very spongey, very light cake with a deep flavour.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyLittleLady
CraftyLittleLady

I heart crafts!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010 07:45:09 PM »

Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients

* Crust:
    * 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all purpose baking flour
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 cup vegetable oil
    * 2 tablespoons french vanilla soy creamer

* Pie Filling:
    * 2 cups canned pumpkin
    * 1 cup french vanilla soy creamer
    * 3/4 cup brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup cornstarch
    * 1 tablespoon dark corn syrup
    * 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
   2. Stir together all purpose gluten-free flour and 1 teaspoon salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil and soy creamer until creamy. Pour oil mixture into flour mixture, stir with fork until blended. Pat the crust into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 15 minutes in preheated oven. Remove and set aside.
   3. Decrease oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place pumpkin, soy creamer, brown sugar, cornstarch, corn syrup, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, salt, and cloves in a blender. Blend until combined. Pour into prebaked pie crust. Place foil around the edges of the pie crust and bake for 60 minutes or until a knife inserted 1 inch from crust comes out clean. Cool pie on counter for 2 hours then refrigerate overnight before serving.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When I'm not making crafts, I'm dreaming them up!
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2010 04:52:50 PM »

I wanted to share this website ****WHICH IS NOT MINE****www.livingwithout.com  it is gluten free, dairy free, casein free and other allergy site. It is also a magazine which I picked up today. The lady that owns the local health food store recommened it to me b/c I was talking to her about my DD allergies. It has alot of very good info and substituiting ingredients too.

My DD is 5 and has food allergies to milk, soy, wheat, eggs, peanuts and beef and loads of enviromental too. And she also can not eat tomato which will set her eczema off really bad. I am new to the wheat/gluten free shopping and it was really exhausting trying to figure this all out. The store owner also lent me the Gluten Free Bible book and I had also picked one up from the library so I have lots of reading to do! We are trying a different rice milk which I hope she won't mind this time.

So Please Please Please share any good recipes you have! Any ideas in general would be great!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010 07:43:54 PM by MacesMeMe - Reason: FOR PEOPLE THAT CAN'T READ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
zombie
hm. i'll fill this in when i think of something clever...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2010 11:24:11 AM »

Ooh, good thread. My 4 y.o. sister is on a gluten-free diet. Also, I found the Land o' Lakes pretty helpful and used a few of the recipes before. http://www.landolakes.com/mealideas/gluten-free-recipes.cfm They're all gluten-free

Gluten-Free Fudge

2 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 stick butter or margarine
One 5 oz. can evaporated milk (2/3 c.)
1 Jar (7 1/2oz) Marshmallow Fluff
3/4 tsp. gluten free vanilla
One 12-oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips (Enjoy Life has some good ones. Dairy, soy, and gluten free)*
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (optional)

Combine the first 5 ingredients in a saucepan and stir over low heat until blended. Increase heat to Medium and bring to a boil.  Stir constantly for 5 minutes until. Remove from heat, stir in the rest of the ingredients. Add nuts. Turn into greased 9" square pan and cool. Makes 2 1/2 pounds.

*Can find at Kroger, Raley's, and Whole Foods stores
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BThans
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010 10:19:40 PM »

I'm so glad to find some fellow gf crafters :-)

Here are some links that I've found:
Cookies
http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/blog/2010/04/21/gluten-free-maple-peanut-butter-cookies/
http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/blog/2010/05/06/raw-chocolate-peca-tarts-gluten-free/
Cake
http://www.elanaspantry.com/carrot-cake/

« Last Edit: June 05, 2010 03:13:24 PM by Troublet » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkapple
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2010 11:37:37 AM »

Thank you soooooo very much for this thread!!!!!!
Just Diagnosed with Celiac 2 weeks ago. So I am on the search for good products and substitutions. I have to agree about those "PAMELA'S" brownies....they are better than any mix I have tried including ones that were not gluten free...gotta love good brownies!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rishloo
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010 01:05:03 PM »

This is great! My friend just recently found out he's gluten-intolerant and this will be helpful to him Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BethieB

Welcome to the nuthouse, enjoy your stay! :D

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2010 07:30:18 AM »

I love this thread so much!!  I just found out I more than likely have celiac - got the blood work done two weeks ago and have the appointment next week to find out.  In the mean time I've been trying to be as gluten free as possible and I have to say, I feel soooooo much better already, a lot less pain and am able to sleep better at night even, just because I am not hurting as badly as usual.  I will be bookmarking this and trying out the recipes asap, thanks for all the great information.

Also, I had no idea that this could affect anxiety/depression levels.  I have so many issues with both of those conditions, it is kind of fascinating to see the common thread between that and my digestive issues.  Thanks again for all the info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog: http://messymama.wordpress.com
Am taking a crafting/posting hiatus and formally withdrawing from all the CAL's I was in.  Need time to recharge and rewire.  But, I am still lurking and loving you guys like crazy, keep posting the amazing projects!!!  You all rock!
buffalogirl

Gotta love it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010 03:58:00 PM »

I got this recipe off of Gluten Free Girls blog.. I made them for work and no one was the wiser.  They are a little on the sweet side, so you have been forewarned.  Also, on Gluten Free Girls blog uses white sugar but I changed mine and used brown sugar in it's place.  This is the recipe, copied from the blog. http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2006/10/yum-yum-peanut-butter.html

This is super easy, just keep in mind that you will be tempted to put these back in the oven because they will be very soft when you take them out (I was and that ='d the bad, as burnt peanut butter is not so yummy).  You will need to let them sit.

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

One cup creamy peanut butter
One cup brown sugar (one the blog it is white sugar instead of brown)
One teaspoon baking powder
One egg

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cream the peanut butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat in the baking powder. Add the egg. Mix until it is all well combined.

The dough will be sticky, so be prepared to get your hands messy. Roll some dough into a ball. (How big? That depends on you. I have found, however, that the smaller these cookies are, the better they hold together. Eat two instead of one!)

Bake in the oven for about ten minutes. You will know the cookies are done when they feel coherent, but still a little soft. Take the tray out of the oven and let the cookies rest for at least five minutes. Afterwards, carefully transfer them to a cooling rack. After ten minutes or so, they will have hardened.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ravishing Jane
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010 05:11:26 AM »

I just came across this thread and love reading everyone's recipe suggestions.  I've been gluten free for 3 years now and have had a 180 degree change in life as far as energy, depression, sleep, nasal allergies, moodiness, hives and stomach issues go. 

I am a dairy lover...  You always crave the things you can't eat right?  I wasn't able to stomach dairy for years before going GF, but after about a year of having no gluten in my system I was able to handle small amounts.  I can now eat a reasonable amount and am loving it.

I am a past lover...  After trying many different brands of GF pasta and making my own (insane work), my family has determined that Quinoa pasta is bomb-diggity.  Most people can't even tell that it's not a wheat pasta and it comes in a large variety of forms.  The texture is perfect.

It's great to see supermarkets becoming more and more GF friendly over the years.  When I had to cut out the gluten it was a lot harder to find anything worth eating.  Now Bisquick and Betty Crocker even have GF options on the shelf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

to know about handmade, and not to support handmade, is not to know.
http://www.ravishingjane.com
monnie31
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011 08:25:03 PM »

Lovin this thread!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011 03:30:43 PM »

I can't believe I haven't read this thread before! I am going gluten free, had my blood test monday to test for gluten intolerance. Regardless of the results I think I'm going to continue eating this way, I already feel so much better!

Here's an almond butter recipe I love, similar to the pb one a couple posts above but much less sugar (and in the form of agave). Can also be made with pb.

Clean Eating Almond Butter Cookies

1 cup almond butter (unsalted)
1/3 cup agave nectar (or honey)
1 egg
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. sea salt
1/2 semi-sweet chocolate chips

Pre-heat oven to 350′. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Mix all ingredients together and scoop onto cookie sheet with a tablespoon. Bake for 10-12 minutes, let rest for 5, then move to your plate or a wire rack to cool. Wrap in wax paper to freeze or enjoy them ASAP.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011 03:31:10 PM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/19

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
guacaMolly
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2011 09:20:43 PM »

I totally thought that I had posted in this thread before, but I guess I just bookmarked it! DH and I have been low carb for years (independently even before we met eachother!), and a go to website of ours is www.healthyindulgences.blogspot.com

Turns out, Lauren (who owns the blog) is gluten free, so all of her recipes are too, and she almost always offers a lactose intolerant alternative. There are tons and tons of really yummy recipes, if you are willing to invest in the specialty ingredients that way of eating calls for, which we do in varying degrees depending on the budget. But, it's a nice way to avoid gluten and stay low carb and still have yummy treats if anyone's interested. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011 07:28:36 AM »

I thought I might share some of the gluten free blogs that I follow that haven't been mentioned yet, for anyone who is looking for recipes.

Ginger Lemon Girl
Gluten Hates Me
Hey, That Tastes Good
Book of Yum

I usually use Bob's Red Mill gluten free flours for baking, and they have a pretty good selection of recipes on their website as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011 08:05:03 PM »

I've just recently discovered a gluten sensitivity.  And I have to say I've adapted quite well.  Just tonight we had onion rings and chicken balls for supper.  Two things I thought were out of my life for good!
They are dipped in the same homemade batter, and here's the recipe!

1/2 cup corn starch
1/2 cup rice flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1tsp salt
1 large egg
aproximately1/2 cup water

Mix the dry ingredients together.  Add the egg and stir it in.   Add water a bit at a time until the batter is thick enough to stick to the fork and not come off all to quickly, just a bit thicker then pancake consistency.  If you add too much water, just sprinkle in a bit more of each flour, mixing after each addition. (if you get to crazy with adding the flour, leaving you needing more water yet, you'll just have to decide to double the batter and find more things to deep fry.  Peaches are delish done this way-just add a sprinkle of Cinnamon!)

And there you have it, deep fried nommyness!  and gluten free to boot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

guacaMolly
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011 01:04:17 PM »

Healthy Peanut Butter Cups

Made these today, they are in my freezer right now--- SO quick and easy for a low carb chocolate/sweet fix, and I can tell from licking my spoon they are yummy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quasior
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011 06:40:24 AM »

We are almost a gluten free household, with 3 of 7 never touching it.  Gluten Free Goddess is fantastic and I've learnt so much from her.  This is a link of some choc chip cookies I make the
children love.  There is an odd recipe on there, I really must add more but really considering just doing a new one fresh... here it is:

http://quasiorsrecoveryfromsillyyaks.blogspot.com/2009/06/gluten-free-choc-chip-cookies-update.html

done right they seem to melt in your mouth!  Hope you like Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lorelei
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2011 04:32:55 PM »

My boyfriend and his mom both have Celiac so I'm learning the ropes as well as becoming gluten free myself ( I have a slight intolerance myself and I'm less scared of 'poisoning' them ).  My other roommate is vegan so I'm working on perfecting gf vegan baking which is what I love most.

I came up with this GF Vegan Bundt cake: http://adorningschemes.blogspot.com/2011/11/to-bake-gf-vegan-pineapple-persimmons.html which came out pretty good.  I was wondering if anyone had any great basic gf vegan dough and cake recipes I could work from altering.  The ones I've invented have just been delicious but slightly off in consistency.

Other resources:
my bf's mom - http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/
my friend's gf baking blog - http://soulandpastry.blogspot.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paper Selvage
Read my blog!
Like my blog on facebook!
Pinterested?
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2011 06:13:15 PM »

Eggless flourless macaroons

1 400g package of unsweetened shredded coconut
1 300 ml can of sweetened condensed milk

mix the 2 ingredients together and place by spoonfuls on parchment paper lined pans
leave mounded for softer consistency or flatten slightly for crispy edges and chewier consistency, they do not spread very much. bake at 350 till edges and peaks are golden, watch carefully they burn fast!  leave on parchment for a short while as they are too soft when hot to be removed from pan right away.  One craftster on this site made them and said she had to beat her husband off them with a stick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thespacequeen87
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2011 02:38:15 PM »

i just wanted to chime in in saying how excited i am to see an entire section devoted to gluten free recipes - woohoo! i myself do i not eat a gluten free diet, but i work at a place where we have a lot of customers who eat gluten free or are shopping for a gluten free relative or friend, or who are just curious and ask questions about our gluten free section; "what is gluten free?" ect. so this is great! pretty syked to be able to look up some recipes, print em out, and share the love Cheesy so yay! loving this site more and more every time i get on here <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WindingHillToys

Student, Crafter, Dreamer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2013 05:32:33 AM »

Oh this is so exciting!  I eat an extremely limited diet, including running fast and far from gluten.  One of my very favorite recipes is this recipe for PB chocolate chip cookies from the detoxinista!

http://detoxinista.com/2012/02/flourless-peanut-butter-chip-cookies/

They taste like they have flour in them, but they're actually grain free.

Thanks for making this a sticky!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013 08:28:32 AM by MareMare - Reason: to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

monnie31
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013 05:04:48 PM »

I am both Gluten and Dairy free, it is quite challenging.  I made some great cookies, but bread is still tough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pinkleo
Tutorial Contributor

~*HPC Headmistress*~

lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2013 12:28:53 PM »

I posted my GF Pumpkin Bread Recipe: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=428194.0#axzz2hXOjlUQJ
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplyCarli
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014 12:46:28 PM »

Where has this website been all my life? I'm loving all of these recipes! My husband has been gluten free for several years now. Not due to an allergy but rather as a health benefit. Just over a year ago, my then 10 year old daughter was diagnosed as a type 1 diabetic. Right now she is not Celiac but she is tested yearly to check for it due to the fact that 10% of type 1's are or will become Celiac in their lifetime. She is completely dependent on injected insulin with every meal and tests her blood sugar at least 10 times daily. Wheat is not great for her blood sugar, obviously but I've not been able to pull her from it completely. I love finding recipes/info that will help me make her feel like her life is normal in an attempt to rid us of junk. ;-)

Does anyone know the effects of gluten free flour on blood sugar?

So glad to have found this board!
-Carli
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carli Lowry
Blogger @ Simply Notable - http://www.SimplyNotable.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why Author Ann Patchett Loves "The Twelve Tribes of Hattie"
Step Inside The Carriage House With Author Louisa Hall
Dr. Mike Moreno on Why Moving Is So Important
Tracy Guzeman on Her Debut Novel, The Gravity of Birds
Jessica Buchanan on Her Dramatic Rescue by SEAL Team Six
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...