A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crafty Adventures while on holiday in Wales  (Read 1534 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PurpleHeather
« on: February 17, 2008 07:33:49 AM »

Just thought I'd note down the places we went for craft bits while on our recent holiday, in case anyone else is in a similar area.

We went to Abakhan in Mostyn and spent the best part of a day there buying far too much fabric and yarn.  They also have a good sized papercraft section.

On the way back from there to our cottage in Dolgellau, we called in on Trefriw Woolen Mill, where you can see their weaving machine making bedspreads.  They also sell Ashford wheels & looms, wool woven at the mill, mulberry dyer natural dyeing kits, small scale peglooms, fibre for spinning & felting, and skirt kits for sewing with Trefriw tweeds.  A really interesting place. They also have a cafe, and in summer have more handspinning & weaving demos.

Corris Craft Centre is near Machynlleth on the A487 between Corris & Corris Uchaf.  I can't find a webpage about it, but this page describes they mazes on site which are open in summer.  It has a lot of shops selling work made by local craftspeople, but if you're looking for supplies, the candle shop does candle dipping in summer, the tanners sells leather scraps, and on site there is a papercrafting shop, which was closed when we went, and a lovely quilt shop, which was worth the journey as we spent rather a lot of money there!  I got a moda jelly roll, matching Charm Pack (look & learn) and some fat quarters, and friends got FQs, fabrics, wadding and other bits.

Anyone else got any recommendations of craft shops in Wales which are worth a visit?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014 08:54:27 AM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to remove link per vendor request. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kittyboo
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008 09:02:20 AM »

Hi PurpleHeather,

Thanks for the recommendations - the Trefriw Woolen Mill particularly grabbed my attention - looks lovely - will have to persuade the hubby to take me out there!

I love Machynlleth - one of my favourite places - did you visit the Centre for Alternative Technology too? I know it's not a craft venue, but it's so brilliant its definately worth a visit if you haven't been already.

Regarding future places for you to visit, Hay on Wye is a great place - as well as all the lovely second-hand bookshops (some with v.good craft book sections, there's a newish makers gallery there - www.haymakers.co.uk which is full of wonderful inspiring things. Also, near where I live in Abergavenny, there is another good craft gallery www.courtcupboardga llery.com - although seeing as I've already posted about the delights of Abergavenny today, I better not mention it again lest people start to think I'm working for the tourist board or something...  Grin

Another good place for holiday cottages, particularly if you want something a bit different, is www.underthethatch. co.uk - they have traditional-style Welsh cottages, Gypsy Caravans and a converted railway carriage that you can rent!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Home Brew Hoisin Ribs Recipe
Braised Baby Carrots Recipe
How to Make Pork Loin Roast Sandwiches
How to make Arugula and Scallops with Cornbread
Shrimp Salad Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...