A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: making semi-permament dye last longer  (Read 2596 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gigi Icon
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008 05:35:34 PM »

I add the vinegar straight to the dye before applying it and I also don't apply until my hair is TOTALLY dry.

I wash is very infrequently, in cool water as many have said.

My other trick is when it needs to be refreshed, shampoo your hair (to remove the natural oils), rinse, towel dry and then apply a bit of your color before conditioning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
merricat17
Strange Grounds

Strange Grounds Coffee, 1417 S Broadway, Denver CO

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008 10:07:09 AM »

i have been dying my hair regularly (with the exception of time spent in the military, with a crew cut) for eight years now.  everyone has given some pretty good advice, but i would like to share with you all the best hairdye i have come across. i've used manic panic, special effects, rage whatever, beyond the Zone, and i used to use Splat when it was still on the market.  but this stuff has given me far better results.  its called Adore.  i get it from here http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/creatimadsem.html.   i've found it produces brighter colors on bleached hair.  Its liquid, though, and not a gel, so its a bit difficult to get used to applying it on your head if you are accustomed to a gel or paste like many of the dyes you can get without a license.  here's their Purple Rage on me, after being washed 8 times:

and here's their Orange Blaze, about a month after dyeing.  i'm not sure how often my husband washes his hair, honestly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
almostascone
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008 11:24:39 AM »

i have been dying my hair regularly (with the exception of time spent in the military, with a crew cut) for eight years now.  everyone has given some pretty good advice, but i would like to share with you all the best hairdye i have come across. i've used manic panic, special effects, rage whatever, beyond the Zone, and i used to use Splat when it was still on the market.  but this stuff has given me far better results.  its called Adore.  i get it from here http://www.texasbeautysupplies.com/creatimadsem.html.   i've found it produces brighter colors on bleached hair.  Its liquid, though, and not a gel, so its a bit difficult to get used to applying it on your head if you are accustomed to a gel or paste like many of the dyes you can get without a license.  here's their Purple Rage on me, after being washed 8 times:

Wow, they have a lot of colors. Do you know if there's a place where they show what each color looks like?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/almostascone
merricat17
Strange Grounds

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008 11:53:07 AM »

no, although they might have their own website, but i can't seem to find it.  i first came across them in Georgia, and sally's doesn't carry them- i found it in stores catering specifically to the black community, and the ladies there were super helpful.  they had little hair samples out in front of the colors in the store, but i've been to 3 different stores here in Denver without finding it, so i order it online.  i found this image, but it doesn't have all the colors on it- http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ebonyline51_1998_555020
here's an older phone pic of my hair using their Indigo Blue and Forest Green.

but bear in mind, that is on very, VERY bleached hair.  bleached to levels one should not strive for.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
almostascone
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008 12:01:25 PM »

Ooh, pretty colors. Do you think the darker/brighter shades they have would work on unbleached hair? (My hair isn't very dark, or very light... I rarely bleach it, but Special Effects doesn't really require that anyway...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps.

http://www.wists.com/almostascone
merricat17
Strange Grounds

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008 12:16:44 PM »

honestly?  i have no idea.  my hair is fairly dark, so i always bleach.  i've never tried their dyes out on unbleached hair, but their prices are so low it really doesn't cost a lot to get a bunch of different colors and experiment.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Strange Grounds Coffee
1417 South Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
Impshlady

I wish i had eight arms...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008 02:16:44 PM »

I've been using Directions since the early 90's. It used to be the only sort i could get, then i did try other types when they came out, but i wasn't ever that impressed.

I agree that blue washes out easiest, (need to redo mine tomorrow!) and red stays in longest (or at least fades to the prettiest colours).

The way i do it is:

Bleach hair until white/yellow/as light as i can go before it drops off.
Shampoo out the bleach, noting that my hair is now all slithery and feels like slime...mmm healthy.
Towel dry hair and comb through (carefully so you don't snap it all off!)
Apply dye to hair/ears/sink/dressing gown/shower curtain etc
Comb hair back in cool John Travolta style
Sit and watch TV/lurk on Craftster until the wee small hours
Rinse hair until water is almost clear, or until your arm hurts or until you get bored.
Towel dry using old dyeing towel, put on 3rd best pyjamas and go to bed.
wake up and see your pillow now matches your hair, so does your bath, and the floor.

You shouldn't need to put more colour on for a couple of weeks, or just let it fade out like a My Little Pony, and see how long you can go before re-bleaching your roots.

I have never managed to keep a colour in my hair any longer than about 2 weeks, even without washing it. I don't think it would work on unbleached hair unless it was really naturally blonde, but i hear it works really well on grey hair! Wink

I would love to try some of these wonderful American brands and see if they stay in for longer. Merricat17 thanks for that link, they deliver internationally! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

M Fox
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008 07:04:54 PM »

Splat is still on the market, or at least it was a couple weeks ago at Walgreens, and on sale, too.  I bought Luscious Lavender.  I tried it on a scrap of hair last night, without bleach.  I'll try another with bleach and see how that goes.  I also did a strand of my gray, at it really showed up!  I think I'm still a bit nervous about doing an unnatural colour, as the closest I've come to that has been a very red-auburn  did a few years back.  I also wonder if I'm a bit too old to be doing this!  Grin
Then I think of the show "Are You Being Served" and how the older woman always had some bright weird coloured hair.  (but I'm nowhere as old as her!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thekatt

Lasers and cats don't mix.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008 12:45:59 PM »

I have dyed my hair all sorts of colors, and here's my shower ritual.

I don't wash my hair when I have bright hair. Only when it gets super greasy gross do I. Even then, I wash it with the smallest amount possible of shampoo (quarter sized blob of shampoo) and get it out as soon as possible. But after about a month of just dealing with sporadic washings (I'm up to a week or week and a half without washing nowadays) your hair adjusts. It's much healthier and happier with all the natural oils that the scalp has to protect it that we seem to want to wash out as soon as possible. 

Then, I deep condition. My favorite one is Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Deeeeep, which can be found in most places. I use a blob about the size of a golf ball.  Then, I use a dye conditioner. I get some cheap conditioner (V05 usually) and mix in a couple tablespoons of dye in it so it's nice and vibrant colored. Put on a BUNCH of it and work it into your scalp. Then, I turn off the shower and put a shower cap on and let the conditioner soak in. The shower cap helps to keep everything nice and warm so the conditioner can do more work at repairing the hair, and the dye can seep in more.
After five or ten minutes, I take the cap off and rinse out my hair in lukewarm water.

It's a ritual like this that kept my orange hair bright and vibrant for two months before I had to dye it back to brown for school.

Excuse the crappy cameraphone pics, but here's what my hair looked like last summer:
The first picture is of it freshly dyed outdoors. The one next to it is from the night I had to dye it back (the color was still incredibly vibrant). The one on the bottom was probably a month after I dyed it.

I still see Splat at Walgreens.

I'm still not sure what color I'll dye it this summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulkycat
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2008 01:31:46 PM »

i never have too much problem making dye last, my hairs pretty porous & grabs the colour quickly

i certainly couldnt bear to let it get greasy tho, i hate having dirty hair! (no offence, just my personal opinion)

i tend to slap my dye on dry clean hair - never ever onto hair thats been conditioned first (usually a mix of directions & crazy colour, not impressed with any others i have tried- & believe me, over the years i think i have tried a lot!), thorough shampoo, condition (aussie 3 minutes good if its been a bleaching roots session beforehand, otherwise i like tigi) - nothing special

as for being too old to dye your hair - i am 42 in  2 weeks time, & this is the colour of mine at the mo, with more pink added to it (mix of rose pink, flamingo pink at the back & pillar box red)

when i started playing with my hair there simply werent any hair dyes available, bleach & foodcolouring was the best, with sugar & water to spike it up! (a nightmare in the rain, & chased by wasps in the summer!!)

(scuse pic, was taken when i had no makeup on at all, scary)

argg, that means i have not seen my natural colour (blonde) for almost 30 years!!i started dying it when i was 12 or 13....

i am head of english, have taught for a long long time & never had any negative comments about my hair at all - attitude & confidence goes a long way!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008 01:36:40 PM by sulkycat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Cherries
How to Paint Lilies
Learn About Painting and Sculpture
Learn About The Evolution of an Art Style
Learn About "Bombing Middle England" by Banksy
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...