A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
458 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scandi Mei Tai and a Simply Sweet Twirly Skirt - IMGs  (Read 6904 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LoopedyLoop
« on: February 16, 2008 05:30:38 PM »

My 20 month old, Kate, has been under the weather this week and has wanted to be held constantly. Which I don't mind, BUT... I need my arms to, well... do stuff! I found this great and free tutorial for a Scandi Mei Tai carrier. I found the tutorial link here on craftster. These suckers can retail for $100 - $200!!! Can you believe that? I spent $0! For this Mei Tai, I used my mom's old black jeans for the shoulder and waist straps. I used leftover fabric for the carrier and hood. I wasn't very familiar with mei tai carriers before I made it. Kate loved being held in a Hot Sling and Baby Bjorn when she was little but since she's so tall, she quickly outgrew them both! The Mei Tai can hold a toddler up to 40 pounds. Kate's 28 pounds, so I think I'll have a while. It basically holds her in a piggy-back position on my back. It's surprisingly comfortable to wear (thanks to extra padding in the shoulder and waist straps). I think when my husband and I go to New Mexico next month, we'll bring this instead of a stroller. Kate mostly likes to walk places but when she gets tired, I'll just strap her on my back and go!

Please excuse my girl's pitiful face; she's been sick this week Sad

I made Kate this twirly skirt from some cute poplin fabric I had lying around.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom232
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008 05:40:20 PM »

That mei tai is beautiful!!!!  I've been scared to make one b/c I'm afraid the fabric won't hold or something. LOL!
Love the skirt too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ingysoup
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008 05:40:33 PM »

OMG!  I love that and wish I'd had one when my son was little.  He hated the stroller -liked to walk or be held.  The only alternative I had was an extremely HOT corduroy thingy I got thrifting, complete with BIG metal bars.  Not too good in FL.  I love the fabric, and the skirt too!  Have fun in NM!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008 05:40:44 PM »

the carrier turned out great and i love the fabric! poor little bug though Sad my little bug has been sick all week w/ an ear infection Sad i may just have to steal ur idea and make one for my b/f to wear so he can cart our daughter around when we go hiking in the mountains. was it very difficult? ive only made semi difficult clothing before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008 05:41:01 PM »

I think I have to make some for my nieces!  What a fabulously freeing carrier.  You look so happy with it, and you kiddo will love being next to mommy all day long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeagleMommy
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008 05:53:23 PM »

What a great looking carrier! I like the skirt, too. I haven't ventured into making skirts for dd yet.

Don't be intimidated. These are not that difficult to make if you can sew. I have made Beth's Man-Tai with the directions from www.sleepingbaby.net, look under do it yourself. It was moderately tough, but it was one of my first sewing projects. Another good place to check out is www.thebabywearer.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoopedyLoop
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008 06:43:18 PM »

I agree - don't be intimidated! It wasn't too bad and I would consider myself an advanced beginner (sewing wise). The tutorial was SO clear! If you have any ?s about it, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

holly1021
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008 06:55:41 PM »

Nice work!  I hope your kiddo starts feeling better soon.  But in the meantime at least she can ride in style and comfort.  Smiley

Ooh, using old jeans for the straps--what a great idea. . .it's heavy-duty but pre-softened!  I bought canvas to make my MT and it was SO stiff and uncomfortable at first. . . Embarrassed I'm going to remember the recycled jeans idea for the next one I make, for sure.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008 06:58:14 PM »

Looks great! I admire moms that think outside the box, and I'm amazed your little gal likes to walk, that's incredible! You can now have a Mei Tai in every color you want, to match all sorts of clothes and accessories. Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
mountaingrrl
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008 07:07:57 PM »

I love this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Debunk Shark Surfer and a Talk with GOD
Production Tech Tips: 3D Camera Systems
Small Tripods / Equipment to Stabilize Your Camera - Road Gear - Video ...
How to Paint with Light - A Photography Technique
How to Build a Bulldog 5x4 Large Format Camera
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...