A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,846
Currently Running With Scissors:
539 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scandi Mei Tai and a Simply Sweet Twirly Skirt - IMGs  (Read 6884 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LoopedyLoop
« on: February 16, 2008 05:30:38 PM »

My 20 month old, Kate, has been under the weather this week and has wanted to be held constantly. Which I don't mind, BUT... I need my arms to, well... do stuff! I found this great and free tutorial for a Scandi Mei Tai carrier. I found the tutorial link here on craftster. These suckers can retail for $100 - $200!!! Can you believe that? I spent $0! For this Mei Tai, I used my mom's old black jeans for the shoulder and waist straps. I used leftover fabric for the carrier and hood. I wasn't very familiar with mei tai carriers before I made it. Kate loved being held in a Hot Sling and Baby Bjorn when she was little but since she's so tall, she quickly outgrew them both! The Mei Tai can hold a toddler up to 40 pounds. Kate's 28 pounds, so I think I'll have a while. It basically holds her in a piggy-back position on my back. It's surprisingly comfortable to wear (thanks to extra padding in the shoulder and waist straps). I think when my husband and I go to New Mexico next month, we'll bring this instead of a stroller. Kate mostly likes to walk places but when she gets tired, I'll just strap her on my back and go!

Please excuse my girl's pitiful face; she's been sick this week Sad

I made Kate this twirly skirt from some cute poplin fabric I had lying around.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

mom232
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008 05:40:20 PM »

That mei tai is beautiful!!!!  I've been scared to make one b/c I'm afraid the fabric won't hold or something. LOL!
Love the skirt too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ingysoup
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008 05:40:33 PM »

OMG!  I love that and wish I'd had one when my son was little.  He hated the stroller -liked to walk or be held.  The only alternative I had was an extremely HOT corduroy thingy I got thrifting, complete with BIG metal bars.  Not too good in FL.  I love the fabric, and the skirt too!  Have fun in NM!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrochetAdikt

splish splash i was takin a bath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008 05:40:44 PM »

the carrier turned out great and i love the fabric! poor little bug though Sad my little bug has been sick all week w/ an ear infection Sad i may just have to steal ur idea and make one for my b/f to wear so he can cart our daughter around when we go hiking in the mountains. was it very difficult? ive only made semi difficult clothing before...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008 05:41:01 PM »

I think I have to make some for my nieces!  What a fabulously freeing carrier.  You look so happy with it, and you kiddo will love being next to mommy all day long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeagleMommy
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008 05:53:23 PM »

What a great looking carrier! I like the skirt, too. I haven't ventured into making skirts for dd yet.

Don't be intimidated. These are not that difficult to make if you can sew. I have made Beth's Man-Tai with the directions from www.sleepingbaby.net, look under do it yourself. It was moderately tough, but it was one of my first sewing projects. Another good place to check out is www.thebabywearer.com

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LoopedyLoop
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008 06:43:18 PM »

I agree - don't be intimidated! It wasn't too bad and I would consider myself an advanced beginner (sewing wise). The tutorial was SO clear! If you have any ?s about it, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

holly1021
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008 06:55:41 PM »

Nice work!  I hope your kiddo starts feeling better soon.  But in the meantime at least she can ride in style and comfort.  Smiley

Ooh, using old jeans for the straps--what a great idea. . .it's heavy-duty but pre-softened!  I bought canvas to make my MT and it was SO stiff and uncomfortable at first. . . Embarrassed I'm going to remember the recycled jeans idea for the next one I make, for sure.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008 06:58:14 PM »

Looks great! I admire moms that think outside the box, and I'm amazed your little gal likes to walk, that's incredible! You can now have a Mei Tai in every color you want, to match all sorts of clothes and accessories. Awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
mountaingrrl
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008 07:07:57 PM »

I love this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jasar31629
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008 07:31:22 PM »

I made a couple slings for my sis a couple weeks ago...I know whatcha mean about it being handy and all.  If and when we have another I think I would do this MUCH more than the stroller we used to lug everywhere...  You know, the hummer strollers with shocks and all (I actually like them, but they can be a pain).  We only have a compact car...so if you do any sort of shopping  Roll Eyes

NEhow- very cute!  I have that same fabric, so I guess I'm biased!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008 07:32:09 PM by jasar31629 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kity
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008 09:00:50 PM »

I love how these look like they work, I wanna make em for people I know, but I'm worried about the response and if something rips or they don't put it on right and the child falls and gets hurt.. I would be very sick because I made it.... so :x....
But they look so awesome...
Dun even know how well something like that would go down with the parents with kids cuz I don't have em, not wanting any for the time being etc etc ^.^;;;
Looks good Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008 02:34:20 AM »

Looks superb!!  Grin

I have a M.T making habit,it is quite bad Embarrassed Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
earthmonkey
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008 02:51:38 AM »

These Mei Tais are so cool. I love that little skirt too - it's super sweet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
puddinghead
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008 06:34:51 AM »

love the mei tai!! I would've loved one when Abi was tiny Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Charfish
Ever have a 24 hour hangover and feel like you just got off the tilt-a-whirl? Welcome to Pregnancy!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008 06:41:29 AM »

I love the fabric of your Mei Tai - I've been using one with my LO for the longest time - and at 33lbs, it's still comfy. Smiley

My only concern is that it looks like the straps are wrapped around her legs - I don't know if that is safe or not.  When I use mine, I wrap the ties under her bottom and bring them back around and tie it in the front so I can make sure nothing gets loose.  There are a lot of sites that have directions with pics on how to use one, and I haven't seen a direction on wrapping them around the baby's legs - I'd just be concerned about blood circulation and what not. 

Happy Mei Tai wearing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoopedyLoop
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008 02:04:09 PM »

Charfish - thanks for the note. I will look at sites on how to wear it and alter the way I had it. I just loosely wrapped them around her legs after I tightly did under her bottom; more to take up some of the strap length than anything else. But you're right - there's a better way. Thanks for letting me know Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008 02:23:21 PM »

Charfish - thanks for the note. I will look at sites on how to wear it and alter the way I had it. I just loosely wrapped them around her legs after I tightly did under her bottom; more to take up some of the strap length than anything else. But you're right - there's a better way. Thanks for letting me know Smiley

Here are some super instructions   http://www.babyhawk.com/Instructions/#backcarry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
iamblessed
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008 03:17:16 PM »

This is really cool - and cute skirt! 
What tute did you use?  I wanna make one!  My 9 mo old is around 23/24 lbs!!  I'd love to wear him, but he's so heavy that most slings/snugglies don't work...is this comfy?  I wonder if my chunker would be hard to carry around?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoopedyLoop
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008 03:24:30 PM »

I used this tutorial.

http://christmasevetwins.blogspot.com/2007/10/make-scandi.html

I bet it would feel so much better to carry your cutie in one of these!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

iamblessed
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008 03:37:31 PM »

Thanks so much!!  It looks HARD but when I do get some time, i wanna try it!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008 04:46:39 PM »

I have a great backpack for my baby that I got at a second hand shop. I got it for free when I took her old clothes in for credit. I love it more than the stroller because it leaves me hands free to take care of the other 3 kids. She loves it because she can see everything and be close to Mama.
I love that you made yours, and since mine has a metal frame, I have to check it at the gate when we travel. It looks as though yours can be stuffed into a travel bag. And it can be washed in a machine! Bravo! A great new thing.

The skirt is adorable. I love the fabric. My DH was looking over my shoulder and wants to tickle her toes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LoopedyLoop
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008 06:14:15 PM »

Craftewoman, I do love having my hands free. Especially since DD likes to try to buck herself out of the stroller anytime I stop. It's cute. Let me tell you.  Undecided That's sweet your DH said that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2008 07:21:00 AM »

I had a tomy baby backpack thing when soph was the same age a your dd, i wish I'd been able to make it myself- i would have saved myself a fortune! AND yours looks like it can be folded so I might have to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftewoman
Tutorial Contributor

Busy sculpting...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2008 09:12:55 AM »

Here's a tutorial I found:
http://www3.telus.net/public/a6a83106/Sling/sling.html
If you want to search out tutorials on Craftster, just put the item in the search field, and you'll get a list of posts. one of them may have your tute. This particular one had links for tutes for all kinds of baby stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008 10:55:57 AM »

having looked around at tutes for beibeis, scandis and mei tais I think I'm gonna go for the mei tai.
all i need to do now is have a rifle through my bits box and see what I need and what I've got... I know i have the padding and body material, but the strap material may have to be bought- for this I'll be glad to pay for "proper" material rather than the jumble bags I normally get my material in lol!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jagger

The restless shall go and the faithful shall stay

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008 01:39:07 PM »

Awesome.  I had a fleece no-sew mei tai that my little guy outgrew last spring.  (He got too heavy, so he'd end up sagging down to my knees.)  I think I'll have to find some old jeans to make one like this so it doesn't stretch so much.  It's so much nicer to have him in a sling than a stroller, especially since I take the bus everywhere.

Good idea on using it for your vacation; when we went to Banff, the baby stayed in the ring sling the entire week.  They're really convenient.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Maybe he won't fight."  "Will he bleed?  That's all we care about."

Is he willing but not able to prevent evil?  Then he is impotent.  Is he able but not willing?  Then he is malevolent.  Is he both able and willing?  Whence then is evil?  --Epicurus
_teacup_
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008 03:07:17 PM »

I love your fabric choices and she looks cozy (if a little puny--poor bird!). I have a MT and I carried my nearly two-year-old all over NYC in it. She slept through a lunch in Chinatown--on my back!

For people who are unaware: You can do front carries with little bitties!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
molly_bo_bolly
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2008 05:00:10 PM »

Wow, I love both projects!!
The carrier looks not only comfy and secure, but what a beautiful fabric choice!!
Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

\"Why are you gluing quarters to the floor?\" \"I don\'t have to explain my art to you, Warren.\"
psoupdesigns
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2008 07:01:17 PM »

love your material, it turned out great! I made another style of wrap a few months ago when my DD was born, (like the moby) but it is too stretchy now that she is bigger. This one looks like it would work perfect... I can't wait to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

angeleyes410
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008 12:12:38 PM »

I want one of these SOO bad for my almost 18 month old DD, but I can't drop the $100, and my sewing skills are SOO not good enough..::sigh:: what's a girl to do..lol!

Looks amazing Mama!! I def. advocate babywearing over the stroller whenver possible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008 11:05:53 AM »

Ooo. This is way cool. too bad my parents didn't have one of these with me and my brothers. They had one of those big things with the metal bar at the bottom when I was a baby and soon enough I would push my legs against the bar to make myself stand up because when you don't know how to walk standing up is exciting. Then my parents would freak out that I might fall out or something when I would stand on it.

As for my brothers, they are identical twins. Mom could've carried one and Dad the other. Too bad. Haha.

I'd love to make one of these when I feel more confident about it. I have a friend who is having a critter soon too...hmm...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

StacyCK
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008 01:55:59 PM »

Great job - it's very cute!

I've made over 50 Mei Tai's (I used to sell them) and they are so nice to carry babies and toddlers.  My suggestions for making them for those that are thinking about it:

1 - Use upholstery thread - it is very hard to break that thread and you want the carrier to be extra sturdy with babies.
2 - Choose your fabric carefully.  You don't want it to be too stiff, because it makes it hard to tie.  You don't want it to be too thin, because it may rip with weight on it.  You don't want it to have too much stretch.  I usually went for a thick cotton with just a touch of stretch in it for the straps.  The decorative panel on the outside - you can do pretty much any fabric with it - I used embroidered silk a lot (love the pretties!).   

I'll have to figure out how to post a tutorial on here that I have written...I just found this site.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juliesnider

So excited to be a month old!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2008 02:36:10 PM »

Please do post a tutorial!  I've printed out a few but still haven't actually gotten around to making one.  I couldn't open the link that this one was based on in the original post.   Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When I'm old I don't want them to say of me, 'She's so charming.'  I want them to say, 'Be careful, I think she's armed.'" - G. Stoddart
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Introducing Sona Gasparian - Elevator Makeover’s New Makeup Expert
Elevator Makeovers Season 3 Trailer
Why Your Dry Nails Are Peeling, and How to Fix Them!
Rihanna Makeup Tutorial
How to Look Good Even When You’re Sick
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...