A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,903
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric flowers  (Read 489 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

designdiva18
« on: February 16, 2008 04:53:18 PM »

Hello! I was once a Project Runway fanatic, and I started a dress based on one of the challanges. In season 2 Daniel V made a dress for the flower power challenge that was a little party dress with flowers all over he bodice. it is in the bottom right of this picture

I have everything done but the flower covered bodice. does anyone know of a way to make fabric flowers? I tried Kamizashi, but they are too chunky and stick out, I want them to be kinda flat because I have a large bust already and puffy flowers will make me look gargatuan on top. I folded the basketweaving middle and it turned out well... it is sad just sitting in my closet with no flowers on top...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008 04:54:00 PM by designdiva18 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008 05:16:53 PM »

You could just buy fake flowers, unless you want to make everything from fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
Chilan
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008 05:32:49 PM »

What about if you cut the flowers from a flat piece of fabric?  You could use some fabric paint to color the tips, even.  And maybe use buttons in the center when you are sewing it down... if you like that look.

I'd love to see what you come up with!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stacysews
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008 07:20:27 PM »

Have you tried using an organdy\organza to make the flower petals?  They would keep their shape and stay flat enough so they don't accentuate your bust too much.  You might also be able to find some that is multi-colored as well (Joann's has some in their 'dress up' type of material) which would give a great floral illusion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

chelsiesawks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008 08:16:08 PM »

A really, really simple flower you can make with scrap fabric.
I'm going to try to desribe this the best way I can..
Layer some fabric over one another so that you can cut many at once.
Once you have that set up, cut long ovals. Kinda like this (    ) Next, sew through the half way point in between the oval and make it ruffle/pleat so that it looks like two petals. Do that to three of them and then sew together through the same middle point and attach to your garment!
This will give you a daisy.
Or you can sew a rose by taking a long strip of scrap fabric and roll it up long ways (the opposite way of rolling a joint) and while pinching the bottom as you rool. Sew the bottom you pinched and you have a rose!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You can't let the world judge you too much or you can't live fully..." Harold and Maude
penguingrrl

I'm a penguin in disguise!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008 08:28:06 PM »

Omiyage might be a good choice. Or something like it. http://www.amazon.com/Omiyage-Handmade-Fabric-Japanese-Tradition/dp/0809229099
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Makeup Tutorial: Copper Eyelids
How RHOBH Star Lisa Rinna Keeps Her Skin So Young
Miranda Kerr Reveals Her Simple Beauty Secrets
3 Simple Yet Glamorous Holiday Looks
Freeze Out Winter Skin Issues
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...