A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
699 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with Button Holes?  (Read 414 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

DaisyAlly
« on: February 16, 2008 01:16:55 PM »

Okay Im sure this has been asked before but Ive searched and couldnt find anything so if Im just missing it, please let me know! I cant be the only one who doesnt know how to do button holes.  Sad Maybe someone knows of a good website that can show me? I cant find anything useful. And naturally, I seem to have lost the manual to my sewing machine, so can any of you oh-so-talented people tell me if any of these are a button foot? Or what the heck that long metal thing is? (Yes its that bad, I have NO idea what Im doing!) And the fabric in the picture is what I need to put the button holes in, just for reference. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you guys!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

punka
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008 01:24:28 PM »

Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTjjV4jkBjo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DaisyAlly
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008 01:40:41 PM »

Ah-HAH! Thank you! I didnt know what she was doing when she said switch to the next step but I watched another video that showed me. I never knew what those things were for! lol Thank you again and Im off to try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaisyAlly
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008 04:19:10 PM »

Well, I now know how to make pretty presentable button holes. The problem now is that my fabric is too thick on the coat I am trying to make. I can stuff and cram it all under the foot but the needle doesnt progress, it just goes up and down in the same place. Any ideas what to do about it?  Roll Eyes Stupid coat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008 04:35:12 PM »

I'm assuming theres at least 3 layers of fabric you are trying to sew through. Open it up (turn inside out) and see if you can trim away any excess fabric** from where the button holes need to be Smiley Make a good wide swath all around each one to accomodate the machine, say an 1 1/2 inch by 2 inch rectangle. If you truly only have the outer & inner pieces and they are that thick I cannot think of how to thin it any more :/

** I don't mean cutting the facing piece! I mean anything between the front and the facing, extra seam allowance in particular, maybe extra layers of dunno what. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Organic Burgers
Grilled Steak Salad with Honey Shallot Raspberry Vinaigrette
Cooking With Chloe, Episode 3
How to Make Honey Glazed Winter Squash
How to Make Cranberry Salsa
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...