A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,364
Currently Running With Scissors:
437 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celtic kitchen floor painted  (Read 3221 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

zenthistle
« on: February 15, 2008 07:52:24 PM »

After 2 months of scraping lino that look like false wood tiles of a orange brown color.. very male seventies look..   I used some strong adhesive remover..jaspers I think..
Then  I gave the cement a primer clear coat.. and purchase 3 shades of blue/  to create a large faux slate.. It looks more painterly in the pictures.. but  It's a nice look of layering and really highlights the irregularities of the cement.. (like rocks are not perfect )
Anyways I took the same color and graphed and took my time getting the tree just right.. (I was going for the tree of life).. but ended up with the tree of love.. notice the hiding hearts in it?    I wanted it to look as if it was carved into the floor.. It looks more carved in person..   all I need to do is seal it with the top coat.. But I am very pleased .. Groat is not my thing and I don't care for lino.. SO I am very happy as this is going to be sooo easy to clean.. Smiley It was also fairly inexpensive compared to other projects that involve floors and  the paint takes  4 hrs to dry.. and if you cheat and use a hair dryer sometimes faster...

Myself on the Floor.. painting .. Shadows..

husband really liked the swirly effect said it made the piece look old.. and artifact

a little over under action.. Also picked one of the heart limbs  to  do a scroll action so that you could follow the whole over under action.. my kids actually  walk on this line and follow it around ...it very interesting how they do that..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008 08:08:12 PM »

You did a beautiful job! I've painted cement floors on occasion, but nothing so ambitious. My only advice is seal, seal, seal!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
motleycruiser
Anitsocial Butterfly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008 08:17:06 PM »

beautiful

can you let us know your experience after the first cleaning, I'm curious how it will hold up after traffic & harsh cleaners.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zenthistle
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008 08:24:38 PM »

sure .. this is the same paint  behr  meant for garage floors and house and high traffic.. I actually have noticed more cement floors out in public places.. but they just use one color so it doesn't look as nice, it normally looks cheap So I brainstormed on the  mixing, blending, and layerng.. My friend did it 10 yrs ago when product wasn't as good.. she did her floor in a santa fe water color like design.. I only notced one chip in the paint that she can fix.. with .. some paint.... ( the regular acrylic paint my kids walked in 3 years ago on the drive while I was painting a picture has yet to come off...)
But I will let you know..  I promise..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008 08:44:59 PM »

Oh, oh, oh!!!  I'm so happy to see your photos!

It looks AWESOME!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

**Entry period extended to May 20!** From concerts to musicals and more, what events inspire YOU?  Craft and enter for a chance to win a chunk of over $500 in prizes!
rubytue
who could hang a name on me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008 08:49:17 AM »

That is so awesome!!

I want to paint or polish my basement slab, but alas, it has VAT on top, so we can't take them up to get to the cement. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008 11:22:50 AM »

Amazing.  I wish I had a kitchen floor I could put something like that on. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008 12:52:47 PM »

This is a GREAT thing to do with a cement floor, and now I'm in love with the idea of having a room with a floor that has some kind of labrynth design to walk around on.  (My kitchen has checkerboard tiles which so far is just good for hopscotch!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
zenthistle
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2009 02:00:10 PM »

just for any one wonder how the floor did...  I could not find a good sealer.. nothing to with stand dropped kid ceral that would dry up on said floor then when I went to pick it off.. it would peel up the paint..  I loved it and it was distressed and came out nice..However we almost had to move so the floor got some thick laminate armstrong tile with grout on top...   we will miss the floor but it isn't cold on the feet anymore.. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alykorn

Crafting to annoy my husband.....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009 07:29:56 PM »

You could make a painted mat or rug to replace it.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/38697/how_to_paint_a_canvas_area_rug.html

I make celtic knot stencils because I cannot draw them at all.  Your's was awsome by the way!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.lotsofglue.blogspot.com/
I rant here and post my House Art Project.Look in the May posts.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Zosia Mamet Debuts Platinum Bob at NYC Cocktail Party
5 Great Eco-Friendly Beauty Products
5 Beauty Tricks from Your Medicine Cabinet
Dr. Ava Shamban Explains Lip Injections
This Mom Just Put on a Bikini for the First Time in 10 Years
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...