A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
720 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mural art--paint questions  (Read 622 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 15, 2008 12:11:33 PM »

Has anyone painted a mural in acrylics and want to share with me their secrets? I am starting a really, really large mural. It is of sea life. The panels are made with polystyrene foam and I'm doing bass relief to make the images dimensional. I want to paint with acrylic and then seal the whole thing with a clear coat so that it is durable. Any idea of the best brand of paint and sealant so that it doesn't fade and doesn't crack or peel?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can't decide what to be if I grow up so I have to keep trying new things!
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008 07:46:39 PM »

Where is it going to live when it's finished? inside or out? lots of sun or galley type lighting?
Will people be able to touch it? Be forewarned, small children and miscevious older kids will poke as hard as they can if allowed to touch.

Depending on the light/ weather/ people exposure levels lighter coatings or heavier things that smell bad might be be needed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008 05:57:47 AM »

Good questions!

It is outdoors and will be in the sun, so light exposure is an issue. I'm creating the base from polystyrene foam with a coating of a hardened substance--a combination of a plastic "glue" and cement--that is used for architectural elements on buildings, so that has been well tested for durability. The color will be applied on top of this, then the whole thing coated with clear coating, once I figure out the paints.

The mural is high on a wall and cannot be touched. It will be about 32 feet wide and 8 feet high. Here's my design:

I know it is hard to see what it is in a small graphic like this. The key figures are whales, dolphins and seals. On  the right is the sea bed with octopus, star fish, sea urchin. Above is a pelican. Various portions will physically protrude from the painting to give it depth. If it was "touchable" I would have to rethink those elements because some might be too breakable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008 07:03:44 AM »

Honestly? I'd get Sherwin Williams outdoor acrylic paint. Just the sheer quantity plus the fact that it's formulated for outdoor use beats hands down any really high quality regular artists paints in my opinion. It'll also save you a ton of money in supplies.

I did a sign for a baseball card shop several years ago that was to be put outside daily. I bought pints of as-close-as-I-could-figure standard artists pallette colors (cadmium yellow, Pthalo green, etc.) and mixed in small tin pans. I did not seal it with anything as I bought outdoor acrylics. It still looks pretty good Smiley My sign was only 4 foot by 5.5 foot, so I still have a lot of paint left.

I'd guess for you at least: 1 gal. black, 1 gal. white, 2 gal. cobalt blue, 1 gal. pthao green, pints of red, yellow, purple, orange, and a couple gallon sized and two dozen pint sixed empty paint buckets to store mixed colors Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
manycrafter
watercolorscuptartist

I love to paint!

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 10:02:14 AM »

I was thinking about something like that, but I didn't think the colors would be saturated enough. I think I'll go to the paint store and see what they have and can mix. Thanks for the advice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 12:12:46 PM »

Werll that's why I said Sherwin Williams Smiley It's really good paint and the people know their stuff. If you tell them you need a true artists pallette they will find the right colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikki Reed In Little Black Dress Promoting Breaking Dawn In London
How to Stay Comfy and Casual in Chunky Knits
Get Halloween Costume Inspiration from Nicole Richie
How to Spice Up an LBD with a Metallic Trim
Burgundy Leather - Celebrity Looks For Less
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...