A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
712 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PolyChrome Instant Family Happiness Gym Set!  (Read 1084 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Caine
« on: February 15, 2008 09:13:53 AM »

Craftster.org Promotes Instant Family Happiness, in so many ways ... This morning we were able to solve a simmering dispute with a two pair of tights, a pair of pinking shears and one seam. 20 Minutes including the photo shoot. Kiddo is not taking these off for awhile -- she is currently singing in front the mirror, with harmony by her brother.

Oh my, this was fun.

The story!
My 4YO is taking gymnastics, like many, many girls. And like many, many girls, she wanted to dress like an Olympic Star while doing it. For some reason, among them cheapness, but something else I cannot name yet (or perhaps I do not wish to?), I did not want her to wear a schmancy shimmery costume. I don't mind that other kids do. I just don't want her to. Her Dad doesn't either. We cannot explain. Perhaps we do not want to know ourselves? Nevermind!

Recently she has become a persistent campaigner and I was becoming annoyed. Family harmony was fraying! Also recently she has frowned on wearing any of the tights I have been collecting for her. More fraying in the family harmony (I refrain from begging but I want to beg, it makes me tense and nervous. O Me O my!) Then, bingo, I recalled that in one of my many boring lectures on the subject of "Why our 4YO does not wear shiny costumes for gymnastics class" I told her to watch the teenagers and see what they were wearing -- bike shorts and legwarmers and shrugs and plain leotards or just t-shirts. Aha! Out came the shears, the tights and Voila!

THANK YOU CRAFTSTER! There is such freedom to be gained by pursuing mastery over the things around us ...

Edited to add:
A bit of "How To"

For the legwarmers and armwarmers -- I cut the toe and heel from the feet of the tights, plus a thumb hole and then cut the legs off the tights leaving the panty portion. It didn't fray, surprising and delighting me. Probably any shears would do.

The top is the two panty portions sewn together (with a zig zag, perhaps I will have to reinforce it -- this is my first time sewing on stretchy tights!) with the crotches cut out and arm holes cut about halfway down on the upper portion. (Tell me if this makes no sense)

The shorts are just plain old bike shorts.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008 09:54:04 AM by Caine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wiseowl
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008 09:35:27 AM »

So cute, and she looks so happy. I see you do NOT have a little shrinking violet there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Caine
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008 09:45:01 AM »

Yeah, no shrinkin' here! Thanks Wise Owl!

And ... she just one-upped me by adding a self-made Skort! I am so proud I could jump for joy ... she took her polychromatic t-shirt and pulled it on as a skort ... like this:

Oh my! No stitching or cutting ... ;-)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2008 09:59:38 AM by Caine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sulkycat
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008 09:58:38 AM »

i used to do a lot of sewing for a local dance class, & there was something wrong wrong wrong with the skin tight shiny costumes that the littlies wore - too revealing, certainly, but wrong on so many levels!

as you say, the older girls (& us adults) went for comfort & practicality - plenty of leotards on the girls but then layers of shrugs, leggings, legwarmers, armwarmers etc

so your daughter is most definitely there with the experts! (sometimes us mothers are just sooooo devious its amazing!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008 10:02:50 AM »

Thanks for the back up Sulky Cat and here is to devious crafting in the service of art and family happiness ...!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jayneysews
Mummybuttons

Sewing for small boys is cool

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008 10:10:27 AM »

How wonderful!!!!!
I love it!
The whole sheebang,just too inventive and fabby
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing and generally creative Mummy of four wonderful beings
http://www.mummybuttons.blogspot.com/

http://sewinginmysleep.blogspot.com/

She who sews...... ...wins
Caine
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008 10:12:29 AM »

fabby! i like that! thanks, janey! we are feelin giddy free and fabby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tuff_as_snails

I will flim flam the day lights out of you!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008 10:28:49 AM »

I love it! Its amazing! I would totally pic that over icky sticky sparkle suits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Caine
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008 10:37:24 AM »

oooh, thanks Tuff!

For Sulky and those who have sewn this sort of thing before ... I am worried that the tights will need reinforcing around the foot stirrups -- what stitch on a regular sewing machine? Any tips? Zig zag like crazy like on applique around the edges? (Is that lettuce edge?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008 01:26:36 PM »

wot a great idea!  I love it - its original and totally stylin'.  The teenagers are going to start watching your wee one and copy what she's wearing!

My monkey wore track pants and a tee shirt to her gymnastics class today - both a size too big and from the thrift store.  But everytime she walks into the lobby, they have this display rack of shiny - almost burlesque - body suits (with coordinating scrunchies  Tongue) that the monkey fingers longingly.  I though I was going to have to give in to the tide (like when I finally allowed her to wear a pink bodysuit to her dance class just like every other little girl instead of the red one she originally wanted). 

Anyway, before I turn this into a rant (or continue too far with it Cheesy), I just want to say that you've solidified my wobbly resolve and I will definitely be looking to dress my kid in ways we both approve and not give into the mini-princess culture that seems to be bubbling in girls who do atheletics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Full of Volume
Katia Beauchamp With Marlo Thomas
How To Conceal Wrinkles Without Looking Pasty, from Katia Beauchamp
Five Essential Make-Up Items, from Katia Beauchamp
The Next Big Make-Up Trend, from Katia Beauchamp
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...