A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,127
Currently Running With Scissors:
567 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DIY Mother Marion Wheel? (kick spindle)  (Read 7002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

darkdaughter

Y tu mama tambien.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 15, 2008 04:25:29 AM »

Does anybody have instructions, or a link to instructions on how to make a kick spindle?

I really want a faster way to spin yarn than my drop spindle, but there is no way I'll be able to afford a spinning wheel. My aunt has one, but I live odd hours and it isn't very feasable to spend a lot of time whith her wheel. I am about to go on a very fixed budget (purchasing a mobile home on Monday *cross your fingers for me!* but will still have to pay land rental) and I'm terrible at saving money, so I thought that it might be easier for me if I can just buy the components for a DIY kick spindle as I have the money, then assemble it once I've got all the pieces.

I haven't been able to find any instruction on here, but I'm betting that one of you may have a link!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears. -Edgar Allen Poe

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. -Nietzsche

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. -Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
xampx

Nudge me in the direction of creativity!

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008 10:11:47 AM »

There was some discussion about kick spindles here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=223173.0

And ideas about where to buy them from cheaply.
As for making one, I have seen a somewhere before but I can't for the life of me remember where it was, sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darkdaughter

Y tu mama tambien.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008 04:12:13 PM »

I saw that thread, and actually found the peron who sells the kick spindles on both eBay and etsy. I know this may be hard to believe, but I really don't think that I'll be able to save sixty-something dollars for it. I'm that bad at saving money. Mainly because it's something that I really want, rather than need, so I know that I'd find more 'important' things I have to buy. That's why I'd like to make one. It would be easier to justify buying a piece or two every paycheck (I get paid 5-6 times a month, so would have the pieces in no time) rather than spending a lump sixty-something.
Thank you for the help, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Beauty of whatever kind, in its supreme development, invariably excites the sensitive soul to tears. -Edgar Allen Poe

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star. -Nietzsche

I think there is a world market for maybe five computers. -Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943
roundhouseknitter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008 11:33:57 AM »

I saw that thread, and actually found the peron who sells the kick spindles on both eBay and etsy. I know this may be hard to believe, but I really don't think that I'll be able to save sixty-something dollars for it. I'm that bad at saving money. Mainly because it's something that I really want, rather than need, so I know that I'd find more 'important' things I have to buy. That's why I'd like to make one. It would be easier to justify buying a piece or two every paycheck (I get paid 5-6 times a month, so would have the pieces in no time) rather than spending a lump sixty-something.
Thank you for the help, though.

I've never heard of a kick spindle! And now you've got my curiosity up! Tell you what, I'm gonna search for instructions to make one. I also cannot afford anything sweet like this either and would love to be able to make such a thing. I've toyed with the idea of trying to make a spinning wheel! Okay, which makes me think...I remember a lady who sells instructins for a spinning wheel made from pvc pipe! I think for 7 bucks. brb okay found it but the only way i can get to it is to type in my web browser "seraphina shawl". Scroll down until you come to crochetville link, (a great site) click it, and then scroll to the seraphina link. When the web site comes up clink on her home page link. You will then see her homemade spinning wheel. It might be an inexpensive (ahhh, the word is cheap!!) alternative. I have the instructions but cannot make one at this time. Got youngens in and out of the house that could tear up an anvil with a feather! Hoping this is useful! Catch ya later. Oh yeahhh, good luck on your housing purchase!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008 06:02:26 PM »

Just a quick thought, after looking at some at work online on youtube and such, Maybe you can get a long wooden dowel and add a hook that you can drill somehow in there and then sharpen or attach something at the end that is a blunt, but still pointed(maybe shaving or reducing it by sanding it until the right size). Then add a platform that has a small U cut, then a circle and finally a passage so your "dowel" can go through and then sit nicely in the "U" indentation on the plank. Attach that plank to another wooden board that is a bit thicker and have on the opposite end, sand or somehow get a crater or something so the end of the Dowel can sit in while its spinning. Finally Add something that is round or a fat donut type made out of something light but sturdy(rubber?) and affix it somewhere comfortable between the plank and the bottom so your feet can "kick" it. (also you might want do do something in the area where it will rest at an angle on the upright plank like decreasing the width of the shaft in that area and adding something slick on the "U". Hopefully this picture I tried to draw will somewhat make sense...Sorry just brainstorming at the moment. I am currently waiting for my spindolyn, but a kick spindle sounds fun. Good luck finding answers.
(quickie picture) :Kick Wheel Picture
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008 06:06:44 PM by Kanhoro » THIS ROCKS   Logged

roundhouseknitter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008 04:16:14 AM »

Just a quick thought, after looking at some at work online on youtube and such, Maybe you can get a long wooden dowel and add a hook that you can drill somehow in there and then sharpen or attach something at the end that is a blunt, but still pointed(maybe shaving or reducing it by sanding it until the right size). Then add a platform that has a small U cut, then a circle and finally a passage so your "dowel" can go through and then sit nicely in the "U" indentation on the plank. Attach that plank to another wooden board that is a bit thicker and have on the opposite end, sand or somehow get a crater or something so the end of the Dowel can sit in while its spinning. Finally Add something that is round or a fat donut type made out of something light but sturdy(rubber?) and affix it somewhere comfortable between the plank and the bottom so your feet can "kick" it. (also you might want do do something in the area where it will rest at an angle on the upright plank like decreasing the width of the shaft in that area and adding something slick on the "U". Hopefully this picture I tried to draw will somewhat make sense...Sorry just brainstorming at the moment. I am currently waiting for my spindolyn, but a kick spindle sounds fun. Good luck finding answers.
(quickie picture) :Kick Wheel Picture

Hi Kanhoro! That is a great pic. Wish I could draw like that! Do use a program of something? Anyway I wonder if you could put up a link for a kick spindle and a spindolyn (?!) I've never seen or heard of these items. What is a spindolyn like? Again I gotta say great picture. So much talent on craftster. Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008 04:35:56 AM »

-Well for me, i used paint.net a free pixel drawing-thiny program, but you can certainly use other drawing programs, i just used lines and one gradient.
-A spindolyn is a supported spindle try searching it online, i belive she has a website where there is a small clip about it on that product page(i am at school at the moment and cant access stuff like that...)
-I also saw the mother marion wheel/kick spindle, just search on youtube in the search bar and there should be one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tsuki_Tsubasa
~*Meow*~

Resident book worm..... X3

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008 08:05:18 AM »

Here's the link to the site with the PVC spinning wheel.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/index.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yes, I am a dreamer. For a dreamer is one who can find his way by moonlight, and see the dawn before the rest of the world."
Oscar Wilde
Flowers and Lemons
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008 11:11:21 AM »

I tried to look up pictures of a kick spindle (curious), then found this. I thought it might be interesting for you?
It's someone who made an other version of a 'kick' spindle, with using a simple drop spindle. Somehow attached to the roof  Cheesy
Maybe it's usefull??
This is the link;
http://www.spindlicity.com/winter2006/kick_start.shtml

Edit;    I'm sorry, I just found out she just used it for plying. But maybe you could change the concept a bit to create a 'kick spindle' as well?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 11:13:17 AM by Flowers and Lemons » THIS ROCKS   Logged

roundhouseknitter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008 04:49:18 PM »

Here's the link to the site with the PVC spinning wheel.

http://www.angelfire.com/journal2/donisfuff/index.html

hi tsuki! thank you for putting up the link. that is the next thing I gotta learn to do!! but ani't it cool how she made that spinning wheel? she says its slower but she prefers it that way so she can enjoy the process. again thank you much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Cooking With Rich Future Pizza Recipe
Super Bowl Party Food - Part 2 of 2
Super Bowl Party Food - Part 1 of 2
Spicy Guacamole
How to Cook Caribbean Halibut
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...