A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ridiculously long engagement...  (Read 8459 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nataleeza
« on: February 15, 2008 01:27:21 AM »

Anyone else facing a very long engagement?  I cannot get married within the next 32 months (more like 36 in reality), and I'm not sure if there are any things I can really decide before the 12 month mark (the furtherest out most checklists go).

Anyone else dealing with (or dealt with) the same thing?  I'm just feeling a little left out as all the people I know have chosen a 10 month engagement at the extreme longest.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
nataleeza
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008 02:12:35 AM »

Sorry, that's totally what I meant.  I mean, I can hardly start making centrepieces to store until 2011...  Is there anyone who's crafted anything this far in advance?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008 10:15:10 AM »

Do you have a theme, colors, location or anything like that picked out or reserved yet?  Seems like that's when the majority of my crafting commenced -- once I had the ceremony and reception sites booked, that is.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008 10:15:23 AM »

PS - Congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008 02:18:45 PM »

you might be doing yourself a favor if you waited to do things until it got closer... our engagement period is about 22 months and the things i did at the beginning, i wish i hadn't.  now i'm stuck with stuff that either doesn't go or stuck doing things twice...  wait till you book the halls to do things, otherwise they may not fit with the "feel" of the place.

that said, you can definitely start looking for vendors you'd like to hire, or toying with invitation designs... or start building a website... or accumulating things you KNOW you'll have no matter what (i.e. my FI was going to wear his family's tartan no matter where we had the wedding, so we were able to order that right away)...

HTH!  congrats!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
BoxOfRocks
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008 03:46:33 PM »

you might be doing yourself a favor if you waited to do things until it got closer... our engagement period is about 22 months and the things i did at the beginning, i wish i hadn't.  now i'm stuck with stuff that either doesn't go or stuck doing things twice...  wait till you book the halls to do things, otherwise they may not fit with the "feel" of the place.

that said, you can definitely start looking for vendors you'd like to hire, or toying with invitation designs... or start building a website... or accumulating things you KNOW you'll have no matter what (i.e. my FI was going to wear his family's tartan no matter where we had the wedding, so we were able to order that right away)...

Great advice.  If you started doing stuff now, another challenge would be where'd you store all the finished products and making sure they stay in good condition. 

You have the luxury of time to do lots of research, pull ideas into a notebook, budget, explore lots of concepts and options, etc.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schtankylu
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008 08:12:15 PM »

Lawsamercy--I'd recommend getting your guestlist together. It's been not only the most time-consuming, but also the most contentious item yet!! Then you will know in advance how many people you'll need to find a space for and feed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008 06:35:42 AM »

I think the best advice (as has already been mentioned) is to just start pulling ideas together.  One of the biggest mistakes we made planning our wedding was buying/making things early and then changing our minds so we either had to incorporate things that we didn't really like or change things costing lots of money. 
So start comparing ideas, budgeting, and even making prototypes to learn new skills (or see if crafting things is even the way to go). 
Good luck, and remember if it's not fun it's not worth the fuss. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008 06:36:43 AM »

Ooh... start a box or a notebook (or both!) with all of your ideas, magazine clippings, etc.

kjlutz, I love your outlook/motto!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dannispring240
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008 03:01:58 PM »

I'm not getting married until 2011 either. I haven't been crafting (eventough I want to =D) because it is too soon.

But, it has given me TONS of time to figure out the wedding of my dreams. When you have as much time as you and I do, there is no pressure to figure out colors, style, etc.

Don't worry, you will have plenty of time to craft. Right now, just relax and enjoy the research, becuase when you get to 6 months before the wedding you will be running around so much that you'll wish then you had more time. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am very sorry to anyone wishing to look at the pictures that I have previously posted. Photobucket deleted my account without warning.  :/

wist: http://wists.com/dannispring240
etsy: http://stumpcrafts.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Track Obscured Points - Shake 4
How to Use Smooth Cam - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Soften Skin - Color
How to Animate Text on a Path - Motion 3
How to Use QuickTime
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...