A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,794
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ridiculously long engagement...  (Read 8439 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bezark
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008 07:32:17 PM »

Right now, just relax and enjoy the research, becuase when you get to 6 months before the wedding you will be running around so much that you'll wish then you had more time. XD

Truth!
By the time our wedding rolls around in May, we'll have been engaged for 2 years. While I liked the relaxed browsing of the early days/months, I was really anxious and it seemed like our day would never come.
Now that we're about 3 months out, wedding stuff has consumed my life.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jadeye
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008 09:56:29 PM »

I just got engaged!  There were lots of horses involved in the proposal....

Any-hoo We're waiting until I get my degree so we have a general time set for spring of 2010 and I know I'll probably chance my mind multiple times about theme, crafts, location, but what I have been doing is making inspiration collage pages and keeping them in a binder along with a rough guest list and a list of things I would like to eventually craft for our wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataleeza
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008 12:26:48 AM »

Thanks everyone!  I knew I'd come to the right place.  Cheesy  And congratulations to all of you who are engaged also!
I've been with my partner for 9 years already, so I am getting far too excited that the weddings is actually nearly in sight!  I'm planning to keep browsing and pulling ideas together until I'm sick of it, and will hopefully feel a bit more relaxed for a few months!

I hadn't thought of pulling ideas into a note book, I'd had a look at wedding planners, and they focus more on getting quotes and booking things etc (which is obviously out of the question at the moment).

I bought a scrapbook today, and I've been printing out pictures and pasting them in.  It looks great!  Here's the only one I've finished yet:

I've been holding onto the main green dress picture for about 2 years, as I think it's absolutely beautiful!  The other two I found in a wedding magazine.  It should all be shades of olive, but the colours are a bit wacky...

I feel so much better now because I really can use the extra time to look over heaps of pictures, and pick out exactly what I'd like to craft when the time comes. 

I'd recommend getting your guestlist together. It's been not only the most time-consuming, but also the most contentious item yet!!
Excellent point!  I can't even guess at how many guests we will have at this point.  As small as we can manage, but I have a large, close family.

the things i did at the beginning, i wish i hadn't.  now i'm stuck with stuff that either doesn't go or stuck doing things twice...
That was my thought, but thanks for supporting that.  I'm just dying to break out the paper and glitter!

Right now, just relax and enjoy the research
I totally will!  I'm a researcher by trade, so if there's one thing I can do, it's conduct thorough information gathering Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008 06:01:04 AM »

Yeah, most wedding planners that are for sale focus on numbers, timelines of the big day, schedules, etc.  Your scrapbook is the FUN planner!  I saved lots and lots of photos for inspiration along the way.  It really does help organize your thoughts and you can actually see the wedding coming together right before your eyes.

Wowww, the green dress looks really pretty!  Are you going to buy your dress, make it or have it made?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
nataleeza
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008 07:39:55 PM »

Wowww, the green dress looks really pretty!  Are you going to buy your dress, make it or have it made?

No idea!  I'm going to try some on, and if I find the perfect one (in my price range), then so be it.  But my fiance's mum was a seamstress, so she might offer to help me make one.  As long as it makes me look beautiful, I'm open Wink

I'm not even sure what colour I'd like.  That green really speaks to me, but I think the lad wants me in white.  I'm that case I'll be wearing champagne, white looks terrible one me!  But I guess I still have at least 18 months to think about that.

But I've gotten into this whole planning thing, I've started planning my planner!  I'm in the middle of creating a checklist (none of the readymade ones are quite right for me, we will be having a small intimate gathering, with a minimum of stress and strain), and a budget sheet etc, so I can print it out a year before the date, and start working through the decisions.  I found the checklist on theknot.com to be a good place to start.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A failure is not always a mistake, it may simply be the best one can do under the circumstances. The real mistake is to stop trying.
~ B. F. Skinner
kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2008 05:36:59 AM »

I'm not even sure what colour I'd like.  That green really speaks to me, but I think the lad wants me in white.  I'm that case I'll be wearing champagne, white looks terrible one me!  But I guess I still have at least 18 months to think about that.

Pick a colour you love and love amazing in.  I wore a dark red dress with a bit of white at the top, a white veil, and had snowflakes silkscreened on the bottom of my dress.  It was great, I've worn my dress since, and my one aunt didn't even realize I wasn't wearing white until half an hour into the ceremony.  The point of my story is wear what you are comfortable in, because nothing says you have to follow Queen Victoria's lead.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
amigurl55

I already did!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2008 09:39:27 AM »

Congrats!

I have about 11 months until my wedding.  We have set our budget (a lot of wedding books and magazines will have a chart to help you with that), scouted out locations, and came up with the guest list.  We've also purchased some supplies for our favors, simply because they were either on clearance or were a seasonal item and wouldn't be available by the time we get married.

You should at least go try on some dresses to get an idea of what you like and what looks good on you.  You can also get an idea of pricing this way, and that'll help when you go to figure your budget.  Check out some wedding books at the library and get some ideas about location, decoration, etc.

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
RockinRobyn
Avid Reader

Oh You!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008 10:45:48 AM »

the day we get married will be after 2 years of being engaged adn 5 years total of dating  Shocked

It's tempting to start ahead but I think it's best to wait on most things because you may change your mind, location, wants, etc.

congrats  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jadeye
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2008 11:04:14 PM »

But I've gotten into this whole planning thing, I've started planning my planner! 

Haha, awesome!  Yeah the page you made is totally what I've been doing.  It's great to see everything coming together visually.  I'm totally a visual person so it helps a lot.

So we moves ours back another 6ish months to have a fall wedding (thats a 2 1/2 year engagement at this poing...ugh) but we have started working on our favors.  His family makes awesome apple butter and I want to honor his family by using the apple butter as favors.  We've been collecting apples and turning it to apple sauce then freezing it until we can borrow his granmothers copper kettle (which it needs to be cooked in at very high temps) and the process takes 8 hours for one batch.  It's good to know though that it can be stored in air tight jars for years without going bad.  I believe preserves and jellies are the same way and would make great favors as well for any country/rustic wedding.  Good luck with everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffybaka

The Lil Hippies are taking over!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008 11:11:06 AM »

I'm engaged and not getting married until, at the earliest, fall '09.

Of course, my wedding will be heavily crafted.   Grin  I've started sketching out dress ideas, thinking of color schemes, and trying to figure out who I want to make my cake.  I've also starting figuring out what aspects I want to do myself, what I'm going to ask fellow crafters to help with, and what I'm just going to suck up and buy.

I haven't crafted a single thing yet, but I have started doing all sorts of planning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.CraftyHippy.etsy.com
Eco-friendly items, patterns, hippies, and more.

I'm on Ravelry, too!
http://www.ravelry.com/designers/stephanie-horn
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 9/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 4/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 6/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 3/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 8/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...