A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purple pleaty bottom band skirt + tutorial (pic heavy!)  (Read 4228 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eyeshadowninja
Too amateur for my own talent.

Let's swap.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 14, 2008 06:05:07 PM »

This was my inspiration:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp;jsessionid=0EC9B95BD2B45B60174C3C7851F19F61.app13-node3?itemdescription=true&itemCount=60&id=14155816&parentid=W_APP_SKIRTS&sortProperties=+product.marketingPriority,-product.startDate&navCount=259&navAction=poppushpush&color=

This was the end result:

(belt not included, of course)

Close up:

And this is how to get there. (It's best to use a stretchy fabric, unless you want a skirt that doesn't fit, because these directions will get you a skirt that fits rather well.)

We shall start with drafting a simple waistband. For those who don't know how, I will direct.

First: measure where you want the skirt to rise (low waist, hips, waist, etc.), divide by two, and add your seam allowance. I used 5/8 inch, but you can do whatever. Decide how wide you want the waistband and multiply by two, then add seam allowance to the bottom. This makes it so you don't have to hem anything, one of my pet peeves.

Cut that out of the fabric. You got it? Now put it aside and read on.

Decide how much you want the skirt to actually "poof (for lack of a better term)." I did this by measuring around where I actually wanted the skirt to stop (that measurement will come in handy, again) and adding a few inches. Across the bottom, mine is 38 inches, a full 8 inches bigger than the bottom band.

Measure where you want the skirt to rise again, and draft a pattern from that measurement and the measurement above. Here's mine:

Now for the bottom band. Did you measure around your legs where you want the skirt to end? No? Well, you need to. I picked the widest part of my thighs, which is not where I want the skirt to stop, exactly, but will make the skirt a tad more roomy, and still pleaty. Mine was 30.

How wide do you want the bottom band to be? Good, times that by two; you'll be folding THAT in half too (no hem, no pain). Take the bottom band measurement and the width and make a pattern from that.

Well, you don't have to, but it makes it easier than just tracing it on the fabric if you ever want to make another. See? I think ahead.

Voila! You've got all your pattern pieces. Is this what you have?:

Yes? Then proceed. No? Then...you messed up somewhere.

Okay, cut two of each piece. Am I making sense so far? Good.

So you got your pieces, now. Good, this is the easy part.

Sew together the two skirt pieces. Right sides together, and all that jazz.

Fold the bottom band pieces in half (RIGHT SIDES ON THE OUTSIDE!) and sew them together (doesn't really matter which sides together, the right side will come out on the right side).

While you're at it, go ahead and do the same thing with the waistband (fold in half, sew.) We're multitaskers here.

Good, so everything is sewn, just not together. Good. Now, right sides together (in case you haven't caught on yet), pin the bottom band to the bottom of the skirt. Do this by turning the skirt inside out, and inserting the band (right side out) into it, and pin the side seams together. Make pleats (I fit four, try not to make them too big, or it'll look weird, and make sure they are equal in quantity on front and back and on placement and there are no bumps) and pin in place until they are the same length.

Does it look like this?:

(Close up of pleat:)

Good, sew it.

Have you sewn the waistband to the skirt? You have!? Well, guess what?

YOU'RE DONE!

And it took no time at all. Saved you forty bucks, huh?

P.S. This is my first tutorial, ya'll! And my first time making a skirt like this. Please be gentle. And tell me if you use it or have ANY problems. I know it may be a no brainer, but, some people are no brainers, too, if you catch my drift.

JK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexi_icedrink

***made in Belgium***

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008 06:21:56 PM »

Wow, the skirt looks very good on you! Hooray for long skinny legs! (I don't have them  Tongue) Anyway, well done! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We all make mistakes, and then when you've made enough, they call it experience.

http://thriftwithatwist.blogspot.com/
zombiepanda
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008 06:22:34 PM »

That is adorable!!! I love the shape!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eyeshadowninja
Too amateur for my own talent.

Let's swap.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008 06:23:57 PM »

My legs are quite long, but the skirt is extremely high waisted. You just can't tell because my, er, girls were quite on the up and up today. It's about two inches under my ribcage. A happy mistake cause the skirt turned out too long... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kitschbitch
Stitchin'

Music, crafts, and dogs...all good.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008 06:40:48 PM »

This is too cute--and it looks fabulous on you!  Thanks for the tutorial....I shall sort through my stash for the perfect stretchy fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

whereswally??
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008 09:57:15 PM »

Wow super cool i love that lux skirt when i saw it, i really wanna try your tute cant wait!!!  Cool Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlemuffler
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008 12:34:57 PM »

that looks great! i love the colors. I tend to be really color-phobic.
great tute, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Carbonated
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008 01:23:42 PM »

That is a beautiful color purple, and i love the texture and the way it fits you! It looks so good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

=]
DRivero

I'm just your basic world-class Samantha

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008 01:38:57 PM »

I like yours better than the UO one, way better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye; then hey, free eyeball!
JessicaH
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008 09:10:44 PM »

i like it better too Smiley i think the length/high waisted -ness makes it more sophisticated, less little girl looking

and i LOVE the purple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Making Lower Thirds Part 2 - Photoshop for Video 94
Photosop CS4 New Features
How to Use the New Layer Palette in Photoshop CS4
Peachpit TV: Using the New Vibrance Adjustment Layer in CS4
Peachpit TV: Aligning Images in Photoshop CS4
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...