A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
535 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Australian Consignment Shop  (Read 3440 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

emmaline
« on: February 14, 2008 04:26:43 PM »

Hi All,

I'm looking to (sometime in the future, not sure how far just yet) open a store selling people's craft.
I'm tired of going into stores and seeing things that are mass produced and have no personality or style.
Basically, I want to take all the best stalls of a good market and make it into a store.
I know this may sound like a pipe dream but I wanted to gauge all your opinions on the matter! I have no clue if I'm just dreaming or what.
I just know there are SO many talented Australians making incredible things every day and them never seeing the light of day.
I'm tired of you having to be the next Tsubi (or Ksubi.. whatever!) to be known as a designer. We are all designers and I think that there is a market out there for quality, modern crafts
So a couple of quick questions..
Firstly... do you think this is even feasible?
Are there are shops similar to this in your area? Do these already exist and I'm stimply clueless?
Would you be willing to have someone sell your own crafts by consignment? Or would you rather sell them yourself at a market stall?

I think I might be crazy and I know there is every chance this is the stupidest idea known to man, but I'd just LOVE to get some feedback from you all on the matter!

Thank you all so much in advance!! xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's stick to regular Monopoly. The game is crazy enough as it is; how can an iron be a landlord?

http://www.agirlcallede.blogspot.com
piaochong
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008 10:10:28 PM »

hmmm i definately think it could work. we have a store in bendigo that has weird and quirky stuff but also has a whole section dedicated to local crafters who want to show their wares. you can find cute things in there as well as some run of the mill things too.

http://www.bob.net.au/index.php
hehe im sure they dont mind the plug  Wink

i think your idea could work, because it works here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emmaline
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008 05:05:58 AM »

Thank you so much for getting back to me!
that store is pretty much exactly what I'd want to do here in Syd!
It looks great from what I can see of the online content, so i bet the store itself is even better.
I might even get in touch with them and just see what's going on
Thank you!! It's nice to get another opinion... because its something I really want to do but just don't know if i'm being unrealistic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's stick to regular Monopoly. The game is crazy enough as it is; how can an iron be a landlord?

piaochong
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 08:12:34 PM »

no worries. i love special little boutiques like my local bob. they are awesome and you know you're getting original and special stuff.
good luck with the plans!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ms.cate
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008 08:02:51 PM »

Great idea, I consign in a few shops that have a wonderful diverse range of works.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

claraohara
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008 07:05:27 AM »

That is a fantastic idea!
Where in Sydney would you be thinking of starting this venture.
I have been dreaming of selling my creations in a cute boutique kinda store-especially after the xmas pressies I made this year were a huge hit.
I am sorta in the process of trying lots of new things to see what I'm best at and making as many things as possible to sell at the local markets......Hopefully soon, but sadly I have no one to do it with Sad All my friends think I'm super nerdy and my man would get bored.
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008 02:42:45 AM »

I'm completely behind this idea as well, I think this is an area that's really lacking in Sydney especially in terms of supporting 'small-time' or 'local' artists and crafters. I sell at markets a little but I think this will make it easier for more crafters to reach a wider audience.

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
fromvenuswithlove
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008 04:21:08 PM »

we have something like that in canberra - its call hive, they even have a little exhibition space which is rad too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emmaline
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008 04:45:04 AM »

hey guys!
i'm so glad to get some positive feedback on this!
i really have no clue where i could start something like this
newtown sort of has the quirky store thing covered and is crazy expensive, but i don't know where else you would get the right kind of foot traffic
do you guys have any suggestions?
i mean i don't even know where to start with this.
but i just feel like sydney really lacks this kind of store, and opportunity for independent craftsters.
i mean, surry hills, paddo and newtown all have plenty of shops full of expensive stuff, much of which may be australian made and designed, but doesn't have that much of a handmade/original feel anymore.
plus prices are just ridiculous
i understand the time it takes for us to make our crafts, but people need to be mindful of what we ourselves would pay for these things! (not to say id ever short change anyone! but i know i always look at some cute felt brooch for $60 and think... oh i could make that for way less!)
anyone got any ideas?
i emailed bob in melb but didn't hear anything back. understandable i suppose!
thanks again for your enthusiasm guys.
if i could, id have a store full of your wares tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

claraohara
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008 04:48:33 PM »

hey emmaline...
That's the tricky part! Finding somewhere where you will get sales......I agree, Newtown and all those areas already have the quirky stuff.....
Tackling somewhere new would be a challenge but could be very fruitful!
My first thought was Cronulla Mall....People walk up and down there every day and most people in that area are more than willing to dig deep for pretty things.
But who knows how much setting up a store there would cost...?
I have seen so many cute new crafting supplies shops open up in my area (Sutherland Shire) but they have chosen such bad position that months later they have gone Sad
There's so many things to factor in, like parking is important. If someone sees the store and wants to quickly pull in but it's not easy accessible thats a damn pain in the butt plus customers lost.
Anyway......
Not quite sure what to do next.......?
Does anyone know anyone in Sydney that sells handmade?
Maybe we could get some handy advice from someone who's been there.
Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog full of food, fun, photography and every craft I attempt:
Blogginess
Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon A610/A620: Set Aperture Priority Function
Canon A610/A620: Set for Sunset Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Sports Scene
Canon A610/A620: Set for Product Photography
Canon A610/A620: Set for Portrait Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...