A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,610
Currently Running With Scissors:
600 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Atari Game Cartridge Coin Purses/Wallets  (Read 2007 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , coin_purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

exousia
« on: January 16, 2005 07:34:22 PM »

http://members.shaw.ca/mroy/purse.jpg

I bought a few of these vintage cartridges from a friend online.  I decided that they were the perfect size and shape to make into little wallets/coin purses. 

http://members.shaw.ca/mroy/purse2.jpg

So I peeled the label back off the front to reveal a screw.  I used a screw driver to open the cartridge and gutted the chip from the game.  I used a dremmel to scrape out extra pieces of plastic that would obstruck things going into the empty shell.  The only thing I left was the casing for the screw so that I could put it back together.

http://members.shaw.ca/mroy/purse3.jpg

I put it back together, and reglued the label over top of the screw hole.  Quite often I found that the lable was unpeelable and you would have to use an exacto knife to slice out the sticker from around the screw (keep it for later because you can glue it back over the screw hole)

http://members.shaw.ca/mroy/purse4.jpg

Before I put it all back together I took some scrap fabric and glued it to the inside of the case to make it nice and soft.  Easy to slide money/bills in and out.  Then I hot glued a flap over the top, and glued some velcro into place, and attached a bow.  This definately makes one of the coolest wallets I've ever seen.[/center]

Hot glue can be a bit messy for fabrics, but when it comes to small crafty projects I find that you can save a lot of time. And if you make any gluey messes just get a little bit of ribbon, and glue it around the seams.  Looks great in the end. Try to pick a cartridge that doesn't have too much writing on it.  And pick one with a nice label.  This one had a bit of a damaged label, and someones initials written in marker on the back.  I'll be making a digdug one, and a donkey kong one shortly as well!

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011 12:08:45 PM by MareMare - Reason: to remove image tags to broken picture links » THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia
owner of exousia jewelry and crafts

shop my jewerly at http://www.exousia.etsy.com
zephren
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005 07:43:59 PM »

Wow! Thats super cool! Great idea. Hmmm.... I could also see those being great for holding soft packs of smokes. But kids, dont smoke its a bad discusting way to kill yourself a little faster than old age.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sega_genesis

rock the freakin' casbah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005 09:37:18 PM »

good idea!  great idea!  and i also see that you're canadian.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exousia
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005 09:42:40 PM »

good idea!  great idea!  and i also see that you're canadian.

Geez, Yeah. I guess its our "play money" that gives it away right? Wink
Canadian money is so....cartoon like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia

miss_joy
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005 10:36:08 PM »

i'ved always wonder what i can do with these atari game cartridge. i love it! great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mirandasnyder
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005 11:56:47 PM »

That's so rad!  I still play my Atari though, so that would be a sacrifice.  But I do hate my E.T. game...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exousia
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2005 11:58:12 PM »

That's so rad!  I still play my Atari though, so that would be a sacrifice.  But I do hate my E.T. game...

Apparantly they made more ET games than they did ataris.  Also I heard that they secretly burried them in the desert in Arizona because there were so damn many.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005 12:57:40 AM »

Woah, dude.  That's so awesome.  I think this whole retro thing is so weird. Definitely awesome as hell, but a little weird.  Especially cause, I grew up in the 80s, and shortly after they were over, it was soooooo not cool anymore.  Like, if you had any residual 80s gear, god forbid, you were probably labeled as the weird smelly kid in class.
  And NOW!  It's like all these new kiddies are buying my old clothes at goodwill so they can be cool!!  It it just me?  Or is that plain weird?
  Anyway, *because* I grew up then, your stuff is sooo cool!  I have to say.  I just checked out your site, and I'm totally impressed.  You rock!  I especially like the lite brite usage.  And old barbie shoes, too.  I love using old stuff and recycling. I mean, what's anybody else going to do with a box of old barbie shoes, anyway? 
  Keep it up, mama!
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

exousia
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005 09:01:32 AM »

Woah, dude.  That's so awesome.  I think this whole retro thing is so weird. Definitely awesome as hell, but a little weird.  Especially cause, I grew up in the 80s, and shortly after they were over, it was soooooo not cool anymore.  Like, if you had any residual 80s gear, god forbid, you were probably labeled as the weird smelly kid in class.
  And NOW!  It's like all these new kiddies are buying my old clothes at goodwill so they can be cool!!  It it just me?  Or is that plain weird?
  Anyway, *because* I grew up then, your stuff is sooo cool!  I have to say.  I just checked out your site, and I'm totally impressed.  You rock!  I especially like the lite brite usage.  And old barbie shoes, too.  I love using old stuff and recycling. I mean, what's anybody else going to do with a box of old barbie shoes, anyway? 
  Keep it up, mama!
 Cheesy

Thank you kindly.  I was born in 83, but in the 90's I was always considered the weird (I don't know if they thought I was smelly) kid, and I always played intellivision, fell in love wtih the ninja turtles (early 90's). I would give it all to go back to the 80's.  Land of the GI Joes, and the my little ponies.  : P  The kids at school always viewed me a little weird. I was into computers way before anyone else. I was on the internet using telnet when I was about 8.  It was great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 exousia

ShiningStar
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005 12:39:27 PM »

Great idea.  But hold on to some of your old games stuff.  I saw on TV that they maybe the hot collectible in the next few years.  Atari maybe one of the hottest finds for collectors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are  --John Wooden
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Tell a Story Through a Photograph
How to Use a Slow Shutter Speed to Create Leading Light
How to Photograph with Storm Lighting
How to Create Beauty Lighting
How to Photograph Spontaneously
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...