A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A handy 15 spool dispenser for your embroidery machine!  (Read 1953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

happyfrog
« on: February 14, 2008 03:44:05 AM »

I did it!!!

I made a 15 spool thread dispenser and it cost me $15.55 (including tax, lol)

I bought:

2 dowel sticks
3 pieces of wood
1 package screw eyes (need one more screw eye, though - so that'll be another $1 - they are sold in packs of 14)
screws - to hold the wood together
and 2 drill bits - one for each size - the dowel sticks and the screws/screw eyes - our drill bits were dull so dh got new bits on this shopping outing - or the bill would have been $5.88 cheaper)

Here are pics of my new thread spool holder in action:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/happyfroggy/IMG_2351.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/happyfroggy/IMG_2350.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/happyfroggy/IMG_2349.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/happyfroggy/IMG_2348.jpg

The embroidering is going SO MUCH FASTER!!!!  It's AWESOME!!

It's really simple - let me know if you wnat me to scan my pattern that I made - but I ended up with a few mods as I discovered the wood I bought could support 15 spools, not 10 as originally spec'd. ..

BettyAnn

Here's how I did it:

I saw a pic of a thread spool holder.  

i took that concept and simplified it into a few pieces of wood.  Smiley  I'm telling you it's AWESOME!!!

So if you or a dh/someone in your house is even remotely handy with tools (you can get the people at the hardware store (I was at lowe's) to precut your wood to the right lengths.  All you need to do is drill a few holes to start the screw eyes and the screws to hold the base and top together, and more holes drilled to hold the dowel sticks.

Really it's not a hard project at all!!

Really quite simple.

You will need:

1 piece of wood 1/2" x 6 x 24"  = cut this to 10"  (this is base) save the rest for something else.

1 piece of wood 1/2" x 2" x 36" = cut this in half  (these are sides)

1 piece of wood 1/2" x 2" x 24" = cut to 10" (this is top where you'll screw the eyes in to hold the thread) - save the rest for another project

2 dowel sticks 3/16" x 48" = cut this at home with pliers or something (I used long nose pliers - the wire cutter part - shh, don't tell dh, lol) - made each piece 3 3/4" long (you need 15 cuts of this).  you will end up with most of one dowel stick left over - but that will be good in case you have troubles figuring out what to use to cut the dowel (I 'wasted' a cut because I used my miter saw for the first cut and that didn't work well - it splintered)

Sandpaper - to smooth the edges of the wood and the dowel sticks
glue of some kind - to secure the dowels in position
wax paper (I used this under the base so I could prevent damage to my table when gluing thru the holes for the dowels)

2 pkgs of 1/2" screw eyes (you need 15 - 14 are in a package)

#6 x 1" screws - I used 6 for the project total (I think there were 10 or something in the package)

drill bits if you need them.

really it's simple - esp since Lowe's cut my wood for me.  Smiley  I just took it home, marked where I wanted screws attached and screw eyes and holes for my dowels and asked my dh to do that for me (I can do it, but he looks so GOOD doing it!  Smiley  )

You might even have some of the materials already at home.  I have used up most of our scrap wood from house projects so I had to purchase all materials.  We only have a couple of screw eyes in the storage bin so I needed those, too.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011 09:40:38 PM by Aislynn - Reason: Edited to remove broken image links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.answeredprayers.aboutmybaby.com
mommy to three amazing children on earth!  Smiley
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008 04:09:40 AM »

Let's hear it for ingenuity!  I don't have an embroidery machine, but I can appreciate your desire to have a helpful accessory without the cost.  Yours will hold up far longer than the plastic one you could have ordered.

This concept could be adapted for a single cone of serger thread to use in a conventional machine.  I did purchase a plastic one of those.

Great job!  And a pat on your hubby's back for assisting you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mam
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008 05:41:38 AM »

Thanks for the great idea.        I was just thinking the other day i needed something like this.     but didn't really take the time to think it threw.   now i don't have to.

Thanks again.        mam
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008 05:42:49 AM »

Thanks for the spool dispenser!  I am going to add this to my please make this for me list!
I can see how it would speed things up - right now I lay them all out on my knitting machine in the correct order...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
Castaways

Saving the world one shopping trip at a time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008 07:03:57 AM »

This is great!  Shocked  Grin Fabulous!  Love that it holds so many threads so if you're repeating a pattern, you've got it ready to go! Been looking at them, but dang!  they're expensive!

Oh, Honeydoooo!  Kiss Where are you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tojoyamoto
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008 12:07:10 PM »

Wow!! Great idea!!  I don't embroider-- yet, but I'll keep this awesomeness in mind.  Thanks so much for the tut!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008 01:07:32 AM »

Fantastic Fantastic Fantastic Grin I love this idea.  I have loads of million mile spools of thread for my overlock.  This is a great idea for my regular machine. 
Now to put on my wish list an embroidery machine.  Thank you so much for the tute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephaniePrice
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008 09:45:06 PM »

Thats just awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Screenwriting Card Trick
How to Have Good Audition Etiquette
Final Cut Transitions in Final Cut Pro Tutorial
Above and Below the Line Budgeting
Pulling Focus in Filmmaking
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...