A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,169
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: quick, easy, stunning pattern?  (Read 784 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daisyprincess98
« on: February 13, 2008 07:17:45 PM »

I want to bless a friend of mine with some quilts for her kiddos.  I'm thinking baby/crib size.  my only thing is, she is SUPER SUPER creative and I can't give her just a bunch of fabric sewn together.  Does anyone have any recommendations for me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April~

Mama to a teen, a princess, a super hero and a noise maker!
lissaw70
Hi....my name is Lissa...........and I'm a craft junkie...........

Pretty please?! With sugar on top???.....<3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008 07:38:11 PM »

I'm just learning to quilt........but I've been crocheting afghans for eons for gifts..........so here's my suggestion....... Smiley

When I make an afghan for someone..........I try to make sure it's something the receiver will like.........i.e. specific flowers........favorite colors........even ladybugs once!.......... Wink ...........if you want it to be well loved........this is a MUST! 

Just as a suggestion........have you thought of asking her for any of their clothes they've outgrown?...........Favorite outfits could add up to a much loved quilt........... Wink  (I've even thought of using my son's stuffed animals to do one......... Grin )

And if their mother truly is a creative person...........she'll appreciate the hard work that goes into anything you do for  them......... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mama was wrong..........idle hands lead to fantabulous projects!!
daisyprincess98
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008 10:52:11 PM »

Just as a suggestion........have you thought of asking her for any of their clothes they've outgrown?...........Favorite outfits could add up to a much loved quilt........... Wink  (I've even thought of using my son's stuffed animals to do one......... Grin )

I love this idea, but I want it to be anonymous  Grin

And if their mother truly is a creative person...........she'll appreciate the hard work that goes into anything you do for  them......... Smiley

and this is an EXCELLENT point Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April~

Mama to a teen, a princess, a super hero and a noise maker!
JeanC
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008 02:19:08 PM »

I want to bless a friend of mine with some quilts for her kiddos.  I'm thinking baby/crib size.  my only thing is, she is SUPER SUPER creative and I can't give her just a bunch of fabric sewn together.  Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

One REALLY good source I've found is http://quilterscache.com  There are so many patterns there.

I did this pattern from their site last year (http://quilterscache.com/B/BestFriendsBlock.html).  You can have a lot of fun playing with colors and fabrics.  The background fabrics on mine were white and cream because we wanted to let people sign it as a get well card for a co-worker with cancer.  Most of the diamonds were batiks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smudgycat
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008 09:23:47 PM »

I did a quilt top in Yellow Brick Road, and it was a super easy first quilt.  I don't know if I would call it stunning, but you could totally finish it in a weekend with minimal stress and anxiety.  I also liked that it was based on using fat quarters, so I didn't have to deal with large pieces of fabric and cats at the same time.  I have a picture of my quilt top in my profile, but the pattern picture was much prettier. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've got a handful of vintage patterns up for trade/swap (1950s/60s): Monograms, embellished bags, men's robe, lace work, spats/bags, bell bottom, mod dress.  PM if interested.
kaledrina
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008 09:31:22 PM »

Still a work in progress... But I'm making a disappearing 9-patch for my first quilt. i only used 9 different fabrics to minimize stress and confusion. Looking good so far... So close to having the top finished! (It's been one week, about 1-2hours/night at most. )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pokeedog

Quilt, Cook, Gocco, Clothes and Home

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008 07:58:12 PM »

This book is great, I made the wheel quilt pictured on the right. Stunning, looks complicated but is easy and pretty fast. I made it in about 10 hours. Not including shopping time.

http://www.purlsoho.com/purl/our_books

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DesignCat
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008 06:59:36 AM »

Aw, what a nice thing to do!

I quickly thought of a pattern designed by an online forum buddy called Sassy Sixteen (the pattern, not the buddy.) 

This could be really fun with some batiks in particular, or with some polka dot fabric thrown in.  About the batiks idea, I have several of them in a sort of soap bubble range of colors - pinks, aquas, yellows.  So, sort of baby-appropriate, but artsy rather than cutesy.

Anyway, here's a link to her pattern on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/54-x-66-Sassy-Sixteen-Quilt-Pattern-NEW_W0QQitemZ360003096760QQcmdZViewItem

GL!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~April

"Mortals must do what they are here to creatively do or they will become cranky." ~ Jill Badonsky, Muse Channeler  ;-)
roobee
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008 01:13:53 AM »

Have you seen all the cute baby patterns at
www.fatcatpatterns.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Yummy Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies
How to Make Delicious Lemon-and-Sugar Mini Biscuits
How to Make Gooey Caramel Apple Hand Pies
Red Velvet Cheesecake Recipe
Crispy Chocolate Hearts Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...