A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 299,151
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple sweater pattern  (Read 1045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tnquilter
« on: February 13, 2008 01:29:14 AM »

I love to knit but I am afraid to try a sweater.  Does anyone know of a simple pattern for a beginner that might be forgiving alittle?

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mary
soozeq
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008 07:28:40 AM »

You could do one like this - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=226886.0 it's just 4 rectangles sewn together. You don't have to use such big needles though, it can be done with size 10s.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
AsphaltQueen
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008 11:12:21 AM »

I'm working on this one, Sirdar #8459. It's my first adult sweater and it seems to going pretty well for me (I'm using Noro yarn for the first time and I like knitting with it). It's been just ribbing and stockinette stitch so far. Should get a little more complicated once I get up to the neckline, but for now it's just stitch, stitch, stitch.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruby_soho

That's what she said.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008 11:15:25 AM »

that one's cute, AsphaltQueen...i can't wait to see what it will look like when finished!  i'm looking for a pattern for my first sweater, too, but that one wouldn't be very good on me...  i'm looking forward to more suggestions Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i care about you a homemade oven mitt's worth.
AsphaltQueen
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008 11:39:56 AM »

Well, here's the next one on my list. I'll probably get to it in a few years.  Grin

If the Banff from knitty. Here's a link.
http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/PATTbanff.html

And that is the extent of my adult sweater-pattern knowledge.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Riki
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2008 05:19:15 PM »

I love to knit but I am afraid to try a sweater.  Does anyone know of a simple pattern for a beginner that might be forgiving alittle?

thanks
IMHO the best and most forgiving sweater pattern for a beginner is a top-down raglan and there is an excellent pattern and KAL for that on Craftster (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=152316.0) - you can try them on as you go and since it is knit in one piece there isn't the hassle of seaming. They are the most adaptable, adjustable type sweaters I can imagine - you can do either pullover or cardigan, you can add a cable down the sleeve, down the front, or wherever you want. Or just use a pretty yarn and no pattern in the knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tajhia
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008 05:45:12 PM »

I was also going to suggest a top-down raglan - very easy, pretty much no seaming required, and all you need to be able to do is knit, purl increase etc....

I like this pattern - http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html because you can plug your own measurements in to it and get a sweater that fits perfectly - I have used it to make sweaters for 4 kids (age 3, 5, 7 and 9 years old) and also am making one using it for myself.... so it really does fit all sizes!  IT is also great because you can use any yarn and needles you happen to have around too.. just calculate your gauge, measure yourself and away you go..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008 06:39:07 PM »

There's more sweater pattern generators at knittingfool.com and thedietdiary.com/blog that work along the same principles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
nat12
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008 03:56:52 PM »

Mmm, that dietdiary site is good.  It's a top down round yoke sweater, for  if you dont really want a normal raglan style. It's made on the same principles, you just increase around the whole thing, rather than just at the 'arm seam' bits that you would on a normal raglan. 
Tubey from knitty was my first (successful) sweater.  It's a very simple knit, looks pretty good on a wide range of bod's and you can customise it a bit too with colours, stripes, FI on a sleeve etc.
Are you going for an 'in the round' sweater or a flat one?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008 08:42:01 PM »

There's a lot of good knitting tips on the dietdiary. Well worth spending some time looking at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Testing Out the Skineez Skincarewear
Learn How to Wash Every Type of Fabric
Best Dressed Stars: Selena Gomez, Julianne Hough and Jessica Alba
How to Make an Embellished Crystal Collar for a Button-Up Blouse
Non-Boring Ways To Wear A LNA White T-Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...