A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn substitution help needed please - cotton/bamboo wanted  (Read 250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2008 09:38:50 PM »

I would like to make a sweater for The Boy. The pattern calls for Caron Simply Soft Shadows (acrylic 4 ply worsted), but he has requested that I try to find something in cotton instead. I think it will need to be something either tightly spun, or blended with another fiber, so that it does not just stretch out and hang like a dishcloth. (I made a summer top for myself out of Bernat Handicrafter Cotton and the results were not that great Sad)

It needs to be something relatively inexpensive, too, as The Boy is not a small Boy and the pattern calls for 15 skeins of the Caron (2295 yards total).... I would need to stay under $5/3oz, tops.

I am currently looking at Bernat Denim Style, which is an acrylic/cotton blend, or Brown Sheep Serendipity (60% cotton, 40% wool). Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm interested in hearning about bamboo yarns or blends, too, as I have seen a few on eBay that look reasonably priced. I have felt ready-made bamboo fiber socks and they are quite lovely; however, I don't know anyone who has knit with bamboo.

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trinabrielle
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008 10:40:35 PM »

You could try Lionbrand Cotton-Ease. It's fairly new, and comes in some nice colors. It's 50% acrylic/50% cotton. I haven't knit with it personally, but in the ball it feels pretty nice. I've seen it at Michael's.

http://store.knitting-warehouse.com/yarn-lion-cottonease.html

I know you're looking for cotton, or bamboo, but I'm also going to suggest Bernat Soy yarn. It's 50% acrylic/50% soy and feels really soft knit up. My Michael's currently has it on clearance for $2.00/2.5 oz. ball.

http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=soy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun and recycled yarns:
http://TBFibers.etsy.com

Handmade hats, scarves, and other fun accessories:
http://TrinaBrielle.etsy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trinabrielle
redwitch
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008 06:56:48 PM »

You are clearly aware that it needs to be tightly spun: however, to stop cotton from stretching and sagging (irreversibly) it needs to be tightly knit as well. That will make the item heavier (and it would be heavy enough anyway as cotton is heavy, that's part of the reason it stretches itself out of shape so readily - beside its lack of elasticity).

I would ask him why he wants cotton: if it is because he finds acrylic scratchy, a soft acrylic or anything soft would be fine. On the other hand, if it's because he finds acrylic clammy, you would have to think about different options.

Remember that for a good match for size you only need the gauge to match the pattern's. You could use pure alpaca in the same gauge for a very warm jumper. Or bamboo for a 'jumper' for warm weather,

Yarndex.com is a useful index of many knitting fibres, might be useful, or if you are on or could join Ravelry you might find it useful to see what others like or have used for similar garments or for the same pattern.

Do be flexible: you are likely more knowledgeable about fibres for knitting than the boy is, so he might mean something different by 'cotton not acrylic' than literally cotton and no acrylic. Bamboo/cotton or bamboo/wool (preferably mostly bamboo and less 'other') are better substitutes IMO. But you and the boy are best qualified to decide.

I won't recommend anything as the brands you have available to you are not available to me in NZ, but I will add another 2 cents to say don't pay through the nose, whatever blend you prefer is most likely available at a reasonable price, you don't have to pay Rowan prices for example to get a good product.

I don't recall anyone saying that they disliked knitting with bamboo or the feel of it or the result etc. If you are looking at bamboo/bamboo blends you might also like to consider maize/corn/rayon/etc. (as well as the soy already mentioned).

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Gift Tag Using Wrapping Paper
How to Stitch Seams Together
How to Replace Yarn
How to Select Knitting Needles
How to Sew a Tote Bag
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...