A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pack N Play, Playpen or Portable Crib sheets! Now with TUTORIAL!  (Read 13391 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kymy
« on: February 13, 2008 12:16:02 AM »

So the girls still sleep in a pack n play at their dads house.  I know a lot of people who use them instead of cribs,  but those mats can get yucky without a sheet... but the sheets are $10-$15 each & they only use 1 yard of fabric, so I made my own!!!!  I will post a tute in my blog & on here shortly, they are made identical to the crib sheets, just different measurements & proportions.

TO MAKE THESE... These are done the EXACT same way as my crib sheets but with different measurements!!!!   

PLAYARD SHEET TUTORIAL... 

They are SUPER easy to make & a HUGE money saver, you can even make them out of old sheets from the thrift store!  Some patterns call for a little less fabric, but I like this sizing because it fits over the mattress VERY well with the extra on the back, & I have never had any of them come off my sons bed.

You need 1 yard of woven (no stretch) PRE-WASHED fabric. knits stretch all over, but not in the seams so they require different measurements

4 9" peices of 1/4" or 3/8" elastic

Scissors or Rotary cutter

Sewing Machine

Matching thread...

First you want to cut your fabric to be 45" X 35" (45" X 36" if you want to hem the ends) piece of Fabric.  This MUST be pre-washed, otherwise the first time it is washed it will never fit the mattress as well again!

Next if you want to just serge or zig zag the raw edges then you just do that. If you want to hem the raw edges then cut it 36" instead & on each end fold it under 1/4" & then again another 1/4" to hide the raw edge & sew it down!

Then you take your big rectangle that you now have & you cut 4"x4" squares out of each of the 4 corners.  I have found the easiest way to do this is to fold the fabric in half so your newly finished edges meet.  Then take the edge that we haven't done anything to & fold it over to the matching edge... this quarters it & puts all 4 corners in the same place.

Lay your 4" by 4" template down (or mark with ruler) & cut it out of all 4 layers.  You can also do it one corner at a time.

Then with the WRONG side of your fabric facing up you want to match to two side that are now left from where you cut the square out together (right side facing right side with wrong side out) & sew (I use 3/8" seams, its up to you!)  Do this to all 4 corners.

Next is the elastic!  Fold the elastic in half & mark the center... now line this up with the edge of the seam you just made (again on the out side of the fabric) & pin in place.  Then you want to mark out 9" from both sides of that point & pin the lose ends of the elastic to the sheet.   

Now with your machine set to zigzag... I found the width 5-7 works best depending on the with of your elastic.  I also set my stitch length to 4, or the longest or 'basting' stitch that your machine has.  Now place your starting end under the needle & lower the pressure foot, you want to make a few stitches & back stitch or two to make sure it is secured & stop with the needle in the down position.  Now you want to grab the next pin & stretch it so the fabric is tight... holding both the back & front of the fabric, pull it through as sew... once you needle gets to the next pin, grab the last pin & repeat, just make sure to back stitch it to secure the end.  Again this is done to all 4 corners & then you are done!

Here is the crib sheet tute that has pictures.... http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=224919.0
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008 04:36:36 PM by Kymy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008 05:04:44 AM »

hmm is a pack and play like a porta cot?
I likey them sheets
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Kymy
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008 01:16:10 PM »

This is a pack n play playyard.  They have SO many names lol

http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9350SUP&CategoryID=3
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
My Crafty Blog ~ Hundreds of Free Tutorials/Patterns for Babylegs, Crib Sheets & more!
Open for personal swaps!
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008 09:00:05 AM »

Wonderful idea. I was always lazy and just wrapped the mat in a large blanket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
MacesMeMe

My Bully the DoofyDoo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 12:50:40 PM »

Oh man what a great idea, I wish I knew how to sew when my DD was a baby (3 now) she was in hers til about 8 mo, actually she slept in her papasan chair til about 5mo she loved that chair!.......and yes those things are hard to clean!! I used a crib sheet which didnt work so well either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my kids reupholstered recliner
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=314248.0
swtater123
Mama Sweettater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 02:06:15 PM »

Congrats on making them yourself!  I do the same thing ever since I saw the price tag on them at Target.  Your's are cuter than the store bought too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

barbolot
Tutorial Contributor

A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008 02:08:39 PM »

Wow!  Thanks for posting this, and the tute!  They look fantastic.  I refused to plunk down the $10 for a sorry sheet.  I just washed the same one over & over.  Tongue  I'll definitely be trying this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

onescrappinjohnson
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008 02:57:41 PM »

Man I wish that I had a pattern for these when my dd slept in one. We uses crib sheet and saftey pinned them to the bottom.
Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kymy
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008 04:24:16 PM »

tutorial now added!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog!
Open for personal swaps!
Mama K
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009 06:39:20 AM »

I know this is an old post, but wanted to say thanks for the tute! I'm planning on buying elastic and whipping these up today. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apparel Tips for Looking Great In Photos
Kate Hudson Wows in a Sleek White Suit by Gucci!
5 Transitional Booties to Step Seamlessly Into Fall
How to Pick a Prom Dress
Cold Weather Fashion Guide
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...