A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Son of SnB DJ Bag w/ my Batz Maru Intarsia Mod  (Read 3319 times)
Tags for this thread: felting , messenger_bag , batz_maru , intarsia  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Oi1knit2

"Knit and Conquer!"

View Profile WWW
« on: October 23, 2008 04:16:20 PM »

So here is my second project i ever did after i started knitting. i did this over the christmas holiday last year. (the first project i ever did was a simple 2 color scarf that looked horrible the first half, and then panned out to perfection the second half!! sound familiar?)

so, for this project, i decided to knit the felted "DJ Bag" in Son of Stitch n' Bitch on page 176. I chose the Patons 100% Wool Merino in Black to do this project.  i stayed with the US13 gauge needles, but with the help of my wonderful girlfriend, found an image of Sanrio's Batz Maru online and charted it out for the intarsia on the flap. the reason i did this was i had almost bought a Batz Maru Messenger Bag about 8-9 years ago, and when i went back the next week to buy it, they had discontinued it and i never saw it ever again.   Sad   

so wow, was this project fun!!! knitting with 2 strands at the same time, made for a very durable bag. here's how it turned out:

the most fun was felting it....i was actually a little bit scared, because i didnt know how it would turn out.  i probably could have felted it a little more, for it is just a little on the flimsy side.  but i didnt want it to shrink too small. once i committed to the felting amount, i sewed the lining in. it came from a pair of extra large sized black denim jeans i found in a thrift store on the discount rack.  i cut what sections i needed, sewed the peices together, and fashioned one of the back pockets in a spot that i thought would be suitable to put accessories into, and presto!

the liner actually took a bit of time, as the bag didn't felt exactly perpendicular. it is slightly oblong. anyway, now it is my knitting project bag, and it's a nice conversation piece too! my advice is that if you like a project you see, and you're thinking of a more personal idea for the intarsia, by all means go to the trouble of finding another picture or image to intarsia. doing an intarsia takes a bit of time anyway, so why not take a fraction of that time and chart something out.  it's sooo rewarding!

there are a few intarsia graphing sites online if you look a bit, and it makes an already pretty cool project so much more personal. i was so happy when stephanie gourley, the creator of this pattern,  left a flattering comment for me about my bag (on another person's DJ Bag question i commented on a few days back). that's pretty shocking.......thanks stephanie!!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008 04:17:10 PM by Oi1knit2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

dip_n_dot
T.L.D.G*

Skate & Destory

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008 05:20:17 PM »

wow i love it!!! this is so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist<3
i <3 Personal Swaps!

Crochet Challenge go vote!
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008 06:22:35 PM »

are you kidding me..batz maru is a fave in our house..great job..how awesome that its only your second project..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Deswyn
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008 09:52:32 AM »

I love it !
Using the old jeans and the existing pocket for lining was a very good idea !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancechica
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008 06:57:13 AM »

Wow that turned out great!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jack-etteOfAllTrades

For He shall give His angels charge over you

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008 11:35:57 AM »

Nice job!  I'm working on that pattern right now with the same brand of yarn as you used, only in brown.  Good to know it works Wink  I'm actually using three strands instead of two with the size 13 needles, because my gauge is ridiculously tight. 

My brother gave me a couple pairs of his old jeans when they started getting holey - I was planning on using them anyway, but now I might have to steal your pocket idea; it's brilliant.

Where did you get the strap?  One of our local hardware store sells nylon webbing and sliders, but only in 1 1/2", and yours looks like 2". 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I recently got a friend addicted to knitting.  The look of madness and terror in her eyes as she whispered, "Maybe just one more round and then I'll stop . . ." will warm my twisted heart for weeks.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Beef Teriyaki Part 2/2
How to Make Tuna Maki Part 1/2
How to Use Sake Lees
Making Langzhou Noodles
Making Kimchi with David Chang
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...