A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I thought I knew how to knit but I don't and I am sad.  (Read 23625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rockadot
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2005 06:51:25 PM »

if you go to www.knittinghelp.com there are videos that explain EVERYTHING.
sometimes it takes actually seeing something in order to understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2005 03:32:58 PM »

In our knitting group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nygk) we tell newcomers and friends all the time that there is no such thing as knitting wrong, just knitting different. Not everyone throws their yarn or knits right-handed and that's okay. Be proud, other people are just jealous of your crafty-knitting talent.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2005 05:19:29 AM »

i knit into the back of my knit stitches for 6 years - i just thought everyone elses knitting looked wrong - i taught people to knit my way, wrote a booklet about it - all without realising
i finally realised what i was doing after examining my stocking stitch and deciding i wanted every row twisted
now i knit properly and feel kind of embarresed when i realise how many things i knit before i noticed
oh and a word of warning if you knit on double pointeds twisting your stitches you will have hideous gutters
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Buglady

Herding cats & chasing beads

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2005 10:48:41 AM »

My knitting rule: if it works, don't knock it. I've had people come up and tell me I hold my needles wrong (I hold them under the palm, American style, and throw the yarn Scottish style, rather than doing that awkward over-the-thumb hold that is most common in my area). Thing is, though, I knit socks on 5 double points and NEVER have any gutters. My socks come off the needles looking as though they've already been blocked. (Flat knitting, on the other hand.... no comment!). Part of it, I think, is that I am quite a young knitter (not by Craftster standards, but in general) and a lot of the older knitters feel the need to "correct" what they see as incorrect technique.

I did some reading and found out just how many different ways there are in the world to hold yarn and needles. Now when someone tells me I am knitting wrong, I smile sweetly and tell them no, I am re-creating the North Dales socknitting method, or the Turkish twisted knit stitch, or whatever. I can usually intimidate the nosy annoying person into thinking I am doing whatever it is on purpose, and they go away, and everyone is happy.

There are a few things that do make following patterns a bit awkward - knitting from the right onto the left needle, for example, or holding a sock purl-side-out on the needles (that makes heels a bitch to turn). A new knitter might not realise that, or know how to compensate, but there's nothing intrinsically wrong with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bead Bugs, suncatchers & unique jewellery - www.theartfulsalamander.com
New Etsy shop! www.theartfulsalamander.etsy.com
recyclednew
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2005 10:57:20 AM »

and it's driving me crazy to know I'm doing it wrong.

Think of it this way...you created a new stich!  Cheesy Hey, you may start a new fashion statement! I just started learning to knit and crochet and I know I mess up a lot but I have fun experimenting with everything I try to make and if I don't like it I just rip it apart and start over! Remember you never learn inless you make mistakes! Have fun with it!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art is a drug in which i cannot live without!
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2005 11:06:27 AM »

yeah...ripping things out is so hard though! I've finally gotten to the point where it doesn't totally break my heart to do it, but I still hate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
katydidnot
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2005 11:25:56 PM »

Ugh, I'm in the middle of knitting a sweater, (my first) and this thread had helped me realize my mistakes. My knitting was looking very twisted, so I watched very carefully at my knit stitches.

It was weird; when I started knitting, all of my stitches were twisted, but I slowly got my knit stitches right. My purl stitches, however, remained twisted. So now I have half twisted knitting. It's odd.

Do twisted stitches have any other consequences besides looking bumpy and being stretchy?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

why yes, i do have an etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/katydidnot
also, here is my tumblr: http://katydidnot.tumblr.com/
craftykate
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2005 02:54:27 PM »

My first knitting project was a red scarf in some cheap red heart yarn with a little bit of black eyelash yarn on each end. I didn't know I was twisting all my stitches. I also didn't know that stockinette stitch curls. So I ended up with what I thought was a very funny looking scarf. My boss however loved it. Said she thought it looked like I designed it to look that way and she bought it from me. I am now a firm believer that there is no "wrong" way to knit. Just creative ways to knit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftykate.etsy.com

Yep, it's a knit blog
http://craftykate-knits.blogspot.com/

wanna trade? I heart personal swaps.
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2005 03:04:57 PM »

when i started knitting i didint know about the purl !!! so i would knit and knit and knit and wonder why the hell i couldent get a flat fabric(stockenete)...it took me a while to figure out what i was doing wrong!!! lol we all make those mistakes , but if it works for you go with it, do what feels comphy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
dustpan dan

Call me Captain Tin Can

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2005 01:54:28 PM »

it just adds a unique touch to wut you make... i always do everything rong but it works most of the time hee hee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can You Wear White After Labor Day?
Nicole Richie Makes a Turtleneck Dress Look Sexy
Top Sweater Styles For Fall
The TV Wardrobes We Want to Raid This Fall
Jameelah Booker Unveils Her New Jacket Line at NYFW Spring 2014
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...