A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
487 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Up Your Hair  (Read 9311 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Clarachk
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010 10:53:52 AM »

I know this is an old post...... but... I just HAD to pass a comment on this. (You see, I was looking at newer posts, then going to profiles to see what else you've made! That's how I ended up on this post.) I am sitting here laughing my butt off because I have hair issues too. Mine is too long to deal with and I often resort to a granny bun. Wear a granny bun daily for eight plus hours and after about a week your head will hurt! I have to let your know that you are not the only girl who gets her super long locks into everything. Mine is always in my way when I let it down. I even worry when I use the little girls room that it'll get a bath while I am sitting there doing my business. Taking the trash out is a joy too when your hair is dipping into the ickyness that is the garbage can! So, to cut my long waffle short, no..... you're not the only one ;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can never solve a problem on the level on which it was created." ~Albert Einstein

"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift." ~Albert Einstein
Demi_Kitten
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010 09:41:50 AM »

I have always been fascinated by this phenomena.  I imagine future historians examining the DNA found in handmade goods to reconstruct our lives!
Yes I am weird.

I think the dna can only be found if the root is attached...not 100% sure on that but that's what I gather from watching Criminal Minds.
However, as a student of Ancient History and Archaeology I would love to be able to find out things about the past by hair woven in items...roman purse with hair trapped in it...that would be awesome. XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Athena: Today I was beat in a weaving contest by a mortal, so I threw a little bit of a hissy fit at her, so she hung herself...long story short she's a spider and everyone thinks I'm a bitch. FML
Pottersprincess
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010 07:12:14 AM »

I have really short hair and still it gets tangled into my crafting, but even more than that my sisters and moms hair do. They all have longer hair and it get in everything, I don't usually mind unless it shows up too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laugh_out_Loud
There aren't enough hours in a day for crafting!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010 09:40:55 PM »

I used to have really long hair. (like, really, really long hair) and it always got sewed into my projects!  I once got my sewing machine jammed because of this! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.  ~Woody Allen
binkadv
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010 02:22:56 PM »

My mother in law is a borderline obsessvie perfectionist. So when my daughter was tiny and she used to knit and crochet lots of blankets and clothes for her i used to sit there and pick all of the thousands of hairs out of the item in front of her. Really wound her up haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Heavily tattooed and hair dyed mum of one, unless you count my husband then two, who has taken up sewing as a way to keep her sanity.
Crying Goddess
Rocking CraftAngel

Every girl is her own goddess

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011 07:07:57 PM »

I can't say I've done this (I always put my hair up so it won't get into my face when I'm sewing) but I have sewed projects into my pants, my couch, my bed, my sister's bed (Shhhh she still doesn't know about that) and my shirts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Quote from: kjlutz
Craftster: Lovingly Breaking up Families in the name of Craft since Challenge 50

Please vote for my Redstone torch for challenge 96:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=431999.0#axzz2vJFPpJwN
Eclectic Dreamer

There's power in an unwritten page.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2011 02:11:24 PM »

I love this post Smiley Good to not feel alone in this issue.

After getting my hair stuck in embroidery too many times, I thought maybe I would do it intentionally... mix a piece of my hair in with the embroidery floss and have "fine copper highlights" as a special touch. (Haven't done this yet).

Thankfully I've never got it caught in sewing, however it *has* fallen in the way of my scissors or rotary cutter while cutting fabric Sad My hair is mid-thigh length. I've also gotten it caught in crochet, tape while wrapping gifts, and wool while using a drop spindle. Ouch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/people/ShahanaKhan/favorites
http://pinterest.com/3pomegranates

Writing Magic - NaNoWriMo 2013 Swap: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=426706.0#axzz2cCRJhOrK

My new motto/mantra: "Eat. Rest. Be well of heart. Keep breathing."
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012 08:51:46 AM »

I can't believe I haven't seen this post before.  I am always fighting the fight against hair.  Not just mine either, but those of my cats.  It doesn't matter if I'm crocheting, knitting or sewing.  If you receive something from me, it probably has my hair in it!  I have also heard that story that it's good luck to sew in a piece of your hair if you're making something for someone you love.  I always tell myself that for comfort.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarlet_nights
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

You laugh because Im different, I laugh because your all the same.

Eh what, no Im a f@$&ing squirel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012 03:42:05 PM »

I had this problem just the other day. I was making fimo roses for a swap and after attaching the last petal I saw a hair sticking straight out of it.  I couldnt pull it out without ripping all the petals off so I snipped it down with nail clippers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2012 01:00:11 PM »

aparently some of the beading and lace on Queen Eliabeth II's wedding dress had the hair of the seamstresses sewin into it so they could be present with her when she got married.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Missing Max Book Trailer
The Deep Kiss of Winter Book Trailer
Lisa Genova Talks About Still Alice
The Bone Box Book Trailer
Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman Talks About Long Way Down
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...