A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
557 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Dear Reinactors - Tabard Advice?  (Read 2119 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Renato
« on: February 11, 2008 08:42:38 PM »

Hi everybody... I was wondering if any of the reinactment sewers could weigh in on a very basic project...

I fight foam-fighting.  Trust me, I know SCA is cooler, my parents were in it, but foam fighting is on campus, and SCA is far away and I don't have a car. And it IS a really fun game, even if the combat is less realistic.

Anyway I've been fighting with-ish a unit for two years now, but I finally decide to really join, which means I need a matching tabard.  I love being a boy; for the first year and a half or so the people I fought with didn't know I even owned feminine clothing.  However, they are really really pushing for me to not wear the standard men's tabard.  It is really unflattering, largely because it's, well, large, but I'm not sure if simply making a "rectangle with a neck-hole" in a smaller size would be good.  They really want to me to wear what the only other girls wears.  It looks like this:

Sorry, that was the best picture I had.  It doesn't actually tie,  but it seems like, basically, a sleeveless martial arts top, so I was thinking about using a gi pattern or something. If I follow this pattern, I definitely want it to be longer down the hip, so I was thinking I would give it wide sleeve holes and slit it at the hips, bordering the slit in white as well.

But this is SO NOT A TABARD.  I want to look kind of period, and kind of boyish, but for once I think I want to cave to their feminizing me... after all, I don't need to look terrible to look butch, right?

Any ideas?  Do any of you wear tabards or something in place of them? How do they look?  And thank you if you read through that whole rant...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008 09:18:35 PM »

When I was playing NERO I had the same kind of issue. With the girls in the chapters I used to play at they didn't really wear the same thing as the guys in their houses.... there wasn't even a girl version really. You were encouraged to coordinate your outfit (whatever it may be) with the House colors.
So, while in the Baronial court )the colors were royal blue, white, and a whole bunch of black) and being a fighter I wore:
a pair of lighter blue (think a couple shades darker than baby) harem-ish pants
A white or black puffy sleeved  short chemise or poet shirt
A "doublet" I made from a simplicity pattern (3806, I just added more eyelets) which I made reversible one side black one side royal blue
And a full circle skirt in Royal blue

Generally I wore the skirt sides (left and right) tucked in to my belt so that the skirt wouldn't get in the way of fighting, but then if I needed to I could just pull them out and look frou frou. Or I could go without the skirt since I was wearing pants underneath anyway (all it took was one ill fated fall to teach me to always wear pants under skirts... even if there is no battling allowed). Making the "doublet" reversible helped with changing the looks while keeping it within the House colors, reversible items means more space in the suitccase. Cheesy

I vote house colors, its easier as a girl to get costuming that way. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
MirthFairy
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008 12:08:48 PM »

I don't LARP, but I do Ren Faires I made a totally functional "men's" outfit. I imagine that it would be really comfortable to fight in and you could make a matching circle/half-circle cape in lieu of a tabbard. I think that the circle cape is was more kicky. Can be used as a parry weapon too.

The doublet and breeches are from here: http://www.margospatterns.com/
, though it would be easy to adapt a different pattern.

The breeches are just modified men's pants, with a lot added to the seat, to accommodate my booty. The doublet is a combination of the men's doublet and the lady's doublet. The lady's doublet is meant to be worn over a corset, which negated the costume's purpose of comfort.

You could sub Simplicity 3782 for the doublet, though I imagine you'll want to make a mock up and any pants pattern will work for breeches. All you'll have to do is shorten them and add a cuff.

I also like www.sockdreams.com knee high cotton striped socks. They come in a ton of color combinations.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 08:46:03 AM by MirthFairy - Reason: link fixed!:) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
littler4bbit
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008 12:17:46 PM »

i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008 03:14:26 PM »

when someone says "tabard" I think of something cut like this

but I like something like this surcoat better

something about not having the gaposis on the sides.  Sorry but one of my peeves is women fighting in a sports bra under a tabard... Roll Eyes  not a Bad peeve per sey, but is a definite irritation when I Know the persons in question can do better.

I also like things like this

and this

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
Renato
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008 06:25:17 PM »

Mikaiyawa,
I would agree. Tabard = rectangle with neck-hole, Surcoat = long sleeveless tunic. Definitely with sides.
I already have plans for a surcoat.  The way that my uniform requirements works is something like this: to join the unit, I need to wear a black tabard with white trim, to look the part.  To have some certain basic rank (I forget what we're calling it) I need a black-and-pick-a-color surcoat - but tabard definitely comes first.  Sometimes I think we need to fight with the tabard over the surcoat.  Squires tabards at least have to be worn over the surcoat.

I had the opportunity to drink in hundreds of outfits in action this weekend, and I think I have opted for a rectangular, non tapering tabard that ties on the side.  I saw some men who had ties at their natural waists instead of belts (I tend to belt my tabard) and I decided that fitting a tabard onto myself with ties In addition to the belt to keep it shapely would be a good idea. I'm thinking ties at the widest part of my bust and the thinnest part of my waist... but I'll be fitting it to make sure.  How does this sound?

Oh and I will definitely be wearing something under the tabard.  I have no shortage of tunics, and a very useful chainmail shirt.  I've seen a lot of girls fighting tabard + sportsbra ... it looks good, but in a very different way from the kind of good I'm aiming for...

MirthFairy and Conley,
Doublets are awesome and one is DEFINITELY on my list of "when I find time, this would be really cool" projects.

Today: Wool pants
This weekend: Tabard
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008 09:06:52 AM »

I had the opportunity to drink in hundreds of outfits in action this weekend, and I think I have opted for a rectangular, non tapering tabard that ties on the side.  I saw some men who had ties at their natural waists instead of belts (I tend to belt my tabard) and I decided that fitting a tabard onto myself with ties In addition to the belt to keep it shapely would be a good idea. I'm thinking ties at the widest part of my bust and the thinnest part of my waist... but I'll be fitting it to make sure.  How does this sound?

reasonable.  I've seen the side ties as well.  I just don't tend to worry so much as I always have at least one layer of clothing (it gets washed it isn't a costume  Grin ) under any tabards and have to wear a belt.

for more eye candy, here are the front and back views of the surcoat made for my husbands squire...

yeah.. I'm a geek.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Renato
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008 09:48:58 AM »

Well you are a fantastic geek - those eyes on the shoulderblades blow me away! Thank you so much for the eyecandy.  May I ask, which reinactment group are you and your husband in?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008 02:28:54 PM »

We play both Amtgard and in the Society for Creative Anachronism.  The first is a boffer group with a heavy fantasy leaning the other is a more solidly historical group.

James (my husbands squire) has a penchant for all things Egyptian, thus all the glyphs, the ones on the front are the phonetic for his persona (as opposed to real) name, which is Voltar.

We are already doing work for a camping event that isn't happening until the end of July, and have a savings account with Pensic on it (the Big annual SCA event that everyone wants to go to Once if they are in teh society for very long)

more eye candy can be found here in my photobucket.. http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc213/Mikaiyawa/
if it decides to work this time... Roll Eyes
I've got a bunch of stuff up for folks local to me to look at for ideas.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Renato
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008 05:55:53 PM »

I'm well-versed in a lot of different groups.  Officially I do Belegarth, but Dagorhir is basically the same thing, just harder to spell (I'm not sure I did it right).  I've been to a small Amtgard event as well (I think it was an opener).  Both Amtgard and SCA are good groups for sewing... Belegarth garb can include a t-shirt with the sleeves and collar cut off, although most people frown on that.

I'm still hoping to join SCA once I have a car, so I tend to make everything SCA legal.  Have you made clothing from trigger?  How is it to work with and does it wash well?  I've only made a shieldcover, but I'm going to be doing the tabard and surcoat in trigger as well.

I'm prepping for an event mid-April Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New York Hot Dog vs. Chicago Hot Dog
Ham and Cheese with Beer Mustard at Eastern District
Atlanta and West Virginia Hot Dogs and Coleslaw
Sonoran Hot Dog with Tomatilla Salsa
Tailgating Recipes - All-Star Chili Dogs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...