A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
433 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: advice for hourglass figures  (Read 609 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

eternallysleepy
« on: February 17, 2008 04:14:03 AM »

help please!

I've got an hourglass figure (pretty much a 39-28-39), and i'm having a hard time finding things that fit right. If it fits on top, my hips make my waist look giant. If it's a fitted tee, it *squeezes*. or looks slutty.

any other craftsters with this problem? any clothing advice?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008 05:13:42 AM by eternallysleepy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
japananne
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008 10:57:16 AM »

As a fellow hourglass person (I think my measurements are pretty much the same as yours), here are some hourglass rules!
- wear v-necks (with little vests underneath depending on how deep the v is!) as it makes your boobs look more in proportion
- avoid anything highnecked (it makes your boobs look HUGE!)
- emphasis your waist with belts
- avoid horizontal stripes!
- wrap dresses are good, as are a-line skirts

Problems I find include
- if trousers fit around my hips/butt they're too big around the waist
- fitted shirts which don't gape at my chest are far too big around the waist (slightly stretchly shirts slightly get around this problem)

Hope that helps a little!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008 12:10:20 PM »

If you sew, you may want to get shirts that fit your bust and take the seams in a bit at the waist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008 01:57:54 AM »

It sounds as if you've a lovely shape.

Here's a few things I've picked up over the years:

• Princess seams are your friends.

• You really do need some sort of shaping at your waist to look your best. If not princess seams, then darts, curved side seams, or at least a belt or sash.

• If you decide to start sewing (from patterns, that is), you might as well make up your mind you'll have to learn to alter patterns. If you're curvier than average, you won't fit the standardized figure, whether it's RTW clothing or a pattern out of the envelope. (I'm not saying I've accepted this, mind you, I'm just saying it's the sanest course.)

• My current favorite shirt is a cotton shirt with a bit of lycra in it; I think that little bit of stretch really helps the fit.

• Stay far, far away from those Mexican-style dresses with the yoke that ends just above the breasts and has fabric gathered into the yoke. They make your torso look three times as wide as it really is; your breasts suddenly seem huge and you look as if you have no waist at all.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2008 01:59:37 AM by wifeofbath » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
MagicalMar
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008 10:07:58 AM »

I have the same problem with fitted-type t-shirts and the squeezing.  And then half the time I can't get it off over my boobs.

So when resizing big shirts, I sew up the sides still a little loose-ish.  Then I add seams, going from the bottom of the shirt all the way up to right under the boobs.  On the back and front.  As a guideline for where to put  them, try on the shirt.  Make sure you are wearing jeans.  Now look down at the waist, there will be 2 belt-loops on either side of the button.  Make a little mark on your shirt at those positions.  Now take the shirt off, turn it inside out, and at those marks kind of pinch about an inch or so of material and pin it all the way up to right under the boobs.  Then sew.  And make sure you do this on the front AND back or it won't sit right.

I hope that made sense.  That's how I started doing resizings after I found out if you just sew up the sides there are no hopes of squeezing the boobs into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To Alcohol!!  The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

doing it all, doing it badly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008 05:04:09 PM »

I would pull a car with my teeth for an hourglass figure!  Way to go for not trying to hide your fantastic bodies.
From what I've seen on my curvy friends, higher-waisted items tend to look better; low-rise jeans and skirts look like they're falling off your body and make your waist look funny.  By "higher-waisted", I don't mean belly button high---just something that sits right on your hip bones or a little above.  These look best if the waist fits against the body (no gaping at the back or sides).  I shouldn't be too difficult to fix that, as long as your sewing machine has a thicker/denim safe needle in it.  Just turn them inside out, safety pin the sides to where you want them, try them on to double check, and sew away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon Hot Sauce Review
How to Bake a Texas Cake
Chicken and Waffles Recipes
Healthy Sloppy Joes Recipes
Traditional BBQ Recipes with a Twist
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...