A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for how to make "Save the Date" magnets?  (Read 1224 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 11, 2008 12:25:54 PM »

I want to make Save the Date magnets (I figure I can make them for much cheaper than the websites want to sell them for - HA!) but I'm looking for ideas. I know the general idea of getting sheets of magnet and attaching paper to them, but any tips on making them? like, keeping the corners stuck/paper from peeling up, making them more durable, etc.? Or... if anyone has another creative idea (preferably one that would be easy to mail). THANKS! Smiley (oh, and we don't have a date to save yet, so time/difficulty is not an issue)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frogeyesalad

Texting from a few feet away? For shame!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008 01:20:47 PM »

Avery sells sheets of business card magnets, that you just print on to them, so you don't have to worry about peeling. Depends on if that size would work for you though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008 03:07:59 PM »

What size of STDs are you planning on making?  The business card magnets usually come with adhesive already attached.  However, those are business card size.  You might want to use two business cards attached to one sheet of paper for the save the date. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mcbenno
Pronounced mc.ben.no, not mc.bean.o ;)

It's a guineasaurus rex!

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008 07:29:29 PM »

See, this is brilliant Smiley I didn't know such a product existed. Business card is a BIT small, but it could work. Thanks  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amigurl55

I already did!

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008 07:34:03 PM »

You could print out your save-the-date info on business cards.  They make business card sized magnets that are sticky on one side, so you could stick the card to the magnet.  Maybe gloss it over with some mod podge to keep it from peeling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I told you: I only wrote that poem to test my printer!

My etsy shop: http://dollycouture55.etsy.com
Gierma
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008 04:36:10 AM »

I bought magnetic paper on Ebay, and printed on that and cut them out with my paper cutter.
I can upload som photos if you like. I think they looked nice. 

The graphic is a bit pixelated but other then that it was good.

The magnetic paper is not magnetic enought to keep heavy stuff up on a metal surcface, like a bunch of papers. But they do keep themselves up very nicely, and maybe one or two papers...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rainylakechick
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008 09:45:55 AM »

I have a friend who printed her save the dates onto a paper that was already attached to the magnets, and when she sent them through the mail, the Post Office scanners damaged the printed images.  They weren't ruined completely, but the ink smudged and you could tell they had been damaged in-flight.  Something to take into consideration -- if you print onto magnetic paper, you might want to mail one to yourself to test it first.  I think you would have less damage if you attached normal paper to a sticky business card magnet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dellastella

the crafter formerly known as avsceriline

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008 12:14:53 PM »

I can't recommend Vistaprint.com enough. I, too, was determined to make them myself, but this turned out to be a better option for me. For $19.14, including shipping, I got 50 magnets, and they were great quality! They were glossy finish, and the ink isn't smudgeable like a magnet printed on an inkjet printer might be.

I searched Google for 'custom magnets' and Vistaprint came up in the top of the page, with the sponsored links, as having a 50% off sale. It seems like they're almost always having a sale! If you watch their prices, they dip a LOT. And if you sign up for their newsletter, you get notified of any promotions they're running. Right now, business card magnets are at $12.99 for 25. It's a few dollars to upload your own graphic, but they make it very easy.

Here's a post in my blog about the finished magnets: http://dellastella.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-magnets-arrived-and-i-couldnt-be.html

Happy wedding-ing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog  |  flickr  |  wists  |  pinterest
rainylakechick
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008 12:53:36 PM »

$20 for 50 magnets... quite a deal indeed! 

Love the website, Amanda!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dellastella

the crafter formerly known as avsceriline

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008 04:44:51 PM »

Thanks, rainylakechick! The website was truly a labor of love. I spent hours on it! But so far, it's proven very helpful for the people traveling for our wedding.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog  |  flickr  |  wists  |  pinterest
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Fill Flash technique
Equipment Needed for a Music Video Shoot
Nikon CLS, Wireless Flash System
How to Use the Flash Umbrella Swivels
How to Shoot a Model Portfolio
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...