A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 309,702
Currently Running With Scissors:
516 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Knit Graffiti - lets have a good 'ol discussion!  (Read 3168 times)
Tags for this thread: graffiti  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2008 11:06:08 AM »

I've been reading a lot about this on the internet recently, and personally think it's great. Obv you have the argument that "It's still graffiti" but it's removable, no permenant damage will be caused. If you tag in your local area, you can remove the tags before they are soggy, rotten and become litter.

I know another argument is "Make better use of your stash, knit for charity" but you could do that as well.

Also I've been trawling the net and the only 2 groups I can find are Knitta and a group in Sweeden. Surely thats not it!?! Are you a knit tagger??!!??

Jessica Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sassy-pants
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008 11:12:29 AM »

I saw some graffiti at my university one day...It was up most of Fall semester.  It was a purple rail-warmer.  I haven't been by that rail lately, but maybe I'll take a look to see if its still up.

I half expected it to be taken down by authority or unruly kids, but it was still up and in good condition when I left for winter break in December.

I think knitting graffiti is wonderful, I know my heart smiled every time I saw the sleeve.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on Ravelry!

Visit my blog to keep up on all of the crafting, cooking, and craziness that goes on!
creepyhugger
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008 01:17:21 PM »

i love tree sweaters...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fortressia
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008 12:39:17 AM »

I have never seen knit graffiti aside from a few pictures online ages ago. I remember being amazed and inspired but nothing ever came of it. Perhaps I will try some knit graffiti.. or maybe crochet graffiti since I'm a wimp and crochet is faster.

Would love to see pics of people's local knit graffiti if anyone has some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008 02:17:23 AM »

knit graffiti... definitely something to think about... i wonder what i can graffiti?  would it be like leaving things for other people to pick up... is that sorta the same?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlestellarbeam

I will live in kindness.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008 09:27:54 AM »

knit graffiti... definitely something to think about... i wonder what i can graffiti?  would it be like leaving things for other people to pick up... is that sorta the same?

knit graffiti is here on this website : www.knittaplease.com

I lile the idea of leaving things for other people to find though...it's reminded me of a site *goes to find it* http://www.neonbird.com/something-wonderful/ not knitting but cool anyhows.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katafi

This monkey's gone to heaven.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008 01:26:42 PM »

I first read about this in Knit.1. I love this idea so freaking much. Seriously. I think it's amazing. I've always been fascinated with graffiti and street art. I feel that "art" has such high and mighty connotations to it and you have to be highly educated in the subject to engage in it. But graffiti is a modern day,  (often) anonymous folk art. But I have been bothered by the fact that graffiti is pretty permanent and can hurt local businesses through vandalism. But knitted graffiti? Who does that hurt? Like littlestellarbeam said, you can always take it off if it starts to get nasty. And it's whimsical. It should be something that spices up an otherwise ordinary day and make people smile.

Unfortunately I've never seen knitted graffiti in real life. But I'm thinking that I might start to engage in some...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008 07:55:56 PM »

the part i don't understand is how they put the cozy onto the item?  out in public?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redwitch
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008 07:49:55 PM »

Wrap it around and seam it up when no-one's looking. If you can spray-paint things without being seen, you can put a jumper onto a tree.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anakarina
(*

dear skull , art thou shiny?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008 02:53:57 PM »

the part i don't understand is how they put the cozy onto the item?  out in public?

another thing they do is use buttons (not knit in the round, just knit with buttons so you can button up the item.

but an easier way is to leave strings hanging off the side of the cozy, and then tie them together (instead of buttons)

oh, and i also love the idea of knit graffiti. the only thing i've ever done though is i crochet a tiny hat during one of my knitting group's meetings and left it on a sculpture at the coffee shop where we always meet. It stayed on the sculpture a while and then we thought it was lost but it had just been moved to another part of the coffee shop for some reason and placed on a lamp.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008 03:54:58 PM by anakarina » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop! Little knits, ACEOS, & paper goods.

WIST-list
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amazing Ice Cream Cake Recipe
How to Make a Chocolate Fondant Cake with Molten Peanut Butter Center
5 Desserts Made Even Better With Nutella
How to Make the Ultimate Easter Cookie Bar
How to Frost the Perfect Cake
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...