A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 315,683
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What is the point of those round things around jeans pockets?  (Read 6780 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2008 09:57:53 AM »

I want to (eventually) make my own jeans and pants, and so I've been looking closely at how they're made. I've noticed that jeans have these flat, round metal things with tiny balls on top of them, around parts of the pockets. Is there any real function for these, or are they just for decoration? Do they have a name? Thank you for any replies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
stacysews
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008 10:24:31 AM »

They're called rivets.  They are more decorative than anything else.  They are sometimes difficult to find, you may want to look online or if you have a Tandy Leather near you, you might want to check with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

turtletrbl
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008 11:50:14 AM »

Jeans were work pants, originally made for miners by Levi Strauss.  The rivets were to keep the pockets from tearing off from stress/weight.  Now they're mostly decorative.  The thing that bugs me is sometimes I want to REMOVE them and that's well nigh impossible!  But you can buy studs or rivets at the fabric store if you want to put some on.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PUFFYsanjo
Why does D.W. have a bowling ball in her room!?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008 12:17:34 PM »

Thank you both for the answers! I was thinking of putting on pyramid studs in place of the rivets. Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To learn more about the race controversy of the upcoming The Last Airbender movie, visit Racebending.com.
bluepie
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009 08:18:26 AM »

what is the difference between studs and rivets? and how to u attach them? I was thinking of adding them to my cuff bracelets for decoration.

thanks for any help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alexus1325
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009 06:11:50 PM »

Some studs have little pointy bits around the edges which you push through the fabric adn then bend them all towards the middle. Other studs require you to poke a hole in the fabric (or use an awl to form a hole without tearing the fibres) and feed the screw-back up through the hole; the top of the stud screws onto the screw-back, sandwiching fabric between.

Rivets, or at least industrial pop-rivets, require a rivet gun, a little tool used to insert them. There's usually directions right on the package that show you with pictures how to insert them. A rivet gun just pulls on the long stem of the rivet, pulling the ball of the rivet into the rivet's little tube, deforming the metal outwards so that the rivet will stay in place, and then the stem snaps off because the ball can't go any further. I don't know if rivets exist that work any other way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Manga Head Shape and Facial Features
ART BASEL 2012: An Inside Look at the Best Exhibits From the Miami Art Fest
How to Use a Palette Knife
What Is Acrylic Paint?
How to Prepare Your Canvas for Acrylic Painting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Vermicomposting
It's a bad week to be a seal...
Flower Power!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...