A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,697
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: FOUND Swap (Send Outs 3/31/2008) <CLOSED>  (Read 7370 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

the franz
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008 08:03:12 AM »

Okay, I've been lurking this swap since it started and I have a quick question.  I work in a VERY rural environment and am always finding little treasures that nature and history have left behind.  For example, stones, river glass, pieces of penny-pipes, old china shards, arrowheads, etc...   Anyway, I was wondering if these type of things would qualify as "found" for this swap?  I am absolutely in love with the idea behind the swap but wanted to make sure that the focus wasn't completely on found objects left in a more urban and human oriented environment before I signed up.  I would also be interested if the participants that have already signed up would be interested in receiving crafty stuff made out of the things I mentioned.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UrsulaDiamond
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008 10:58:18 AM »

i dunno if i'll join this one or not... i tend to find a lot of things but often they are money... over the last few years I've found at least a hundred dollars. I usually find $20 bills. I found $40 once in China town on a windy day, how that happened I'll never understand. If I find some more non money things over the next couple days maybe I'll join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ms Marple

Granny from birth!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008 11:52:07 AM »

the franz:  I think the things that you mentioned sound very interesting, and it's all about the inspiration and then what you do with it. I love things with some history in it - I think that's why I'm so excited by this swap!... Cheesy 

UrsulaDiamond: you could always take inspiration from the money!! I found 20 twice in one week last year, but sadly that has never happened again... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008 12:14:36 PM »

Okay, I've been lurking this swap since it started and I have a quick question.  I work in a VERY rural environment and am always finding little treasures that nature and history have left behind.  For example, stones, river glass, pieces of penny-pipes, old china shards, arrowheads, etc...   Anyway, I was wondering if these type of things would qualify as "found" for this swap?  I am absolutely in love with the idea behind the swap but wanted to make sure that the focus wasn't completely on found objects left in a more urban and human oriented environment before I signed up.  I would also be interested if the participants that have already signed up would be interested in receiving crafty stuff made out of the things I mentioned.  Thanks!

That will be totally fine!  I would encourage everyone to share where they found the objects and what inspired them to make what they did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kristen219
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008 01:54:23 PM »

what would be an example of a large item made from found things? im considering...but i wanna get a better understanding first  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Good morning starshine! The world says hello!

this was funnn
http://www.wists.com/kristen219/
RondaS
Greetings and Merry Meet!

I am better, but still easily tired...

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008 02:20:52 PM »

what would be an example of a large item made from found things? im considering...but i wanna get a better understanding first  Cheesy

just found this thread, but this question made a bunch of things pop into my head

how about a windchime with wire wrapped found items? like broken glass bottle shards and such? that would take a while to do.

or if that is not something you can do - what about making something crocheted or sewn incorporating found material or yarn (a mitten or scarf can be torn apart to reclaim the yarn, or something can be sewn from the pieces of a found T-shirt or towel or whatever)

making a planter or something decorative out of some discarded child's toy

using found scraps of vinyl or drop cloth to make a journal cover or tote bag

does that sort of stuff fall into the definition of this swap?

I love the idea of this swap, and I wish I could do it, but I can't go out walking to find things...

Ronda
Blessings!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

feel I've been sick forever - still tired and RUNNING LATE!!!

WARNING: MAGNETS, EVEN SMALL ONES, CAN INTERFERE WITH OR DAMAGE COMPUTERS AND ELECTRONICS LIKE CELL PHONES, AND ERASE DATA CODES ON CREDIT CARDS!

Give me a bag of tumbled stones and I will play for hours! Wink

Brightest Blessings!
Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008 03:47:30 PM »

how about a windchime with wire wrapped found items? like broken glass bottle shards and such? that would take a while to do.

or if that is not something you can do - what about making something crocheted or sewn incorporating found material or yarn (a mitten or scarf can be torn apart to reclaim the yarn, or something can be sewn from the pieces of a found T-shirt or towel or whatever)

making a planter or something decorative out of some discarded child's toy

using found scraps of vinyl or drop cloth to make a journal cover or tote bag

Those are all really great examples!  I don't want people to think that a big item would be like reinventing the wheel.  It's just something that took some commitment.  A ring could be a big item because designing and creating it would take at least a few hours.

I hope that helps, but if it doesn't please continue to ask questions!  People are happy to help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the franz
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008 03:51:24 PM »

Okay, so I signed up!  My mind is already racing with ideas for what I can make!  I've already got a small collection of my found objects on my desk at work.  Hopefully I'll remember to bring them home tomorrow and post pics tomorrow evening!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kartiana
Getting my crafty back on!

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2008 12:06:18 PM »

wow, I hope more people sign up for this swap. I can't because I'm doing my very first swap right now, but I am very interested to see what everyone comes up with!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pintrest
Salsa De Mango

Collecting plaid flannel and denim (6.5" x 6.5" or larger) for a rag quilt, willing to swap for fabric Wink
the_dez
I <heart> Man Man

And so it seems, only in dreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2008 08:59:27 PM »

it's like the clouds parted and this swap appeared...
-des
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This Ship Will Sail and This Heart Won't Die
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Backgammon Board: Pieces And Parts
Backgammon: Playing The Game
Backgammon Opening Position
How to Play Backgammon: Rules
How To Make a Memorial Vase Arrangement
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...