A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,630
Currently Running With Scissors:
630 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Caution! Wild Animals!  (Read 1580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2008 05:14:47 PM »

I've got a couple of modified commercial patterns to post tonight.

Some time ago, I bought this pattern, Butterick 4188. As much as I like it, I apparently have a genetic inability to leave well enough alone, so I decided to modify the front. I scanned the tissue pieces and voodooed the front panels in Adobe Illustrator to remove the overlap and allow the insertion of -- you guessed it -- a zipper. I found a very nice dark teal woven (which the cutter at Joann suggested be my "signature" color because apparently it goes well with my coloring) and, uh, some King Kong flannel in the children's department.

Oh who am I kidding? It all started with the King Kong flannel.

I wear a 16-18 in RTW and I made this in size 22. I should not be surprised every time something fits me, but I still am. It's such a crapshoot sometimes. But after it was finished -- and fit -- I had to satisfy the next question: What exactly does one wear with a teal King Kong detailed shirt? Why, a teal King Kong detailed skirt, naturally.

I started with Simplicity 5914, a simple gored skirt. To pull it together, I decided to insert Kong-patterned piping. Of course, I've never made piping, but part of the pleasure of sewing, to me, is building the skillset. Turns out, piping is pretty easy. In fact, I see a lot more piping in my future.

I wore the outfit to the annual Dirty Show with a pair of tights which were a slightly lighter shade of teal and black ankle boots with bows. (I almost wore dark red patent leather heels for the contrast, but was talked out of it at the last minute.) This time I think the testimony to the success of the outfit is the fact that very few people mentioned it. I makes me a little paranoid when people immediately ask me "oh did you make that?" Why, does it look like some hack stitcher sewed it?? This time around the couple of comments I did get were about how cute the Kong detail fabric was. Naturally, today's pictures are after I've worn it, so it looks a little wonky on the dummy because of the creases and whatnot, and the skirt isn't quite as stiff as it may appear, and that zipper is a nice lavender, blahblah excusescakes.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008 05:41:03 PM by Dorion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ingysoup
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008 05:51:39 PM »

Hey, I like your outfit -- love teal, and who can't but love King Kong?  I really like the top with the zip.  Many moons ago I had a sexy bathing suit with a front zip.  It also had the same princess seams (if I am correct?).  But this is really what made me reply: 
Of course, I've never made piping, but part of the pleasure of sewing, to me, is building the skillset.
  Yep, and a good attitude.  I am currently working on doing some nice seams, because it really does make a difference.  Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hawkins
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008 06:44:58 PM »

I love the shape of the skirt!  The whole thing is really cute, and I would love to see some photos of you wearing it with the teal tights posted here.  PLEASE?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
water_heaven

I'm your huckleberry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008 08:31:50 AM »

Thats adorable! Love the King Kong fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Stylist Phillip Bloch Talks About Super Bowl Fashion
4 Cool Ways to Incorporate a Beanie Into Your Outfit
Altuzarra Spring 2014 New York Fashion Week - Interviews & Runway
3 Cool Ways to Wear 1 Plaid Top
Fashions Created with Recycled Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Roll with Maple Cream Cheese Filling

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...